main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Community is being overrun by spam.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Luigi, Feb 6, 2016.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    And how would we do that? Would you be okay with, say, sending me your thread ideas so that they can be posted via PassiveAggressiveSock and ObscurePopCultureReferencesSock, JustAnInsideJokeSock and ThreadsPostedJustToMakeSomeTerriblePunInTheTitleSock? Because those are the kind of threads that annoy me--and the kind of threads that I'm positive are making people stop posting here because I've been told so. Or are we just catering to the sector that doesn't like politics or silly threads about drinking stuff?

I mean... I know what people complain about. Maybe the kind of content that is actually ruining the JCC to the ground is not what you think it is. Would you consider that possibility?

Violent Violet Menace, EHT and vin like this.
  2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yikes, dude... I was just agreeing with a suggestion made earlier. There's no need to jump down my throat.

3. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    We need to start with more enjoyable people. The JC lacks this these days. :(

Sarge likes this.
  4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    GTFO, Vin.

vin likes this.
  5. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    And I was telling you why it won't work. And even if we managed to agree on a way to split every single kind of possible thread into neat, closed categories that could be split into different socks that you could add to your block list, who would post with them? Would we have the mod team juggling ten, fifteen, twenty socks around?

Not reasonable.

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Can threads be consolidated into one big thread? For instance, a thread titled, "The last ________ I ________," and posters could fill in their own blanks... much better than separate threads for the last thing you put in your mouth, drank, ate, etc. What about that?

7. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    We could talk about consolidating threads or other ways of avoiding clutter, of course. Who knows, maybe the solution would be something as easy as making page 1 longer.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  8. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    As a Dani and not a Juliet, I've come to accept that the issue isn't the the existence of the threads, it's the lack of more interesting content. Which as other people rightfully pointed out last time we had this conversation is as much my fault as anyone else's. I could ~be the change~ or I can just open the JCC and close it again unless I have a notification in the corner. There are a few people who are doing what they can to post interesting, thoughtful, or funny contributions ( @Rogue1-and-a-half, a onetime target of my ire does put a lot of thought and care into his posts. @tom also wins poster of the year for a reason), but when it seems like the critical mass is more interested in superhero megathreads or what they drank today, there's only so much you can do to force a culture change.

One warning, though.

If Dave "**** DC" Schwarz wants to combine the superhero threads into one megathread, watch your backs.

9. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    times like this I wish we could like a post a number of times.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m realizing I never open the really spammy threads like Free Association or Cuteness Overload unless one of them shows up in the report box. Some of the threads that have been mentioned here have been ignored so well by me that I didn’t know they existed. (And I don’t have any of the users on ignore.)

I think one Marvel Universe thread and one DC Universe thread is a good solution. One of us could even edit the title to “Now discussing Black Panther” or “Now discussing Wonder Woman” when new films come out. Same with TV when a new season of Daredevil or Jessica Jones comes out.

I’m not a fan of closing the “What was the last movie you watched” thread or the “What was the last book you read” thread because people actually review movies and books in those threads, and I’ve learned a lot, I don’t consider those “spam.”

“What is the last thing you purchased” can tell other users about a person. For example, if the response is “a 12-pack of Coors,” I know their taste in beer is terrible. But I don’t know that there is a need for a separate thread for the last thing you ate, the last thing you drank, and the last thing you put in your mouth.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I was thinking MCU, DCEU and X-Men for the movies. Maybe Marvel TV and DC TV as well.

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

[face_worried]

13. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Go drink some Vanilla Coke and smoke some cherry cigaros, jackass!

tom and DarthTunick like this.
  14. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    I imagine it must have been for someone to create a thread in comms about it.

Okay well which is it? These are contradictory positions. People in this thread have already brought up that they engage less with the forum because of these things, and that they make the forums less fun. You're putting one group's enjoyment over another.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Question: one the issues mentioned earlier was megathreads? Wouldn't consolidating all superhero/franchise discussion into single threads also encourage the intimidation factor, then? How do we thread the needle?

Back in the day, we used to lock threads at 10,000 posts because the old board software would freak out if threads got any longer. We don't care about that so much these days. Is there interest in revisiting that, not for software issues, but to keep threads accessible?

Or alternatively, is there interest in regularly restarting threads at predictable intervals? The US politics thread tends to reset every election season (and more frequently in presidential years), would we do something like reset an MCU thread every calendar year?

What I'm getting at is: 1. what are the workable, rule-based solutions and 2. are these solutions to the identified problems?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I don't know, I think it works sometimes as a good thinking exercise to coming up with an association for a word a user posts before yours (which is why sometimes I end up having to edit because somebody posted before I thought of an association.)

Especially nowadays.

17. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I don’t know about resetting them yearly (although keeping threads short is always a good idea, as we discovered during the move) but if we consolidate the superhero movie threads I would lock the existing ones and create new threads. Better that than merging three or four massive leviathans.

18. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    You could create a thread for current movies and a thread for upcoming movies that would both reset at the release of a new movie.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    As someone who posts in many of the 'spam threads', I of course have no problem with them. With the specific movie threads, I tend to post when I've seen the movie, but follow many of them to read posts. I know it's more my nature, but I don't see the big deal. Do I want to see one Marvel or DC thread, no, but that's because those are the movies I like to go see.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I like Star Trek, but I've always been annoyed that there's more than one thread for that. :p

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Whereas I like that there are separate Trek threads. I haven't had a chance to watch Discovery at all yet, so if all the Trekkies were talking Discovery in the general Trek thread, I'd be spoiled. As it is, I can talk Trek in general and not worry about spoilers.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I was just going to say that spoilers in general are one of the biggest points against large, general threads for an entire franchise (especially when a franchise has a lot of movies or TV shows within it).

I'm not a fan of superhero movies or TV at all, but that's actually one of the biggest things that might work against an overall MCU thread, overall DC thread, etc. If there's too many different things in there, as well as spoilers, it could be a less-than-ideal experience for those who do want to discuss those topics.

V-2, Sarge and Violent Violet Menace like this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    As someone who posts a lot in these spammy threads like the Association one. I would say they are fine and to me it’s just fun. I do think it is a good idea to not allow anymore because for a lot of people they really don’t like those types of threads.

24. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    You know, I hadn't even thought about spoilers. I just don't into the tv/movie threads until I've seen them. Perhaps if we do wind up grouping all franchise's into single threads we can just go with permanent spoilers tags of all posts as a compromise?

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I think that would be a bit clunky. Perhaps extend the mandatory tag period for newly released content by a few days or a week, if it is a concern with these new threads?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.