main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Sanctuary - (Dissenters Unite! - Warning on page 232)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Yeah, not sure how one represses memories of parents being dead and buried specifically in Jakku after they sold her. Or how Rey even has those "memories". O how Rey would know the specific reason why her parents sold her when she was just 5.

Btw, I do buy that it was RJ’s intention to make something convoluted like that – Kylo just happened to pull out some very specific details from Rey’s memory log that somehow Rey had forgotten and needed to be told by man - but it’s just lazy writing to me (and diminishes her character, frankly).

Rian could’ve at least made an effort and write some Memento-style explanation for Rey’s loss of memory.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  2. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    The poor novelization authors have to try to make sense of the nonsense that is the Rian Johnson story: hence, the birth of schizophrenic Rey.

How anyone could read this script and think that it all makes sense is baffling. Even John Williams thinks this aspect is stupid, he just said in the nicest way possible.

kalzeth, DarthTalonx, JamieH and 4 others like this.
  3. milena

milena Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2018
    Sometimes traumas and high level of stress blocks out painful memories but they're never really gone, and can surface later. That's just my thought on it.

4. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    But how? Did someone tell her where they were buried?

kalzeth likes this.
  5. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    The mental gymnastics needed to even begin to try to make sense of RJ's story....

[​IMG]

Darth Hater, 11-4D, kalzeth and 8 others like this.
  6. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    Kylo saw her past in the vision. He tells her that in the turbolift.

milena and oncafar like this.
  7. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I've met people before who have had repressed memories and whose family members have.

There was actually one event in my own history in which I repressed a memory because I could never recall it accurately even hours after it happened. I tried to piece it back together over and over but I could never get it back again. I don't really know if it was repressed or not recorded in the first place I suppose though. I may have been in shock. I still can't remember it.

8. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    Her past or her memories?

9. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    Her past. Like she saw his future.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  10. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    They explained why Kylo is shirtless? I feel bad for these authors

Darth Smurf likes this.
  11. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Per novelization it's that Kylo saw her past when they touched hands, but in general he has had access to her memories through the Force bond that started in TFA, and he has even more access through the mind bridge. In the novelization he knows that things are not going well with Rey and Luke because he can see it in her mind.

I think he probably saw her abandonment in TFA though.

milena likes this.
  12. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Kylo Ren says near the beginning of the movie to Rey: "Your parents threw you away like garbage."

Which he repeats in another way later on after the hand touching scene.

Did he at the beginning...dun dun dun...read the script?

13. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    That's not the point. Rey can't have any memories of her parents from the moment they left her, because she didn't see them again after that.
    Okay, but again, her past is separated from the the life of her parents once they leave her. She is in one place and they in another. Kylo can't see them by looking at Rey's past from Unkar onward.

kalzeth, Darth Smurf, wobbits and 2 others like this.
  14. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Kylo said he saw her parents in the elevator. That was after the Force vision. Kylo saw things from her past in the vision. Rey saw things from his future. Some of what Kylo knows is from her memories. Some is from the vision.

I don't know that *Rey* knew her parents were buried on Jakku.

milena likes this.
  15. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Rian said Lucasfilm never told him who Rey's parents needed to be. So is Rian and Lucasfilm's fault (especially KK)

Darth Hater and ChildOfWinds like this.
  16. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    Not sure that visions work this way. Theoretically he can see everything that happened with her parents.

milena likes this.
  17. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    Though, as @MagnarTheGreat reminded us, Kylo already knew, somehow, before the Force visions that happened when they touched fingers, that her parents "threw her like garbage". I think that line was actually said in the shirtless scene.

kalzeth likes this.
  18. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    That's what I've been trying to explain.

In TFA Kylo accesses Rey's memories. Then in TLJ their minds are bridged and I think Kylo was able to see even more of her memories. Then in the hut scene Kylo has a Force vision in which he sees Rey's past. It's that he has information both from her memories and from the Force, not only from her memories.

Kylo already knew Rey was abandoned, either from TFA or mind bridge, or both. I think the Force vision showed him things about Rey's past beyond what Rey remembered.

milena likes this.
  19. milena

milena Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2018
    It's both memories he got from her (anything before the hand touch) and force VISION he had of her past (hand touch).

oncafar likes this.
  20. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Why Kylo saw her past while she saw his future? It's so convenient. "The audience want to know about Kylo's future and Rey's past so let's make a bluetooth connection between both of them and they will saw it"

21. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    Via mind-probe he briefly saw that she has no parents.

Via Force bond he saw her memories, feelings and thoughts.

Via Force vision he saw what actually happened in the past.

"Threw her like garbage" is what she suspects, the truth she can't accept, and what she fears. Pretty commom for orphans, also like "waiting" without any reason to wait for their parents.

milena likes this.
  22. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I agree that there should have been more of a blueprint each director had. Or better yet - one director for an entire trilogy that was already roadmapped for release every other year.

But that's not enough to excuse the pile of crap RJ served.

23. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    So in TFA when Kylo is trying to tick Rey off to pull needed info out of her he conveniently does not use the only bit of info that would tick anyone off?

I also wasn't convinced that the Force bridge alone could allow them to see each other's minds, as Kylo still didn't know where she was.

But hey, explanations. Leave it to fans here to make them up, since TLJ is not good at it.

24. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I think it makes sense in that Kylo for all his "let the past die" is stuck in the past. He thinks that Rey's past means she will join him. He's been very interested in knowing who Rey is and where/what she comes from (her past). Rey, although dealing with the past, is more concerned with the future. Her past is obscure to her.

--

As for the mind bridge, it is obviously a plot device. But so is the Force and so are Force visions.

milena likes this.
  25. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    [​IMG]

La Calavera likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.