main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Sanctuary - (Dissenters Unite! - Warning on page 232)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
  2. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
  3. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I'm not bothered that we don't know where Snoke came from and blah blah from the movie. It would have been nice to know the history of Snoke and the Skywalker family though, as that part is relevant to the story.

JoJoPenelli likes this.
  4. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    And Pablo said (also the TLJ novel confirmed) that Rey get some force skills from Kylo's mind. Everything looks too convenient, maybe both's mind are like

Kylo's mind > skills file > download? [X] YES [ ] NO
    > future.avi > download? [X] YES [ ] NO

Rey's mind > past.avi > download? [X] YES [ ] NO

5. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Doesn't really feel like the Force Awakens anymore honestly. The Force got emailed because of some reasons and that's that. In a way it makes it seem like the studio doesn't REALLY care about Rey that much either since they've put more emphasis on Kylo's story than anymore else. Everyone else gets thrown under the rug or treated like a plot convenience or surrogate. Daisy was right, "Rey is a cog in the machine."

kalzeth, ChildOfWinds and 2Cleva like this.
  6. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I have no problem with them reading each others thoughts like Vader did in RoTJ but I have to say adding Matrix-style downloading of abilities via force bonding to me is the worst addition to SW. Such a cop out on people actually training and developing into Jedi over time.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  7. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    But honestly, this might be the greatest spin I've ever seen. If it wasn't obvious that LFL are doing damage control, it definitely is now.

kalzeth, JamieH, DBPirate and 5 others like this.
  8. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Remember when the Force was a Buddhist-inspired mythology, about learning skills via physical and spiritual training, about growing through humiliating challenges and mastering patience?

Yeah, now kids just download skills and it's like, whatevs. You don't have pay for it if you torrent it.

9. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    Doesn't seems that he tried to antagonize her personally in TFA. He just needed the information.

He showed her his version of the confrontation with Luke just via the Force connection.

When he says "Say it" it's clear that they both already shared some information\knowledge which audience don't know.

SW was always mostly "show, don't tell". There are a lot of hints and symbolism and details in Rey\Kylo and Rey\Luke scenes to understand what is happening in the Force.

10. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    Because a dude who was just such a lame non-presence and ended up going out like a punk in TLJ will garner much interest in seeing a prequel of them? Even the idea is ludicrous. Because of TLJ, Snoke is now a joke and you can`t un-joke him with ancilliary material. Just as you can`t un-clown Hux.

I don`t remember the OT scenes about the force being pretentious and empty. They were vibrant and mystical, with a sense of wonder.

Rey and Luke basically had nothing despite sharing screentime a few times and Rey and Kylo had some weird teenage romance that I found eye-roll-worthy.

11. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    Totally believable. Abrams we know wants spinoff movie for the Knights of Ren too.

http://www.slashfilm.com/knights-of-ren-movie/

But I think this is the sort of put-all-the-extra-or-necessary-content-behind-a-paywall mentality whether it be the uncut novel like with TLJ or a bunch of extra movies so they can earn an extra buck. This is the sort of vision that has no regard for the fans and only worships quarterly profits and the almighty dollar. It's no wonder they have teamed up with EA. They are like two peas in a pod in their desire to milk the fans for all the money while having a clear contempt for them.

Edit: It also shows that Disney/JJ wants to turn SW into the MCU, but don't seem to know how to monetize it. Which again shows JJ lacks the necessary skills for franchise building. It's not enough to put mystery boxes everywhere ala the MCU such as the Infinity Stones. You still need to create good content, which the ST is sorely lacking.

12. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    The absolute last thing TLJ does is “show don’t tell.” That movie is almost nothing but telling. What is actually shown? Snoke is shown existing and being in power, that’s about it. They don’t show his history with the Skywalkers by implication or hint or subtext. We could go through practically every aspect of the plot, and we would be left with “tell, don’t show.”

People are talking about how Rey and Kylo had to download crap from each other’s minds. That wasn’t shown in the movie. When they touched fingers, we didn’t see a flash of what they saw. We were helpfully explained what they saw by Kylo and Rey expositioning us to death in an elevator. When it comes to Rey’s skills coming from Kylo, I don’t see this at all in either TFA or TLJ. You really have to fill in the blanks to reach that conclusion. I accept it because sources other than the movie say it. I’m supposed to get from TLJ that Rey downloaded lightsaber skills to bump her from where she was in TFA to the PG scene? When? Did she do a multiple file download when she touched Kylo’s finger? If Pablo says so, I guess.

13. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    So why didn’t he say “your parents threw you like garbage, like mine, hey we’re the same, talk to me” which is something so obviously clear Kylo would say if he knew?
    I tell you why: because this wasn't thought out before, and now people are trying to come up with explanations.

No... I think Star Wars has been always about show and tell and explain. Sometimes explain more than show.
    Except the ST I guess.

kalzeth, wobbits, 11-4D and 4 others like this.
  14. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Its comical. I expect Baghdad Bob or a SNL skit any moment.

I stand by my prediction the moment LFL announced the GOT guys on board for a trilogy - RJ won't do another Star Wars film ever.

kalzeth and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  15. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    But it`s not even business-savvy. By treating characters like this at the end, you kinda ensure there is not much of a market remaining for a possible backstory. For that, you need to make a character pop in a big way. I mean, I`m sure there will be a Snoke novel but it`s really too late to wring a viable movie out of the guy after TLJ. How do you get around the image of him comically lying on the floor in two halves with his tongue lolling out of his mouth?

Even with Luke Skywalker they run into this problem of the ending being such a disappointment that it is hard to care for possible additional material in between. At least Luke has the benefit of having a cool beginning in the OT. Snoke doesn`t have that. All we know from him is TFA and TLJ which killed off all intrigue. Even IF you revealed him to be Plagueis after the fact now, he will still look like a weak punk.

16. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015
    me @ lucasfilm as they try to fix this mess:

it makes me sad to think back to two years ago when after tfa all i could think about were the numerous possible story routes that the st could take. i'm thankful for black panther as that has filled the void that the last jedi left with compelling drama, strong world building, and an excellent soundtrack, and for avengers: infinity war which will hopefully be a satisfying payoff for fans.

and i agree that tlj "tells" more than it shows. some of the most crucial aspects of the story are left to dialogue or headcanon. like i want to see what rey does before she escapes with snoke's ship. how does she react to kylo lying unconscious? does she consider capturing him? that was a perfect opportunity to add more to her character, but nvm we don't need that.

FN-2187, kalzeth, 11-4D and 2 others like this.
  17. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    (The Snoke-Luke info in the adult novelization made me VERY excited for gap-year EU content!!)

18. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Ok someone on Twitter just posted a passage from of a scene from the expanded novel of Rey and Luke dancing together. It is adorable and I wish they'd had that instead of the stupid milk scene.

19. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I don’t see how TLJ sets the stage for any interesting prequels at all, in any form.

What’s interesting about Luke building a Jedi Order that we know ends in half of them turning against him and the rest being slaughtered?

Who cares about Hux’s rise to power when he’s such a pathetic joke?

Snoke was taken out like a loser because he couldn’t turn his head. Big whoop, he rose to the top of an organization that gives Hux a ton of power, oooohhhh impressive.

Han and Leia were crappy parents. Luke was a crappy uncle. This family all basically abandoned each other. Do I really want to see how that played out? Nope. The Lifetime network is a thing for anyone that wants those kinds of stories.

Meanwhile, the Resistance, however much passion went into building it, was massacred and lost. I really don’t care to see some young idealist join up to save the galaxy, knowing that young idealist is just going to be killed and his/her cause destroyed.

Post-TLJ history could be worthwhile for the main saga heroes, but I don’t see anything appealing between RotJ and TLJ to explore.

20. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I liked the milk scene with the exception of the "got milk" Luke expression which I hated. I liked the dance scene in the novelization as well and I wish that entire Rey/Luke scene had been in the movie.

Kylo wasn't trying to tick Rey off in TFA. In TFA he is trying to get the map. But he is curious about her and that information he keeps to himself. I think it would have been out of character for him to do what you are saying.

Lost_Hope likes this.
  21. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    This is not how "show, don't tell" works.

"Show, don't tell is a technique often employed in various kinds of texts to enable the reader to experience the story through action, words, thoughts, senses, and feelings rather than through the author's exposition, summarization, and description. The goal is not to drown the reader in heavy-handed adjectives, but rather to allow readers to interpret significant details in the text."

A lot of viewers noticed that Rey was using Ren's Force-skills and fight technique after TFA. They showed it when Ren said "I can show you the way to the Force" and what happened after this.

oncafar likes this.
  22. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

guess who is not spending a dime on that kind of garbage. Its like the ST is a starter pack and to get the story, you gotta spend spend spend spend.

In real talk, I don't believe this. I think this is more damage control in trying to explain away how terribly things were handled.

23. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I’m not sure what you think you’re educating me on. I know what show don’t tell is, thanks.

A lot of viewers thought Kylo strapping Rey to a table and torturing her was romantic. That doesn’t mean that I buy that was the intent of the scene or that was what most people got from it.

Nobody I know in normal world, off the internet, which highlights voices like ours that are obsessed and think way too much about this stuff, thought Rey downloaded skills from Kylo’s brain, especially in TLJ. There was no point where that was even arguably implied in TLJ. In TFA I can see an argument that it was implied in the mind trick scene when Rey escaped, although it is very very very ambiguous. Nothing explicitly implies it, but one could conclude it because it happens directly after she read his thoughts on Vader.

kalzeth, wobbits, 11-4D and 3 others like this.
  24. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    Didn't Rian heavily imply that Snoke wasn't interesting to him? Turns out, he was setting him up for a prequel this whole time. Hmm... [face_thinking]

25. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    You don't need to tell me something that you don't know yourself. We don't have proof for something like this so it's speculation from both sides.

There is no retcon between TFA and TLJ except Ren's scar.

Even "come back, sweetheart" and little Rey in the vision were last minute addition. Man's voice was in the script and it was deleted. Little Rey can be part of the background story that RJ expanded which can be more complicated than how it looks for now. Additions were made when JJ and Riddley already knew the answer and they said that there was no change. One episode can't answer all questions in the trilogy.

Also, I specified that Kylo knew that she has no parents via mind-probe. Not that he knew that they threw her like garbage or that they were bad parents.

@AhsokaSolo I'm not educating you. You described missed things that are not part of "show, don't tell" and then called actions and words between Rey and Kylo an exposition and dismissed parts in the movie which actually are "show, don't tell".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.