main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels- missed opportunities

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Swashbucklingjedi, Mar 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Now that Rebels is over I cannot help but to think that they could've done something more with this show. I didn't see a thread like this here, so I created it. Here you can post what you think were missed opportunities in this show, what Ghost-crew could've done and which places, characters etc. could've made appearance but they didn't, or what sort of plots could've there been in this show that were not. I have a few things I would've liked to see in Rebels here are two examples:

1) Naboo, since this is so central place in prequels and in the Clone Wars, I would've loved to see Rebels going there and I would've really liked to see Panaka as imperial moff, maybe Pooja Naberrié as senator and old Jar Jar would perfectly fit there as well. I know many hate Jar Jar, but he would've suited to rebels perfectly and he was major character in TCW and friend of Bail Organa and also acquaintance to Ahsoka and Rex. This was a major missed opportunity to connect PT-era more closely to OT-era. Battlefront 2 did this as well.

2) Rex versus Cody. Since Rex, Wolffe and Gregor were back I thought Cody could've been too. He would've been perfect example of clone who stayed loyal to the empire and probably became trainer of stormtroopers since that was position offered to Rex as well. Rex meeting up with Cody as enemies instead of allies would've been interesting. This is still possible though in some different show or other story since Rex lives all the way to the battle of Endor. Rex should also be using alias Nik Sant at some point....

Tell more opportunities that Rebels missed in your opinion.

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Two words: Barriss Offee. I remember after the "Rise of the Old Masters" episode in Season 1, there was some discussion that Bariss might've played a role in Luminara's fate; that you could see Luminara giving an odd expression, almost as if the one who's leading her to the sarcophagus is familiar to her. Of course a reunion with Ahsoka would've been way overdue.

3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    the story of Ezra's green lightsaber
    what happened to the Inquisitorious after Season 2

4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I can agree with this....Barriss should have been the Seventh Sister. That would have made the fight with Ahsoka so much more meaningful...and of course with them throwing some verbal jabs at each other.

And I will say it again...Maul should have taken an apprentice....Yes I will take every opportunity to say it. Maul would have had a vision of the death of Sheev and Vader at Endor and sees this as his opportunity to gain power. After Malachor he takes a wounded Seventh Sister and offers her more power that the Emperor or Vader would allow. Trains her in the Sith teachings he knows and starts her down the path. This way the Sith will survive. And with the above that would mean Barriss is the new Sith Lord.

Again...killing off a great story device for future writers....former Inquisitors out there...maybe forming the Knights of Ren, or going off and setting up their own fiefdoms.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I honestly think Ahsoka was misused in Season 2 (besides the finale).

She didn't really alter the dynamic for the characters, we didn't get much of her being that interesting, and it felt odd that we've never really seen her growth from the end of TCW to her Rebels personality.

That said, tying her into investigating Vader, and the finale on Malachor were excellent for her, and I'm glad that she's probably going to be a major player in whatever comes next on tv.

Vinylshadow and Hypatia like this.
  6. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i would've wished we would've seen Twilight Company cause what the heck was the Alliance doing while Lothal was being liberated.

7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I think the Ghost crew needed to exist on their own and have their own story and not feel tied to other characters or locations from the OT. When we got the story of Luke, Leia, and Han in Star Wars, no one said, I wish we got to see them go to Coruscant (yes, I knowbecause it doesn't exist yet), but I hope you get my point.

I appreciated when they incorporated characters from the classic trilogy, to add to the story, and at the same time it didn't define who the characters were or what their goals were.

The biggest fault of the series was Dave Filoni trying to tie up stories that he did NOT get to finish in The Clone Wars. We didn't need Hondo or Maul or Ahsoka. Did I enjoy those stories? Of course I did, especially Maul and Ahsoka, but when we get an episode where a bunch of battle droids don't know that the war is over to give closure -- that wasn't for the audience, it was for Dave himself. I totally get his wanting to do that and the decisions he made because he didn't get to give The Clone Wars a proper goodbye, but Rebels wasn't the place to do it all the time. Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't.

SienneRe likes this.
  8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Maul with Barriss as his apprentice. Now THAT would've been epic. The only issue would be how the ending of Twin Suns would've played out. I guess if you're going to say that Ahsoka kills Barriss at some point, then Maul could've met with OB1 with no distractions.

9. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    No..Barris would have been left behind and Maul still would have died....Barris...knowing of Maul's vision of the death of Sheev and Vader would have bided her time and build a power base, eventually taken her own apprentice, and the Sith would continue. Barriss was already well trained in the Force...as an Inquisitor she would have been trained to tap into the Dark Side and Maul would have refined that with Sith teachings. Down the line Ahsoka could have killed her...maybe betrayed to her by her own apprentice to get her out of the way.

10. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I agree on inquisitorius, such a great idea but during season 2 they became stupid cartoon villains (that saber-copter:oops:- looks like something from 60s Batman) Grand inquisitor died too early and didn't do much. Barriss I don't know- she turned pretty dark in TCW but I think she might have been executed for her crime. Sure inquisitor Barriss could've worked well- duel on Takobo would have been more personal with Ahsoka. I actually think Maul was used pretty well. He was nice choice as some sort of alternative master for Ezra and his death on Tatooine was well executed with Ben using Qui-Gon stance to fool him and at the same time they had wonderful Kurosawa-connection.

Fallen Jedi Master likes this.
  11. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I think one of the biggest flaws with Rebels was a constant one-upmanship when it came to the villains. First we had Kallus, who was usurped by the Inquisitor, who was usurped by Tarkin, who was usurped by Vader, who was usurped by Maul, who was usurped by Thrawn, who was usurped by Palpatine.

Now to be fair, Thrawn stuck around for a while, but most of the others generally showed up for 2 or 3 episodes, being bigged up, before disappearing. Vader and Tarkin just sort of disappear from the later seasons, when they should be arguably driving the whole thing. It just felt a bit off how Rebels couldn't stick to a big bad for long.

Theo333 likes this.
  12. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I think they didn't want to humiliate big bad guys like Tarkin and Vader especially. They know how many fans felt Grievous was humiliated in TCW and in Rebels they wanted to do even more kid-friendly show in which bad guys cannot be really dominating without show getting too dark. When Vader appeared he really made the show darker and same with Maul who killed inquisitors, seduced Ezra to dark side and blinded Kanan- Thrawn destroyed their base and almost destroyed them only saved by Bendu After all these happenings they wanted back to light-hearted nd child-friendly zone. Vader would have killed them all or he would have been easily reduced to loser villain. Tarkin was needed elsewhere for Death Star project. Thrawn needed to leave as well not to be humiliated, Pryce was the loser villain. Palpatine was never there in flesh for the same reason- they didn't want to tone him down.

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I haven't read the novel, but has Tarkin ever actually gotten his hands dirty through any SW medium? We see him shooting blasters during the Citadel arc of TCW; but beyond that he's mostly ordering someone else to do his bidding.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  14. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The Inquisitors.

I refuse to buy comics, to learn of their backstory. Pablo promised more detail in Rebels and the possibility of Vader's castle. YOU LIED TO ME PABLO!

Barriss Offee.

See reasons above by other members.

Darth Plagueis.

As former TFN President of "Darth Plagueis is Snoke" Foundation, I demand for him to be a super-duper evil character lurking in the outer regions, plotting the downfall of the Empire and assuming Sidious's dark throne.

15. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah I thought we might see something like this at some point in the series, but it being Cody would be especially good. Hopefully this is something we do get see eventually, even in another medium.

Oh I like that idea, that would have been cool. I'm honestly surprised she never made an appearance in any capacity.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  16. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    No way... I prefer that he is dead- the very point of his character is to be dead- otherwise tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise wouldn't be tragedy at all- why people wanted to see him in Snoke is beyond me- I hate this idea honestly- if something more evil than Palpatine is lurking in the unknown regions I honestly prefer even Yuuzhan Vong to Plagueis. Plagueis is just part of Palpatine's backstory- he is the guy who trained him and Palpy then killed- Plagueis being alive defeats the very purpose he was originally created for.

Vinylshadow likes this.
  17. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    .....I was joking.

Vinylshadow likes this.
  18. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Without the introduction of Barriss, the episode with Luminara wasn't exactly fulfilling. I still hope we get a backstory on why she surrendered, and whether it had anything to do with her former apprentice. With so many CW characters that made the transition to Rebels, ignoring Barriss was a mistake.

19. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I was not referring only to you. Plagueis is Snoke was a popular theory really. Never understood that really. But the Last Jedi shot down all theories that Snoke is the big bad anyway.

20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    For me the show is a could've been. It could've been great but it wasn't (though there were the odd hint of greatness sprinkled here and there throughout all the seasons) but they ultimately chose the path and type of show they wanted it to be. Long term it will be remembered for the points that were minor to the show as a whole i.e like the Vader/Ahsoka scenes in S2 and not at all for the main characters.

21. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I honestly don't think so- for younger generation they may be the favorite heroes like Ahsoka and Rex turned out to be for generation who grew up with TCW (and now they are adults as well- how weird, I feel so old being PT-generation), I really don't think everyone will forget them even though most of us older viewers may see Rebels as some sort of minor SW spin-off for kids and forget it.

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Yes but Rex and Ahsoka were part of the main story and could be affiliated with it. Ezra and Co don’t have that so there’s no long term longevity there

23. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Should've seen Kix with his pirates xD

24. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Rex and Ahsoka are no way important to movie story unless you've seen TCW- besides Ezra and co. will return eventually.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    In no way do any of these characters effect the movies.