main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Underused canon characters

Discussion in 'Literature' started by lordpixie, Mar 3, 2018.

1. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    With the talk of EU characters being brought back into canon has the new canon underused some of the canon characters we already have like wedge, crix madine, ackbar some of the empire admiral's and other new characters like general draven ? i'm sure there's is some great tales to tell with what we already have.

2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I think Ackbar's been getting a lot of spotlight recently, and he's going to be a major part of the upcoming Star Wars #44. Wedge's New Republic flight academy stuff would be good. And we've got very little about Jango Fett, who might not actually be Mandalorian now, so that would be interesting to explore.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I would guess that, even if he's not from Mandalore itself, he's still from Concord Dawn, or at least claims to be.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jango_Fett

Jango Fett was born in the years prior to the Invasion of Naboo.[1] Heclaimed to have been born on the planet Concord Dawn,[2] a Mandalorian world,[7] but the exact authenticity of this claim was unknown. He wore Mandalorian armor after becoming a bounty hunterand assassin for hire,[1] a fact that led the officials of Mandalore to disavow any connection to Fett, claiming he was simply a bountyhunter who somehow stole an artifact from their planet's troubled past.[8]

Given that it is pretty blatant with the Death Watch, that those suits are not "artifacts from the planet's troubled past" - it seems likely that Jango got involved with the Death Watch in some way. Either as a member, or, to paraphrase Qui-Gon: "Perhaps he killed a (Death Watchman) and took it (the suit) from him".

kalzeth likes this.
  4. cookeycat

cookeycat Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2016
    The Pykes ofc. They are so cute. Their design is so awesome and I just adore their voices.
    Lom is my true love♡
    Commission art © namedyoro.deviantart.com
    Not for free use.
    [​IMG]

Hypatia, Jedi Princess and AV-6R7 like this.
  5. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Well "Mandalorian" refers more to the warrior culture/clans than the humans born on Mandalore, and quite a few of the actual Mandalorians we've seen have been born on Concord Dawn, Kalevala, and Krownest. And yeah, the line canon is going with currently is that the Fetts' claim is disputed. There is no Clan Fett in canon currently.

6. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I'm a sucker for crime and corruption stories, and the Pykes make a nice change of pace from the Hutts an Black Sun, so I second this.

The_Forgotten_Jedi and cookeycat like this.
  7. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I mentioned this in another thread but I'd like to see Chairman Papanoida again. Him joining the Rebellion would be nice to see.

I'd also like to see Rotta again to find out what happened to him since he seems to have been completely forgotten about.

8. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    yeah i would second rotta as is jabba's son and you would think would want revenge for his dad ? the clone wars has loads of good underused characters !

revan772 and Grievousdude like this.
  9. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Oh and another one I forgot about is Typho. I liked his story in Legends where he investigated into Padme's death which lead to an encounter with Vader himself (Coruscant Nights 2). I'd like to see a post ROTS story with him in Canon. Hopefully he won't be like Madine and be unlucky enough to die in both continuities.

10. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Madine's death is still unconfirmed. He's only rumoured to have died which, if I know Star Wars, means he'll be rocking back up any day now.

vncredleader and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, I took "rumor had it that General Madine had died in the attack" to mean that he was probably still alive. If they wanted him actually dead, they would've confirmed his death before the end of Empire's End, IMO.

vncredleader likes this.
  12. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I think Wendig mistook Madine for Dodonna, per Madine's odd description in Aftermath.

13. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Oh yeah, his "prodigious white beard". Well, he's not given any description in Life Debt, so presumably it's actually Crixy boy there.

14. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    Honestly I am surprised the lack of Luke in the novels. The only one with any real focus of him is Heir to the Jedi, which technically only slipped into cannon because of its post reboot release date. I guess he is a focal point of the comic series, but those are more like ‘in the meantime stories’ filling time between the films. Maybe now post-TLJ we might get a novel focusing on Luke’s happenings post ROTJ. Even in the content focused on the time between ROTJ and the ST Luke is absent except from a few mentions from Leia and Han.

Sorry, this Probably is not really what you asking in the OP haha. I have just found it surprising that we haven’t seen more of Star Wars most marketable character. I originally thought Disney would be sure to take advantage of Luke Early.

Other characters... wedge gets some coverage in the Aftermath trilogy. I would be intrigued if he were to get his own series/book though. Something with Mandalore like others have said.

I really liked the Maul comics, as well as Dark Disciple and Lords of Sith. I’d really love to see another story from a smith POV. The obvious cannon options being Bane or Plagueis. But I have a feeling Disney wants to get through ‘phase one’ so to speak and complete this ST before they start plotting events pre-TPM.

Kind of the mirror image of that, I wouldn’t mind seeing a Jedi story from a character like Plo Koon. I heard there were a lot of them prior to order 66, so they have a lot of options that could provide a non anakin & friends depiction of the Jedi order.

I guess this isn’t technically a character, but I would like to see a story on the Knights of Ren at some point. I was really intrigued when they were first introduced, but so far there absence is making think Snoke was just poking fun at Kylo for having imaginary friends or something.

kalzeth and lordpixie like this.
  15. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    Yeah i agree with Luke being underused it was also a pity that Heir to the Jedi in my opinion didn't do or say anything new about luke bit of a missed opportunity.

UnshavenWookie14 likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked Luke's inner snarker in that.

17. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    Hey man! He got really good at moving that noodle though! He was moving the heck out the noodles. Haha but the biggest Luke take away I got from Heir to the Jedi was his brief experience with the dark side. I know he didn’t ‘go dark’, but it was cool to have that experience of Luke’s depicted in this format.

Building of that... I think this is probably why I am hopeful for some additional Jedi/Sith/force user novels. Written word really gets into another level of the emotional/mental/feelings aspect of the individual in a way the movies can’t. I don’t mean the movies epically failed us in that regard, just that different mediums have different strengths. And that I’m surprised we haven’t seen the new canon use more written word to provide insight in that regard

Senpezeco, lordpixie and Iron_lord like this.
  18. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I definitely think this is the case. Especially considering 1) "The Legends of Luke Skywalker" was part of "Journey to the Last Jedi" and 2)
    Old Luke apparently makes a flashforward cameo at the end of one of the new Darth Vader comics

It seems like they were trying to keep an aura of mystery open around Luke, but now that TLJ has been released (and especially when the ST is completed) they'll probably feel more free to elaborate on events between the OT and ST.

19. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    I did too. I think Kevin Hearne actually captured Luke’s persona/presence really well. I’ve seen a decent amount of positive feed back for Heir to the Jedi in terms of how Luke was written. I can;t speak for everyone obviously, but the sour taste after the novel is due to...

...the ending. It is in large part a story built on character relationships. The story and it’s events weren’t ones that necessarily had far reaching impacts (as opposed to say something like the aftermath trilogy). So the Luke/Nakari relationship was going to be the big development/takeaway for most people, only to have it erased. It also didn’t help that Star Wars has historically been lacking in terms of character diversity. So killing off a woman of color and self-containing Nakari’s character to the single novel made it more sour. She was a really well written character in the novel, and probably would have been just as well recieved by Star Wars comic fans had she survived into those storylines (similar to how they transitioned Snap Wexley from the Aftermath Trilogy to the Poe Cameron comics).

20. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    I enjoyed the novel just wished it contained some sort of ramifications to canon

kalzeth and UnshavenWookie14 like this.
  21. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Jai Kell disappeared partway through the Rebels finale; even then, he was barely acknowledged as existing after "The Occupation". Justice for Jai!

22. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    For my money there can never be enough Shriv. He was introduced pretty recently, but with only two appearances under his belt that counts as underused as far as I'm concerned. He's absolutely hilarious and has great banter with whoever he's teamed with, from Lando to Iden Versio to, most recently, Nien Nunb. The more Shriv we get in canon, the better!

23. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I don't know what you'd define as "ramifications to canon" exactly, but I've long argued that the Luke of Heir to the Jedi flows perfectly into the Luke of Skywalker Strikes, the first arc of the Marvel series. The two read very well back-to-back. (Yeah, I know Weapon of a Jedi takes happens in between. I'll try reading all three back-to-back sometime and see if it maintains that flow.)

Jedi Princess likes this.
  24. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I want more Kreel, but he seems to be done for in canon. There's no way he doesn't get force choked after SCAR's latest failure. It would have been cool connective tissue to have him survive into the ST era as a Knight of Ren. Storms of Crait did him a major disservice by having him lose his lightsaber. He was a compelling villain until he became a chew toy of the OT heroes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  25. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I want more Padme......

Gamiel and Ghost like this.