main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Yoda in Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by yassir.khan, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I liked him. One of the few moments of the movie I enjoyed. His words were very "Yoda"

2. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I loved this scene! It's the one scene in the ST that I felt serious OT nostalgia from :cool: (Luke and R2 was great also)

3. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    It’s some of that but in his older age he’s bonked others with his cane before to make points.

[​IMG]

;)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Wildcatbarry likes this.
  4. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I’m never going to complain about having Yoda in Star Wars. His scene was one of the few good parts of TLJ, and I like that he was OT, puppet-style Yoda.

Martoto77 and Avnar like this.
  5. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    “Son, you need to get back in the fight; everything on this island is sandy and damp”

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    "Son, I'd love to chat, but you're surrounded by sand, and you know how I feel about that.":p

(Just kidding around hardcore PT fans, no offense intended)

TheYodaPagoda and Deliveranze like this.
  7. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Did you see the “she’s covered in sand” meme? It’s the only one of those things that ever made me laugh

8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I have not.

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agreed. Luke started his journey with Obi-Wan and he was a mentor, but his true teacher was Yoda.

TCF-1138 and Satipo like this.
  10. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Which wasn't accomplished either.

11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    If you have nothing to add to conversation except drive-by trolling, then don't post.

12. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Odd thing about Yoda in this film is his dialog coincides with what Luke did in Empire and Jedi. What Yoda is saying in The Last Jedi was more fitting to be said by Luke, as its essentially what he does when he makes a choice to redeem Vader.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Rodie likes this.
  13. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    Sorry if this has already been discussed, but in watching Empire the other night this came up...was Yoda's prophecy in Empire shown to be correct in TLJ when he warns Luke "if you leave now, save them you could, but you would destroy all for which they fought and suffered? -- that is to say -- did Luke's intervention in Empire/RotJ put Han and Leia together, leading to Ben, who destroyed everything they fought for?

Just a thought.

14. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Good thought. But honestly I doubt that the story crew, JJ or RJ planned it.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    How did Luke's intervention bring Han and Leia together?

wobbits likes this.
  16. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    This is the problem with TLJ. They didn't give Rey a significant internal struggle or personal problem to really overcome in terms of how/when/why to face Kylo again. They gave Luke the problems, and thus had to have him repeat the lessons he already worked through in ESB and ROTJ (it's like Johnson thinks Yoda's conversation with Luke in ROTJ never too place!). It was like resetting things for his character only he's old and grumpy instead of young and impatient. But Luke should have been in the mentor role in TLJ, instead Luke's the one who learns something "new" while Rey remains static, and thus you have to bring in HIS mentor, who has no connection to Rey, and kind of stops the story of our protagonist cold, to help Luke. On the face of it, I like this Yoda scene, but in terms of how and why it is used in this film, it's indicative of much larger story and character problems with the script.

JJ never would have dreamed of portraying Luke this grumpy, "cut off from the force" and unhopeful in the Jedi, largely because it sidetracks the script and bogs things down way too much for our protagonist. Imagine Luke arriving on Dagoba only to find that Yoda wants the Jedi to end and treats Luke like a nuisance for an hour of the movie. Maybe he'd have had Luke initially reluctant to train Rey for a couple scenes until they connect, he gets to know and trust her. But having Luke like he is for 90% of TLj, It makes for a script that is really not tight and efficient, nor as entertaining and driving as it should have been.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Glitterstimm and Shadao like this.
  17. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Rey does have an internal struggle. She doesn't know her place in all this, nor has she come to terms with who her parents were. That's why she looked for help from Luke, that's why she eventually went to talk to Ben, because she needed someone who helped her through her struggle.
    And no, Rey most definately does not remain static. She has to learn about taking charge herself instead of hoping for someone else to take the lead. And she has to learn that blind optimism can lead you astray, as evidenced by her reckless decision to go and find Ben because she is sure he will turn, only to find out that he doesn't. Not to mention the beat-down delivered to her by Snoke.

TLJ didn't "reset" Luke's character, nor did he have to repeat what he worked through in ESB and ROTJ. The situations where completely different. Luke never blamed himself or the Jedi for what happened in the past during either of those movies, making the comparison fail right away. Even a wise Jedi-Master can end up in a situation where someone else can help him. Being a master doesn't mean that you are perfect and always do the right thing. Yoda came in to remind him of what he can be, and sometimes even a master needs to be reminded of what he might already know. Yoda doesn't need a connection to Rey, so I'm not sure why that is supposed to be of any importance, much less a sign of "story and character problems with the script". He fits right in at that spot. And Luke falling back into the role of Yoda's pupil isn't surprising either, because that happens automatically. Grown-ups who are parents themselves still return to the role of being the child when visiting their parents. That comes completely natural. The relationships between master and pupil isn't much different in that regard.

So are you a mind-reader now, or how do you know what JJ Abrams would have done?
    You don't like something, fine, but don't claim that you have any idea what anyone else involved thought or would have done, because you have no clue. You don't get to speak for JJ Abrams, especially when your opinion doesn't fit in any way to what Abrams has actually said about the script and the movie.

Martoto77 likes this.
  18. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    You could argue but for Luke abandoning his training to attempt to save Han, he dies in/never leaves Jabba's palace. Dead Han, no Ben.

19. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I agree, the scene did transport the audience back to the OT, if ever so briefly. I'm glad they used Yoda instead of Kenobi or Anakin, but I remain curious what an Anakin Force Ghost would be like with dialog. The only thing that felt out of place was the lightning - I have always imagined spirits disconnected from the corporeal world, unable to physically alter it. Characters like Talzin were somewhere between the physical and spirit realms, but these Jedi are all dead, or so we are led to believe. I loved the scene but it certainly made me question Force ghosts.

TK327 and wobbits like this.
  20. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I'd love to see an Anakin force ghost with great dialog and some random new awesome force power better than lighting a tree on fire. I want to see him school Kylo with something.
    Hayden could totally pull it off with the right lines and director.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    themoth and Skylo_92 like this.
  21. Skylo_92

Skylo_92 Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2018
    Loved the Yoda/Luke scene, especially the lesson about learning from failure. Very true to life. Also pulling for a Force ghost council intervention scene comprised of Luke, Anakin, Obi-Wan, & Yoda with Rey and/or Kylo in EPIX.

Kalmanta and Martoto77 like this.
  22. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    This is what I'm hoping happens in IX. Imagine if Anakin and Luke were involved. It would tie together both eras too.

Revanfan1, Skylo_92 and wobbits like this.
  23. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Looks like we have lots of fans of this scene her, so maybe I can get an answer to a question I have since the first time I watched this movie.

Why did Yoda lie to Luke about the jedi books ? Why did he pretend to destroy them by fire when he clearly knew that Rey had already took them ? The whole lightining thing happened because of this strange lie, and I really don't see anything that makes this necessary for the lesson Yoda wanted to give to Luke.
    I get it, sort of. He doesn't want Luke to get too attached to old symbols that don't matter so much anymore. But, the books do matter since Yoda considers it a good thing that Rey took them. She will obviously use them to become a jedi herself.
    Then, why not tell it to Luke right away ?
    Is there another reason than to troll Luke and to mess with the audience ? Because it's almost like Yoda is breaking the fourth wall here.

I guess when Luke became one with the Force, all the Force ghosts were waiting for him and yelled "Surprise ! Yoda didn't burn the books ! Fooled you !"
    The old guys have to laugh from time to time, you know. Eternity gets so dull after a while...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  24. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    I don't think he really lied as much as he was just trying to get Luke to look past old rituals, habits, and mistakes and focus on the now. That's really what the lesson was all about. Who cares about the tree, or the sacred Jedi texts, or any ancient Jedi rituals - focus on what is happening right now with Rey and the Resistance. Lost Ben Solo you did. Lose Rey, we must not. Don't let these old meaningless things, or mistakes from the past distract you from helping the greater good right now. Redeem the future by accepting and letting go of the past.

To be honest, I'm not even sure Yoda did know that Rey took the books from the tree. I mean, he could have, but it's not like the movie showed his FG poking around in there and he concluded that Rey must have took them. When he said that the library does not contain anything that the girl doesn't already have, I suspect he was talking more about her strong will, good nature, and ability with the force rather than directly talking about the books themselves. Could he also be talking about the books? Sure - but I doubt Yoda would be that material.

oncafar likes this.
  25. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Oh, come on. The "Rey has everything she needs" line was obviously tongue in the cheek. That was hardly subtle. Yoda definitely knew.

Strange way to impart wisdom anyway. Telling Luke about the books would have been a more honest lesson, and would have showed him a little more respect. I would have like to see them treat each-other as equals, like Yoda and Obi-wan treated each-other. But no. Luke just had to be considered by Yoda exactly like the foolish young man he was when he first landed in his swamp.

Did I mention I didn't like this scene one bit ?

11-4D likes this.