main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit One Canon - Merging Legends and the New Canon - TFA spoilers, very much so

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 8, 2016.

1. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Yes. This. I don't think becoming one with the Force and death are always the same. I've been watching the Olympics. Some of those folks look like they're about to die when they finish sporting their sport. If someone wins their speed skating race and then ascends to heaven during their tied victory lap I wouldn't say "that race killed them," I'd say "that race took them to the next level in ways I don't understand."

Luke had been hiding from the Force, but when he re-embraced it, he did it fully, completely, and with a new understanding of the Force and of himself. Yeah, it exhausted him, but I don't think I watched him die, I think I watched a moment of total clarity and a conscious, controlled and willful step up to the next chapter of existence.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I quite like that. Luke transcended when he became one with the Force. Which also looks quite curious when Jacen did the same but did not take the opportunity to ascend, instead choosing mortality, if you chose to connect the two moments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Darth-Krayt

Darth-Krayt Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 25, 2018
    Isn't Galactic Atlas an “in-universe” source?

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Yup.

I believe that the Front Line sourcebook is too.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    @Sinrebirth I've been thinking about doing a two-universe model - similar to what you're doing, but with both the EU and the new canon as separate alternate universes, and then use the new material as a source for 'extra' EU material. I should be posting something shortly.

SpecForce Trooper and PCCViking like this.
  6. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh cool. Hope it’s fun :)

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, We'll see if I actually can stick to it.... [face_laugh]

Sinrebirth and PCCViking like this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah Rey also says that when Luke is gone "It wasn't pain or sadness it was with peace and purpose". So, once again, Kylo is wrong, yay!

Kev-Mas_Colcha and Darth_Duck like this.
  9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    In issue #12 of Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith by MARVEL we see how, where and when Vader builds his own lightsaber hilt. According to my estimations, this issue takes place around one month after ROTS. In Legends, that's when we see Vader use his lightsaber for the first time too (Pruge: Last Stand of the Jedi if I'm not mistaken). Therefore, the timing of the lightsaber build in canon fits nicely with its chronological appearance in Legends, except for Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader. In Dark Lord, Vader is said to have built his lightsaber on the Death Star (or a Star Destroyer orbiting the Death Star - can't exactly remember), but in canon he built it on his private ship en-route to Coruscant. How can we explain this minor discrepancy? A possible solution of mine is that the one in Dark Lord is a second, spare lightsaber (who says that Vader has to own just one?). Also, in Dark Lord it is said that the Emperor gave Vader a synthetic crystal for his lightsaber, yet another contradiction with the canon version. Do you think that Vader having (at least) two lightsabers is a decent explanation for the purposes of the One Canon? What are your alternative suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  10. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Lightsabers are the literal bane of my existence.

I’m trying to track Anakin’s blue one at the moment.

Two such weapons would seem reasonable to me. I’ll check Dark Lord.

11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    If you're referring to the Bespin saber (the one where Luke lost along with his hand), then I would say: the Empire recovers it, C'baoth gives it to the clone Luuke, Luke gives it to Mara, Mara leaves it with Maz Kenata when she builds her own saber, and then the events of the ST. :D

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We know that Mara still has the blue saber in HoT even after building her purple saber for her adventure with Kyle Katarn. Her leaving it with Maz, would have to take place after HoT.

Jedi Knight Fett and PCCViking like this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Was it not picked up by a Ben in 100 ABY?

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Apparently Luke's son Ben retrieved it in Star Wars Tales after some darksiders got it, with Mara using both it and the purple one till her death:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Anakin_Skywalker's_second_lightsaber

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Darth-Krayt

Feb 25, 2018
    What does HoT stand for?

Enviado do meu iPad usando Tapatalk

16. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Hand of Thrawn

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh yes. I merged the conversation between Artoo and the Keeper in 104 ABY.

18. Darth-Krayt

Feb 25, 2018
    How do you know the Ben tales comic takes place in 100 ABY? I always assumed it was between the vong wars and Legacy of the Force and that the saber was a replica

19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    It doesn’t - I merged it inadvertently with another event.

20. Darth-Krayt

Feb 25, 2018
    But is the lightsaber a replica?

21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Ben Skywalker recovering it as a teen has to take place in the divergence - between TUF and LotF, where Disney and Legends have to split, due to Snoke and Lumiya and Ben and Jacen.

Even with a truncated timeline, LotF can only end at 32 ABY, which is presumably too close to TFA in 34 ABY. Everything from the Old Ones to TUF slots in just fine otherwise.

If it turns out that the NJO was destroyed no more than two years before TFA, I can happily slot in LotF before. But it feels as if Luke was missing for more than that (those less than six years, as Luke and Ben were still training together in Bloodline).

In Legends, Mara has Vader’s lightsaber until she dies.

22. Darth-Krayt

Feb 25, 2018
    As far as I can remember Kylo’s fall was 6 years before TFA, since he is a jedi during Bloodline and was with the FO on Phasma

All books after Dark Nest are post Last Jedi (if we are assuming none of the deaths count)

So the timeline goes:

25 ABY
    TUF (probably will have to be changed so it can be time to rebuild)

28 ABY
    Bloodline
    Third jedi purge by Kylo; Luke goes into exile

34 ABY
    TFA
    TLJ
    Dark Nest

40 ABY
    LOTF

23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Phasma is set one year before TFA... in 33 ABY. Which is the earliest we know of Kylo Ren I believe? (Correct me if I’m wrong).

If TUF is 25 ABY, DNT is 30 ABY, then LotF is 35 ABY.

However, LotF was originally intended to be in 37 ABY not 40 ABY - and some references in Betrayal note as much e.g. Nelani last seeing Jacen seven years before which is impossible in 33 ABY as Jacen was off wondering. So if 40 ABY became 35 ABY, 37 ABY becomes 32 ABY.

25 ABY - TUR

28 ABY - Bloodline; Resistance is formed.

30 ABY - Dark Nest

32 ABY - LotF

After 28 ABY but before 33 ABY - First Order enters public eye when some Centrists secede, the NJO is destroyed by Kylo and six other students.

33 ABY - Phasma overthrows Cardinal

34 ABY - TFA and TLJ

I personally doubt LotF will make it in - DNT might. Might.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  24. Darth-Krayt

Feb 25, 2018
    This is from the star wars timeline gold:

“The timeline in the front of the novel puts it between Bloodline (28 ABY) and The Force Awakens (34 ABY), which is a rather large, six-year window. However, on p. 278, we learn that Siv, Phasma, and Armitage Hux are all about the same age. Siv is given an age of 16 in a segment 12 years prior to the novel, making her 28 in the framing story. Pablo Hidalgo has reported via Twitter that Armitage is said to be 34 in the script to TFA, which would put his birth (and thus those of Siv and Phasma if they are indeed the same age) around the time of ANH. If that is the case, and Siv (and thus Phasma and Armitage) is 28 in Phasma’s framing story, then it must be set in 28 ABY. Given that it is after Bloodline in the novel’s opening timeline, that means it must be set after the Bloodline novel, yet in this same year. This also fits the idea that Cardinal is about 40 in the story and was a teenager when he left Jakku, along with the idea that Phasma is “a few years” older than Gosta, who is 14 in the segments 10 years before the novel, when Phasma would be 18 by this reasoning. All dates for flashback chapters in the novel are dated back specifically from 15, 12, 10, or 9 years before the framing story, allowing us to place those and virtually all other dates from the novel.”

25. Darth-Krayt

Feb 25, 2018
    LotF can still fit if the dates are changed and if we ignore the deaths