main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A New Dawn, Tarkin — Aftermarket Prices

Discussion in 'Literature' started by nom_anor_no_more, May 11, 2017.

1. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Is the Book of Sith worth anything?

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Not unless you have the deluxe version.

The Jedi Path - Book of Sith combo isn't doing bad according to Amazon.

3. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    The deluxe version is the one with the opening holocron. Yeah I have that.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  5. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    The amount of grief I get from the wife about owning the hardcopies of all the new canon and not selling them!

lordpixie likes this.
  6. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Tell me about it haha mine keeps asking how much they are worth now i dont dare tell her ;)

Endol likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Remember that just because someone is trying to sell a product for a high price is no guarantee they will get a sale at that price!

Giovs and ImpKnight like this.
  8. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    I’d hold them. Start looking for authors doing book signings close to you. If Star Wars and Disney collectors start swarming for these copies then they’ll become the main collectible of this Star Wars span. It’ll be be interesting to see if other HCs go up after they’re sold out of stores. If so, then you could argue their are more collectors than published copies. So that leads to an artificial price inflation. But with collectibles that is good for the seller. Bc everyone wants a complete collection, but not everyone can have one. That’s how a 10cent comic becomes worth $200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    You know, it's funny you say that. I've got a pretty extensive collection of Star Wars literature and now that I'm thinking of moving I'm debating selling off a good chunk of it. Or packing it into deep storage at least.

10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Not that I would ever sell it but I feel even better now about taking the opportunity to get my hardcover of A New Dawn signed by JJM at SWCO last spring... [face_dancing]

Endol and UnshavenWookie14 like this.
  11. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    So...just buy the Rise of The Empire collected book and you have them both and some short stories....and sell off your 1s edition hardcovers. $$$$$$$:boba:

12. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    This has been mentioned before, but the inflated prices for AND and TARKIN are because the print runs on those two novels (A NEW DAWN/TARKIN) just happened to be smaller than others, and the time between hardcover/paperback was also a bit shorter (for various reasons). So it's really just based on supply differences.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  13. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    So we shouldn’t expect it to continue for other books as the hardbacks sell out? Because Lords of the Sith hardback is seeing inflated prices also

14. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    I would not expect it, no. As for why the LOTS hardback is seeing similar price inflation. My guess is that because it (along with Heir to the Jedi) is one of the other oldest canon hardcovers. In this case, it's the selling market attempting to create the perception that LotS is in the same boat as AND/TARKIN. Nothing wrong with that of course, just, there's not a real metric to support those prices given the differences in supply.

Also LotS tends to be a very popular book overall, so there may be some level of demand giving sellers confidence to push the pricing on that tile up.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  15. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Thanks for the info. And I would agree with you, LOTS was excellent. I am looking forward to seeing the webtoon manga treatment for this book. Some of the Palps scenes will be brilliant!

Does Del Rey get invovled with any of that by the way - by that I mean technical support, author assistance?

lordpixie likes this.
  16. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    I'm not really aware of the specific project you're mentioning. If it is an official Lucasfilm thing, we'll offer whatever support we're asked for (though usually none is required). If it is a fan/unofficial project we're not really in a position to get involved on any level.

17. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    Thanks for the insight. As always it is much appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys put out in 2018. As of now I believe the two scheduled are TLJ and Alliances, any chance another slips into 2018?

18. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    That's a good question.

UnshavenWookie14 and revan772 like this.
  19. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    My guess is almost definitely a Solo novel, and if we are getting a Solo novel why not a tie in to go with it? Those would be my guesses for another book or two this year...

as far as this thread goes, now I am seriously considering selling my collection and just getting them in paperback. I have every Del Rey canon book on hardback, and while I love them all, if I had paperback of them I think I would be just as fine. :p

UnshavenWookie14 likes this.
  20. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    It will certainly be interesting to see if any other books follow this trend.

21. Chris Werms

Chris Werms Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2017
    I am shocked to see how high these books have gotten, BUT I am also aware that there are plenty of opportunities to read these two novels. Really, Rise of the Empire is a FANTASTIC deal - two novels and three short stories for $15? Incredible.

That being said, I am disappointed I gave away my hardcover of A New Dawn. I remember a little fan legion thing (maybe DR did it?) where a hardcover edition was one of the prizes, but nothing seemed to come out of that (or if it did since I moved, I never updated that address!) I did get a sick Twilight Squadron patch from that project. Anyway, I digest. I'm not losing sleep about not having the hardcover, because, like I said, there are three formats in which we can buy it. And I don't think we should be too surprised, if you go to BN, you can probably buy two or three of the current hardcovers anyway.

My only real disappointment about these editions is that the used bookstores have caught wind of the secondary market price. Every Half-Price Books in our neighborhood has a hardcover copy, but they're selling them for about $50. No thanks!

22. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    50$ is far more reasonable for what they usually go for online. If a seller takes the time to put up real pictures and fill out detailed info the book easily sells for over 100. There was a copy with pictures in ‘very good’ condition posted yesterday. Started at 20$. Already has 9 bids and is up to 48$ with 8 days left.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Out of idle curiosity, I took a look for possible future sales and found this same effect has started on:
    • Bloodline
    • Aftermath: Life Debt
    • Aftermath: Empire's End

24. nom_anor_no_more

nom_anor_no_more Jedi Master star 1

Feb 17, 2007
    Wow. The B&N edition of Bloodline goes for over $100 on abebooks.com.

25. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Maybe here in town (Fortaleza, Brazil), could be i am the only here that have the first copy of Point Of View, Phasma and Leia, both hardcover, in the future here, these will be in interesting prices.