main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to TLJ: Canto Bight

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 20, 2017.

1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Look up the Wook article. They redesigned them for TLJ and were in a deleted scene of some sort.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I finished his story last night. All I gotta say is (story spoilers):
    Lexo Sooger > Boba Fett
    You want angsty narcissistic drama? Call Boba Fett. You want someone dead on short order? Call Lexo Sooger. Dude gets **** done and is a lot smarter about it. Also charges less.

3. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Kinda want to stat out Dor Namethians for one of the RPG systems now.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I refer you to my earlier post on the matter.

(It’s still a good pin)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [​IMG]

TheRedBlade likes this.
  6. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Interesting. I've seen it several times and have still missed a ton of the characters from the book. I'm assuming that the three you are referring to are Kedpin, Sooger, and the big boss guy since they were in the spa cut scene? Did the alien twins from outside the galaxy make it in? How about the wine seller or the assassin from Kedpin's story? I just saw today that the woman on the ship in the establishing shot was the club owner - I had pictured her quite differently in my head. (I was also bummed that there were classic aliens in the book and none in the film but I suppose that was to be expected after TFA.)

Somehow I missed out on that pin. What a cool promo! I even had the book preordered (though from a local bookstore, so I'm not sure if that would have worked anyway). In the future, if you do more of these promotions, where would be a good place to watch for information on them?

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    She is in a bunch of different shots just chilling in the background. She must run around fast. You see her inside and also on the balcony when they first look at the track.

Keep an eye out when the fathiers are running through the streets near the end of the city portion of the chase sequence.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    my kind of scum likes this.
  8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    There’s photos of all the characters from the book on Wookieepedia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my kind of scum likes this.
  9. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    The pin was frequently promoted on all the Del Rey Star Wars social media platforms (facebook, twitter, instagram) and as part of several of our Star Wars newsletter blasts in the month and weeks before the book release. Those are always your best resources for finding out about exclusive items, giveaways, pre-order rewards, etc. People are generally good about cross-posting those things to forums like this one, but I wouldn't rely on that.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anything come of this? Very curious to know.

11. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    Am currently listening to the audiobook, and really enjoying this. I love the decision with this and FACPOV to go with different narrators for the different stories too, much as I always enjoy the dulcet tones of Mark Thompson (and, more recently, January LaVoy)

The Extreme Moderate likes this.
  12. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Did either of you read the book? The Grammus sisters claim to be from another dimension, and the titular "Wine in Dreams" is supposed to be a wine from that dimension. When sommelier Derla Pidys tastes the wine she thinks it's full of familiar tastes and there's no way it could be from another dimension, and that this is just something the Grammus sisters claim about themselves to make them seem more exotic and interesting.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    On the other hand, I feel there was an implied possibility that the reason the wine brings up such familiar tastes is because of its otherworldly origins - it's what each drinker wants it to be or some such. Derla's a somewhat cynical type; I think the story intentionally left things ambiguous.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    The_Forgotten_Jedi and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    BINGO. It's a story about stories, and what people are willing/want to believe. The truth is irrelevant.

(Personal thought - not canon/not official/don't update the Wook pages with this nonsense - the sisters are not extra dimensional, but come from a planet so remote and rarely visited that it is functionally indistinct from being another dimension.)

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep. They're running a con while being the Customers From Hell that are also Very, Very Rich so get fawned over by every hotel in Canto Bight.

16. Darth Voorhees

Darth Voorhees Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2017
    Really Dull and disappointing.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I had been thinking another possible clue was with the clerk. Hrm. Will put it in spoilers for those who didn't read it yet.
    When Rhombus took the clerk with them and Parallel was like "really? A person now?", Rhomus's response was basically they needed to up the ante to make people think they were extragalactic weirdos.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  18. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    Just finished the second story. Really enjoyed both so far, but very different, which is great. I liked Kedpin's innocence (complete with his DARK SECRET!!) and I was really rooting for the little guy by the end. The second one's plot felt a little weaker, but the characters were fun and it seemed like nice mood-setting.

I'm also liking how each shows us a different part of the city that features in the movie only briefly; the police in story 1, the nightlife in 2, and apparently the sadly-cut-bathhouse in 3 (Only a chapter in!)

Jedi Ben and Daneira like this.
  19. canadianwookie

canadianwookie Jedi Knight

Jan 15, 2015
    I get that this book kinda of feels like just like a marketing tool for the film but having just finished reading it I really recommend it. Added a lot of depth to the only part in the film I wasn't a huge fan of, and I can't wait to go back and watch it again with this in mind.

Adds some context to Rose's lines about it being a terrible place while still exploring it through the eyes of some really fun characters and ones we haven't really seen yet in the Star Wars galaxy. Seriously - go read it!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    Started this today. Only a chapter in. What did everyone think of this book? Only asking bc I don’t want to stumble on any spoilers reading earlier posts in this thread. Anyone have some general impressions and/or strong opinions on this entry? I’m a bit of a completionist (this is the last new canon book I have before I’m caught up) so no matter what I’m still going to read it. Just interested to hear what you guys thought. To be honest I kinda put this off until last bc I was apprehensive. My experiences with short story collections has been kind of up and down. I do Like John Jackson Miller. Not familiar with the other three, but not holding that against them haha. Any thoughts for me?

21. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    It was a lot better than I expected it to be. I really enjoyed Kedpin and Lexo's stories. The John Jackson Miller story was also a fun read. The Wine story went over my head a bit but I liked the concept of the Sisters that may or may not be conning their customers.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Without giving anything away, the key Q for you is how much do you like the idea of an expanded universe where stuff happens unconnected, save perhaps by the most tenuous link, to the big picture or main story? If you like the idea, you'll probably enjoy this. If not, probably not enjoy this.

I really liked all four stories, they each gave a different picture of life in a corrupt yet glamorous hellhole.

23. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    Yeah I Just finished the Kedpin still Ryan and did like that one. It was pretty funny. Although I kind of expected a different ending. I’m four chapters into the wine story and had to set it down for a break because I didn’t feel as engaged.

I’m about halfway through and can see what you meant. The story is in the city of canto Bight and not necessarily the characters. I will say that I expected the Kedpin story to end differently. I thought Anglang would have been running the long con and had fixed the race, had Kedpin bet so he wasn’t suspected, and then cut pursed the winnings at the end.

Idk, I thought that would have been a better representation than going with the buddy-buddy happy ending. Also felt like it would have been quality foreshadowing for DJ’s antics in TLJ.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Funny you should mention that. In early conversations about this story, we (meaning myself and author Saladin Ahmed) discussed potentially having Anlang be involved in some race fixing (which - no spoilers - would connect to something in another story). But, as we got down the road a bit, we decided to not pursue it. It didn't work as part of the story that was taking shape. Denoting time to exploring it would have derailed the story between him/Kedpin.

Though, I'll note that as written, there's nothing in that story that says Anglang didn't either a) fix the race or b) know it was being fixed. So, if you still want to draw that conclusion, you could. My read on Anglang was that he'd always have a few gambits in play, to both maintain his status/power, but also to keep some income going.

25. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    Ahh really? I swear I thought that’s wear you guys were taking that story. And when Kedpin leaves at the end ‘he collided with a Palandag...’ I was thinking “oh, Yep! That must be Anglangs partner with the bump and swipe!” Haha

Given... I had just finished rebel rising when I read this. So maybe Beth Revis and Jyn just had me being overly cautious with street scammers.