main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Blu-Ray/DVD (US dates: March 13th Digital and March 27th Blu-Ray/DVD)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diego Lucas, Dec 18, 2017.

1. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    I download music (and pay for it; I respect artists’ rights) but if it is an album by one of my favorite acts, I still want the physical copy.

2. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    Same with me: i pay for my digital files but also got my physical albums like latest Springsteen releases or classic Elvis' albums. I will also buy different outputs for "The Last Jedi" since it has become a favorite for my kids and me.

SaintKenobi1322 and Encuentro like this.
  3. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    For me... this is going to be the first notable Star Wars release since 1995 where i will not be buying.

4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Okay.

BigAl6ft6, Bowen and Ody_Mandrell like this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    So do I. Most music I'm fine with not owning a physical copy of. But a few artists/albums deserve a spot on my shelf, so I buy the vinyl releases.
    As for movies, I would never buy a digital copy. It just doesn't feel worth it to me. If I pay for a movie, I want a physical copy. And that's the reason I have over a thousand DVDs. :p

SaintKenobi1322, Bowen, EHT and 2 others like this.
  6. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I feel the same way, TCF-1138. There are special things in my life and it would feel wrong not to buy physical copies of their work.

7. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    I kind of wish they had gone with this artwork for the standard release.

[​IMG]

Sometimes less is more.

I'm torn as to which release to get. I absolutely love this film, but I'm not going to buy more than one version. There's the standard release. I have more than enough points in my Amazon account to cover the cost. There's the Best Buy steelbook. I've never owned a steelbook of anything before, and the cover art for that one has the others beat. There's the Target exclusive which comes with a 40 page booklet and a documentary on the Porgs.

I'm curious as to which version others are looking to get. It would be kind of cool if this thread came with a poll. I would start a new thread with a poll, but the discussion following the poll would be redundant.

8. Jedimaster_Darklight

Jedimaster_Darklight Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 22, 2005
    For me, it always depend on how much I like the movie and if I want it to have a special place in my collection. Since I have both TFA and RO in their steelbook editions, I'll most definitely start with that for TLJ as well. I doubt we'll get anything fancier than the steelbook edition in my part of the world, but I could easily be tempted to buy something more special... mainly because it's Star Wars.

Encuentro likes this.
  9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  10. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I put in a preorder for the 3D version here in the UK - hopefully the box dimensions and style match my TFA version. I don't think my OCD could handle it otherwise!

Encuentro likes this.
  11. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I want the Target version for the book and extra documentary.

If you want the Best Buy steelbook, I'd say that you should plan to go the day it drops at opening time and not not wait; Best Buy steelbooks for big name movies seem to go really fast. From personal experience, I went the day after the Logan steel book was released and literally got the very last one in stock. From poking around online, I was reading and hearing near-universal reports that the copies were gone within hours, pre-orders being canceled, and it being impossible for it to get resupplied. Long story short, there is nowhere near enough supply for the demand and if you miss out, it's gone for good.

Encuentro likes this.
  12. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    Thank you for the tip! That may help me to eliminate the steelbook as an option. Now, it's down to the standard version, which would be free for me, as I have more than enough points in my Amazon account, and the Target exclusive. I'm leaning toward the latter for the book and bonus documentary. I bought the Target exclusive for The Force Awakens.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, I ritually wait for the door to open at Best Buy... along with numerous others who I have actually grown to recognize due to their similar commitment. The steelbook shelf gets mobbed like Dawn of the Dead immediately. Don't wait if you want it.

BigAl6ft6 and Encuentro like this.
  14. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I pre-ordered at Best Buy, they hold for 5 days, so I'm not worried about getting a copy but I'll be there the first day for sure.

I missed out on Guardians Vol. 2's steelbook and it cost me $55 on eBay to get it later, so lesson learned, because that's a fortune to pay for one movie. I'm not even THAT big of a Marvel fan (actually I don't consider myself a fan at all, I just enjoy the movies, but I digress) though I wanted that 3D copy of the movie and ultimately bit the bullet and paid up.

I'll buy Last Jedi on digital iTunes, I have some credit from Christmas on gift cards, it's a waste of money but whatever, it's Star Wars, I don't really mind. Then I'll get my steelbook edition when that comes out.

I just wish I could get a 3D copy of the film in the States. Having that for the last two films, it feels pretty lame not to have it here.

Encuentro likes this.
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Wait, they're not releasing the 3D version i the US?

16. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    That seems to be the case.

Disney blu-rays are not region locked, though, so an imported version from the UK should be playable on all US hardware.

Zavvi Exclusive Steel Standard case
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Fascinating. As we're getting the 3D blu-ray in Sweden, I'm very surprised that the US isn't getting it. Sweden isn't exactly the best country to live in when it comes to fancy blu-ray releases.

18. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    It just seems to be the US where 3D has lost whatever momentum it may have had.

19. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Now I know who to blame for the lack of new 3D TV sets.

Dammit US ! You were our only hope ! You were meant to bring balance to the TV features, not destroy them !

Bowen and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    Springsteen in on my list as well. :)

EDIT: And TLJ really, for me, is like an album I don't like very much from an artist I otherwise love. Since we can talk a little Springsteen here, TLJ is going to be like Bruce's Working On A Dream for me. I rarely listen to it, and I only like a few songs on it, but it is on my shelf with the rest of his work.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    TCF-1138 likes this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't really buy that many movies these days but if I do (unless it's Star Wars) I buy digital. For Star Wars I buy the digital version because it comes out early and I'm impatient. I get the Blu-Ray to add to my collection.

22. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    Got to agree with you on WOAD. Now the tour was pretty good!

SaintKenobi1322 likes this.
  23. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Glad you found that useful.

Encuentro likes this.
  24. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Yeah I don't buy as many movies as I used to, either. It's weird I was a horrible idiot when I was in my teens and early adults, I would buy way too many movies for no real reason at all. Just like, "I liked that movie, let me buy it." Makes no sense. If a movie is $20 you have to see it at least 4 times I'd argue on home video just to justify buying it, and that's pretty... iffy. Like $5 per time you saw it, not great. So now I scroll through new 4K releases pretty often and I see these great films like Unforgiven, Bridge on the River Kwai, etc.... and I just think, nah, great movies, can't really imagine seeing them more than once or twice.

Star Wars is the exception of course and I buy a few copies of every SW movie, digital, physical, whatever, but I get so much use out of them that it's really no big deal. Also Marvel films, they're so rewatchable and fun, I buy every Marvel movie right away and don't mind the expense. But besides that, I'm not as much of a buyer anymore.

I know the thread is closed, but I'm headed to see TLJ for the iconic 30th time tonight. This one theater is keeping the movie for another week, so I'll try to see it another few times as well besides tonight. I have done a poor job seeing the movie in theaters lately, I haven't been in weeks, because I had the flu and that had a domino effect on then being behind on work, so it just didn't happen. Plus when it left the more local theaters, it's more of a trek out to this theater, which is honestly in kind of a sketchy area. It's not really a BAD area, it's just not a nice one, and it's ugly driving over there. It's also where Rogue One ended its run, so I saw Rogue One many times there as they kept it like 3 weeks beyond any theater right near me.

I suppose 30 times is pretty good for seeing this movie in theaters, but I set the bar so high with the last two movies and the first two prequels, it's kind of disappointing. I also saw TLJ at a very high pace in the first month, so I thought honestly I'd have no trouble matching my 42 for the last two Disney SW films. I've never seen a SW movie in theaters fewer times than I am years old, so this will be the first unless I can somehow hit 35 (6 more times) before home video. Very, very unlikely if not impossible.

So you guys are saying the Blu-ray 3D for the UK wouldn't be region locked? I have had it happen where I put in a movie that should be a U.S. release, at least it said so on Amazon, and then my Xbox asks / prompts me if I want to change the region of my player, which can only ever be done 3 times or something, and I'm like NO! Don't do that lol. So it makes me nervous, though of course I'd love a 3D copy and I know a UK source that ships to the U.S. (I accidentally bought Guardians Vol. 2 from there and was too lazy to ship it back, so now I have a random UK 3D steenbok there).

Ricardo Funes and Encuentro like this.
  25. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Ok I am going to murder my autocorrect. Sorry to double post, STEELBOOK. Why does it keep thinking it's steenbok? What in the heck.