main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Last Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 21, 2017.

1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Using that phrase or being on them in the first place (and the reason I was there was that it was originally more general but kinda became concentrated on one aspect at the expense of everything else)?

2. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    Why does this novelization have “Expanded Edition’ printed at the top? To be honest I haven’t been following details for this release (although I do plan to read it). I know the novelizations provide insights the films can’t, as well as providing addition snippets that were either cut from the film or added after. But TFA and RO didn’t have ‘Expanded Edition’ printed at the top of the front cover. Is TLJ supposedly providing a significant amount of additional content/insight compared to the amount in the first two canon novelizations? Or is it just part of the design concept and I’m reading into it to much? Haha

Now that I’ve asked what I came here to ask... I noticed the fan divide cause by TLJ being discussed. I agree with the fact that twitter has contributed to this divisiveness. I’d add that twitter has basically replaced debating with what essentially amounts to polls. You can’t really have conversations with well developed/thought out viewpoints due to the word count and the votility of the twitter sphere. If you take to long proofreading your tweet for a divisive issue it misses its mark entirely because the conversation (and I use that word generously in most cases for twitter) has completely redeveloped and evolved into something else entirely. Twitter doesn’t allow for rhetoric.

The result is what I referred to early when I said debates have become polls now. Its a system operating like, here’s the issue, cast your vote by picking your side, attack the other sides viewpoint despite relevance to original topic and impact on the integrity of the debate, whoever gets the most votes via comments is right on this topic. So the system winner is determined by which side took the least damage.

I absolutely believe AdmiralNick is correct in starting ‘we can do better’. I also agree with Jedi Ben that better isn’t here yet. The key to bridging that gap (in my opinion of course) is that we have to relearn how to agree to disagree and that’s ok. And a step further from that we need to remember that coming away from a discussion with some new thoughts or opinions on a topic is not the same thing as losing an argument.

In terms of this Novelization, I’ll admit I had my issues with TLJ, but I still thought the story itself was good. Most of my issues were a compilation of little things (like the comedy type and amount used). I plan to read the novelization with an open mind and hopeful to find further insight. Book and Film may be telling the same stiory, but different mediums paint with different colors. If you didn’t like the film and read the book focused on that, you are very likely to not enjoy the read.

Note: I don’t mean this post to imply that I consider myself a perfect conversationalist or a superior debater to everyone on twitter. Far from it in fact. It’s just my humble opinion on tthe twitter verse and how it has diminished our ability to exchange ideas.

3. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    "Is TLJ supposedly providing a significant amount of additional content/insight compared to the amount in the first two canon novelizations?"

Yes. That's the reason for "expanded edition" on the top.

4. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    Much appreciated DarthInternous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Woke up to my shipping notification from Amazon! So stoked for this novel, I haven't been this excited for a Star Wars novel in ages. :D

Maybe they'll deliver it early to me? [face_praying]

--Adm. Nick

6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Early? The book releases March 6th (tomorrow), so since it has shipped today, you might get it on time?!

7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Once in a blue moon (I don't want to jinx it, lol) stuff magically arrives to me the same day. Maybe the Amazon fairies like me? :p

--Adm. Nick

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Is that what they're calling their drone deliveries? Fairy service?

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Americans, just have to be first - it hits here 8 March.

Turns out I've requested the Friday off - had a day of leave to use before the end of the month.

Vialco likes this.
  10. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    TLJ is like AOTC. The novel will end up being better and more complete than the movie.

11. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Interesting idea. I found the AoTC novelization to be so-so. The best one, IMHO, in terms of delving deeper into the movie and in general craftsmanship as a novel, was the Rogue One by Alexander Freed.

cwustudent likes this.
  12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Well, AOTC had most of the deleted scenes in the novel, plus a few extras. So far, from the looks of this, TLJ novelization is going to be like the prequel ones, with the extra scenes and dialogue.

13. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

I did like the prequel novelizations better than the original trilogy ones in part because of that.

cwustudent likes this.
  14. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I'm a bit confused now. Not about liking the PT ones more but about the extended content. The OT Novelizations also had additional scenes in them.

Daneira likes this.
  15. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    Started the audiobook. The inestimable Marc Thompson is absolutely nailing it. More importantly, so is Jason Fry.

That prologue... =D=

16. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Okay, so someone on Wookieepedia to do one thing from this novel so far really:

The first name of
    Senator Arbo of Kuat from Bloodline

But offered little else as to the reason for this mention. How frustrating!!

17. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Can't you... can't you just wait a little?

Jedi Ben and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  18. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Blame Wookieepedia. They put something up and it frustrates me!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    WITH SPOILERS

20. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    I've only read the Prologue and Chapter 1 so far, but I can already tell this novel is going to be a treat. @jasonfry is SUCH a good writer.

21. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    So... anything on the New Republic? Or if Snoke had any rank in the Empire?

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Pre-ordered it on Amazon UK today since it isn't out til Thursday. Probably won't get it til next week.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Do we get any cool details on Snoke's origin?

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Oh yes to both. I touch on the first in the Endor to Jakku thread.

--Adm. Nick

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    =D=
    "Control. You must learn control".

Darth Dnej likes this.