main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Time Period/Era For New Film Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Feb 21, 2018.

?

When do you think the new films will be set

1. Before ANH and after ROTS - Weiss/Benioff

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Before TPM- Weiss/Benioff

100 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. After ROTJ and before TFA- Weiss/Benioff

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. After IX- Weiss/Benioff

12 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Before ANH and after ROTS- RJ trilogy

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Before TPM- RJ Trilogy

29 vote(s)
    18.8%
  7. After ROTJ and before TFA- RJ trilogy

11 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. After IX- RJ trilogy

68 vote(s)
    44.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    When do you think the Rian Johnson trilogy and the Weiss/Benioff Series will be set on the timeline? Lets discuss

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    My gut says the Weiss/Benioff trilogy will be a "long, long, long, long time ago" while the Johnson trilogy will be set sometime after 9, and suspect will have nothing to do with the established canon beyond the name Star Wars and maybe jedi lore.

WayoftheJedi, Avnar, Vib3s and 2 others like this.
  3. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I figure RJ is headed towards post ST with broomboy or something and Weiss/Benioff hit the earlier timeline, before TPM.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This is my guess, as well.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Weiss/Benioff will be set at least a thousand years before TPM and deal with the Sith-Jedi War. RJ's trilogy will be set in the future. Say at least 100 years after IX. I think it'll deal with the next phase of the light vs dark struggle whatever form that takes.

KSennia, Voltron64, Vib3s and 2 others like this.
  6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    That's my guess too though if I had a magic wand I'd conjure up some movies staring the OT set between ROTJ and TFA.

Also RJ's trilogy should have at least some connection to the ST, blank canvas be damned. I'm going to be completely baffled if the ST spends all this time setting up the err...return of the Jedi (for real this time!), only for us not to see that come to fruition in future movies.

If neither RJ's trilogy nor the Weiss/Benioff movies acknowledge that Rey and Luke helped bring back the Jedi then what's the point of the ST at all? If these new movies act like the ST didn't happen at all then that means the ST was a huge waste of time as far as building the lore goes. It means that the entire ST will be as inconsequential as the Solo movie might be. Nothing more than disposable entertainment that contributes zero to the future films.

7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Weiss/Benioff have experience with integrating world building and history into a long-form narrative (they're announced as writing a series of films, not a trilogy), so I'm going to say they'll explore the Old Republic period. At least a thousand years before TPM, possibly further back than that. I just don't think it's going to look or feel like the world depicted in the video games, since that feels a bit too similar to what we see in the PT.

I think Johnson's trilogy will be set after IX, I'm going to ballpark "50-100 years later. However, and I've been saying this since the announcement, I think the "when" is going to matter far less than the "where." They stressed the trilogy would be set in a previously unexplored corner of the galaxy, which I think would be the Unknown Regions. I think that's what's going to define and set the trilogy apart more so than it's place in the overall timeline.

8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Indeed. I'm hoping the RJ films are set near the events of the saga films and it's the remote location that cuts them off from the saga films.

9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Honestly don't care. Just get us out of the In between PT-OT era.

Seeher and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  10. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm not sure Johnson's trilogy can be set after Episode IX if he doesn't know what will happen in that film.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ancient Sith War.

Going to keep saying it, until it happens.

12. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I think both could work before TPM. One set during a war against the Sith and the days of the old republic. Another trilogy even further back, before the Sith and Old Republic existed.

Vib3s likes this.
  13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [face_praying]

darklordoftech and TCF-1138 like this.
  14. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    What about concurrent with one of the trilogies?

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Dang I should have added it to the poll.

Django Fett likes this.
  16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    If they decide on whether the First Order survives Episode 9 or not, that's enough info.

And, the script for 9 is written now.

The interesting thing, to me, will be not writing a story about Saving the Galaxy from Space Nazis.

The scope of the story has to shrink a bit. This is something I am looking forward to in Solo.

B3 and The Regular Mustache like this.
  17. xoubara

xoubara Jedi Master star 2

Mar 4, 2003
    I am pretty sure Weiss/Benioff's movies will be set around the kotor era, but I just don't know what to expect about RJ's trilogy. He said he wanted to explore new territory which, in my opinion, has next to nothing to do with when it is set, but with the kind of stories, characters and set pieces we are going to get. It may very well be set during the OT period, and still feel fresh and different from everything we have seen so far.

Having said that, I am far more enthusiastic about RJ's trilogy than Benioff's... TLJ was mindblowing. I haven't followed GoT, so I can't judge neither Benioff nor Weiss' writing abilities, but my gut tells me their series of movies aren't going to be very well received.

What I am more interested in is in the spin off movies. I sincerely hope they haven't been canceled after what has happened behind the scenes with both Rogue One and Solo. It would be a shame, so let's hope Solo is well received by fans and critics alike.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean Rogue One made a lot of money, so let's hope Solo also does well at the box office.

19. xoubara

xoubara Jedi Master star 2

Mar 4, 2003
    Yeah, R1 made a lot of money. I think Solo could do better if it ends up being a good movie.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I trust Howard to fix any mistakes the last two made.

21. Vib3s

Vib3s Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2014
    Old Republic era, or maybe even Pre-Republic, i hope, thousands of years ago. The hundred year darkness has been hinted at a few times in the new marvel comics (Star Wars 9, Dr Aphra 16) to name one period in which the Sith were born. There's a lot to be told about the formation of the Jedi order, the Sith Empire and the wars they've fought with eachother. Weiss & Benioff seem to be the perfect fit to get the scope of a galaxy encompassing conflict between force users right, that and the political intrigues/power plays that occur in the background. One can only imagine a scene with Mandalorian clans under one banner and leader, Mandalore, and the Sith secretly forming an alliance for example...

It's also very much a fresh start, depending how far back you go. Hyperspace routes may have yet to be explored making the galaxy a more dangerous place to be (little Gav and Jori Daragon there), the Republic, or an older version loosely based on it, may be in it's infancy, the tech and apparel much much older and very different in design. It would be anyone's dream to get to set up a story in that largely unexplored era. And throughout the animated series. games and comics so far, these ancient times have always been the perfect foundation for something grand just waiting to be put on the big screen. The Sith in their earlier heights of power and partially self-inflicted downfall would be something i'd love to see done right.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    11-4D and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  22. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    You're making a mistake. They said this part of the galaxy has never been explored by Star Wars lore, not that it has literally never been explored by anyone in the Star Wars universe.

23. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm not making a mistake. I never said that no one had ever been there, I said that it had been unexplored. You merely assumed I meant in-universe rather than from a storytelling or lore perspective.

24. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Yeah, I realized that after my original post. Unexplored could mean one of two things: a story where they are literally exploring a part of the galaxy or it could just be somewhere unexplored by stories/movies/comics/whatever. Either way I hope we get an idea of the plot for these new films sometime soon.

25. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Oh for sure, and I'm sorry if I came off as snippy in my response.

I think the earliest we'll find out anything regarding the plot would be at Celebration next year, since it sounds like Johnson is in the earliest stages of developing the story. Or at least he was when TLJ came out, who knows how far along he is now?