main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Community is being overrun by spam.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Luigi, Feb 6, 2016.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I see a difference between anti-bullying measures and anti-annoyance measures, but okay.

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i mean what are the tags for even? they anticipated people wanting to only see a certain kind of thread, it kind of follows that some people wouldn't want to see a certain kind of thread. but yeah, thanks for what you do dave. i realize your hands are tied.

3. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I always considered the tags a way to help with and ease navigation. That’s how I use them, at least.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The least you can do is make one sock called Superhero Thread Guy and let us ignore it. Just one. It may not seem that bad now, but wait until television season comes back around and Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Agents of SHIELD, Luke Cage, Legion, Iron Fist, The Gifted, The Punisher, Runaways, and Cloak & Dagger are all being bumped, plus whatever movies are hot at the time, which could still include Infinity War and Ant-Man and Wasp, plus maybe Captain Marvel, and maybe people will still be talking about Black Panther. And there's MCU. Plus X-Men movies. And Deadpool. And Spider-Man. And maybe FF. Then with DC you have Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Black Lightning, etc plus the Aquaman movie, and Justice League. And Wonder Woman. And DCEU. I cataloged all this crap just to show you how annoying it could be. That's literally like 27 threads.

For me the problem is every time a spam thread gets bumped a better thread is pushed down.

But I just realized/remembered I could ignore some of those threads by ignoring the user who made it, and that some of those threads were created by people who haven't been here in years. So they're gone now for me.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    tom likes this.
  5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Yes I realize the reasons are different. I just meant more from a technical standpoint.

The issue I have with tags right now is that you can only filter on one at a time and it never saves what you've filtered on the moment you click on a thread or leave the page.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't really know what that means. do you mean you navigate through each tag individually or that the tags help you skim through the page because you are certain which ones you have no interest in? that's never worked for me, but might if we add this new tag.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    The superhero threads could easily get consolidated into three or four, as there is never more than one movie on the big screen at the same time. I’d fully support that move.

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    They can be helpful for finding certain threads. If I ever want to pull up my Pineapple On Pizza thread I can just click on the Census tag and it'll be right there on the first page.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    okay yeah, that i actually have done as well.

Juliet316 and Boba Nekhbet like this.
  10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Looking at page one of JCC I'm seeing a wide variety of different threads?

@DANNASUK 's The "Delayed We LOVE 80's Pop Music Thread" looks a bit dodgy ;) But other than that I'm struggling to see what the problem is?

Sarge likes this.
  11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    How rude.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm in favor of this.

Free Association Thread serves absolutely no purpose, and should be vaporized. Or sent to SWC (no hard feelings, Bardan).

Threads for posting a funny gif or telling us what you ate are regular for message boards, and sometimes inspire a thin level of banter - but the standard for actually posting a funny gif (not a million wrestling ones) in the "funny gif thread" or giving us a few precious details about what you ate (not just saying "hot dog and water") falls collectively on the group. Quality, not ****posting - save that for the social threads and SWC (sorry again, Bardan).

Instead, we seem to have an increasing number of users vying to be the next Bib - I am in favor of, and will support any moves that curb that trend. Appreciate @tom bringing this back to the front burner, and JTS for weighing in.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Between the different studios, I think there have actually been a few times when there was more than one in theaters at the same time. But yeah, a separate thread for each movie and each TV series in the superhero bucket is kind of overkill... they could probably be consolidated into Marvel, DC, etc. threads. Or maybe Marvel movies has one thread, Marvel TV has another, etc... to find a balance and not make things too lumped together for the people using those. And the Superhero Overload thread needs to stick around. :p

Otherwise, though, I see the point about "what was the last sound you heard?", "what thread are you posting in right now?" type threads. Regarding the tags, though, I feel like they work pretty well at filtering things.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  14. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Oh, nearly forgot. A message from OP:
    [​IMG]

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    tell her to post more otherwise i will assume she left because of spam like dani.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Oh I know why she barely posts and I might have already made a couple of references to it!

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  17. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Been noticing this conversation today. In my short time on these boards, I have found there is a value to discussing non-Star Wars topics with other Star Wars fans in a Star Wars community. Some of us may have been ostracized by friends and family due to our "Sad Devotion" to Star Wars. In JCF, we not only get to sound out about anything Star Wars with other fans, but we can also sound out about non-SW stuff and other SW fans will see it.

Where else can you do that???

For example, I have enjoyed the "Cuteness Overload" thread where we copy and paste overly cute images of animals. To some users, that becomes a form of "therapy" that allows them to cope with their busy day full of pressures.

There can't be any "right or wrong" in deciding which threads stay. What I consider right may be considered wrong by someone else, and vice-versa. Other users are voting on which threads stay by posting their responses. Threads with no responses will eventually die and get locked. The quality control mechanism is already built in.

It seems like the idea is for people to stretch creatively.....when someone starts cutting off threads that have repeat responses, creativity gets stifled.

Iron_lord, Sarge, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I put Ghost on ignore so that I didn't have to look at the US politics thread ever again.

19. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Scrolling past one thread can be exhausting.

20. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Exhausting? Isn't the "Watch Thread" function designed so you can see alerts right as you sign in?

Master_Rebado likes this.
  21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I was being sarcastic. :)

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    again, and only speaking for myself, i am not interested in "cutting off threads" or stifling anything. what i am interested in is a possible compromise where the jcc could be more enjoyable for everyone. could be that no such compromise is possible, but it doesn't hurt to brainstorm a bit.

EHT and Tython Awakening like this.
  23. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    None taken. The only issue we would have there with those sorts of threads is that being the Star Wars Community we strive to have our spam threads connected to Star Wars in some way. As such, our funny gif thread is incorporated into the Star Wars meme thread, our word association games must use words related to Star Wars whereas the last thing we put in our mouths is a common theme within the social thread. So we have the same spammy threads, we just have standards for them. :p

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I think the dummy sock is a good idea... that way, those can be easily ignored/removed. I'd much rather have 'Political Sock,' or whatever, on ignore than Ghost. You know?

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I hate doing line-by-line responses, but I wanted to communicate with you as clearly as possible, Tython - and I appreciate your feedback.

Numerous social threads, the rest of JCC, FanForce - we have many outlets for it.

I think that's great - I feel the same way about many threads. My issue is not with the Cuteness Overload thread (as long as the pictures are of "cuteness," and not wrestlers) - it is with a thread absent of any purpose or direction, is not considered any kind of game with a goal outcome, and one that cultivates one word = one post, which I do not favor in this kind of excess.

Staff lock threads that we deem "wrong" all of the time - the post volume has no bearing on those decisions.

No intent to stifle your creativity or negatively impact your experience here - unless said experience is solely based on this one thread, or you are motivated purely by your post count, with no thought whatsoever for quality or contributions of any substance to this community. Then I do have intent, I suppose.