main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Did Obi Wan burn down the Homestead on Tatooine, killing Luke's Aunt and Uncle?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthTalonx, Feb 20, 2018.

?

Did Obi Wan destroy the Homestead to get Luke to join him?

1. You may be onto something

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. From my point of view the Jedi are evil

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. More likely a rogue unit of the Empire

25 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Jabba's people did it

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Haha, those comments were not meant to be taken seriously, come on. Isn't that obvious? I don't think anyone is seriously considering old Ben killed Owen and Beru [face_laugh]
    We all know the Empire did it.

2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    A "rogue element" of the Empire, according to the poll results. o_O

DarthTalonx and BookExogorth like this.
  3. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    [face_laugh] but then again the poll doesn't exactly give us lots of choices

4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Did Obi Wan pay the Tuskens to kidnap and torture to death Anakin's mother in order to motivate him to be a better Jedi?

5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I suspect the initial post was based on an emo reboot of ANH. Otherwise, what you are suggesting is some dark dark material. Back in 1977, no one would have been ready for that type of storyline.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  6. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    “Hey, watch it with that lightsaber you crazy old wizard, you’re burning the curtains!”

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Oops, Apologies - My "Good lord" was directed at the TS but I can see how you thought it was for you as it came under your comment hahaha :D

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    On an also humourous tangent but, for the record, I totally believe that Anakin was mad at the Larrs. I mean, the dude just straight up stole their droid and flew off! That speaks volumes!

DarthTalonx likes this.
  9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I totally buy this. The Jedi are evil and Obi-Wan is the evillest of all, sitting in his evil old hut in that evil desert, stroking his evil beard and thinking evil thoughts.
    With this theory, all the pieces just fall into place!

10. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    Well the film does have Obi-Wan warning Luke against going to try to save them rather than trying to help him.

11. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    To be entirely fair, he was getting too old for that sort of thing. He could deal with a couple of drunk thugs in the Cantina and hold off a stiff old Sith Lord who was likely pretty nervous about fighting the Jedi who beat him last time they met, but a bunch of stormtroopers in their prime would probably be too much for him to handle in combat.
    Also, Luke didn't even wait to see if Obi-Wan wanted to go with him. He just ran straight to the landspeeder and took off.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  12. Praetor_Canis

Praetor_Canis Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2018
    Frankly, I don’t get the empire’s actions on Tatooine. You’re desperate enough to burn down a homestead and raid a Jawa truck for the two missing droids, but you don’t limit the take-off of ships from the local spaceport?

From my experience with this kind of gov, traffic would be the first to go under situations like these. They would have the entire planet under lock-down until something is found. The more I think about it, the more I find that the empire is very lacking in terms of actual control, the iron fist isn’t really THAT tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarthTalonx and Snafu55 like this.
  13. Praetor_Canis

Feb 9, 2018
    Dark, man. Dark, think positively

14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    @Praetor_Canis Please use the edit feature to add more content to an original post rather than posting consecutively.

15. Praetor_Canis

Feb 9, 2018
    Sorry, man. Still getting used to this app for forums. Won’t happen again.

16. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    "wait Luke! it's too dangerous! the timed thermal detonators in the bathroom I set have not gone off yet"

[face_thinking]

in all seriousness though, funny thread made all the more funny by the sly and suspicious expressions Guiness gives during the film :p

17. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    A foreign entity made this poll. Lol. Good times.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Sarge likes this.
  18. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    I'm not sure it is clearly shown on screen. I'm not sure we see Vader's forces or general Imperial forces (shown to be a meritocracy in ESB and to use Force only when necessary - e.g. in Mos Eisley as the police the streets) engage in mindless violence. We only see a few extreme people like Tarkin and his ridiculous plan with the Death Star who mess things around.

Other than a Robot Chicken skit involving Uncle Owen being taken out for his poor taste of a joke about Anakin being an orphan, I haven't seen an on screen movie explanation categorically showing us that the Empire did it, so to speak. It makes no logical sense in the Empire's move here. My senses tell me that possibly, (and I'm only saying is it possible), there is more to this than meets the eye.

Tarkin or his cronies and their forces doing this, maybe. But it seems a bit too extreme. What purpose does it serve? They haven't acquired the droids or the plans, that is the only objective of the Imperial search, not to take out random people.

So certain are you? - Yoda

I wonder, since Obi Wan could easily have had time to burn down the homestead before he rescued Luke from the Tuskens. Luke's reason to stay on his home planet was for his family. Once they were taken out of the picture, Luke could follow Obi Wan on one of his damn foolish crusades.

Notice how Obi Wan never joined Luke to go back to the Homestead, perhaps knowing no Imperial troops were present, and maybe out of some Jedi sense of shame. He was having to resort to the same manipulation Palpatine used against the Jedi before the fall of the Order and the Republic.

Just conjecture of course haha. I love Star Wars. It's just someone made me think about it, and I can't see on screen, proof that the Empire did it. In fact from the meritocracy seen in the Empire in ESB, and force only being used when necessary on the streets of Mos Eisley where the Imperials police and keep criminality and slavery away (Jabba the Hutt and his gangster palace have to operate out in the sand plains away from the population), it seems unlikely the Empire would take out the Lars home.

What purpose did it serve to the Empire? They might have questioned the Jawas initially on a complaint from a local about illicit traders and also on a lead that the stolen data may have passed their way, and frankly tried to arrest them for the crime of stealing droids and selling defective goods to the local populace. Upon resisting arrest, Imperial Stormtroopers may have had to fire to defend themselves.

As for the Lars, Stormtroopers might have questioned them about the droids (much like Robot Chicken's Gary the Stormtrooper), but what reason would the Imperials have to take them out? For the Empire, it makes no logical sense. The only one who gained to benefit from this apparent wanton destruction and act of barbarity is the Rebellion.

You mean he would say the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?

Although why would the Empire take the Lars out? There is no logic in the Empire's move there. My senses tell me that the Rebellion might have been behind this.

Who benefited? The Empire gained nothing from doing that if indeed they did it.

As for the Jawas, the Imperials may well have heard complaints of illicit traders from farmers and locals about this shady vehicle going around and offering bargain prices for droids, possibly stolen ones, and followed a lead that the missing droids could have been picked up by them. On attempting to arrest them and put an end to their cartel, the Jawas may have opened fire and the Imperials, in the course of defending themselves may have had no choice but to take them out.

Yes, a rogue element. Later the originators of the FO.

I think the Imperials really had no need to do this as they gained nothing. Obi Wan sure didn't seem in any rush to go back to the Homestead with Luke....

Indeed! The plot thickens...

The Empire polices the streets. Unlike in the days of the corrupt old Republic, slavery is not tolerated in policed cities. Scum, criminals and bounty hunters cannot operate in broad daylight and cause chaos. Imperials only use Force when necessary. Jabba and his band of troublemakers are forced to operate their base of operations in a "Palace", located in the far plains of the desert.

I am not sure the Imperials burnt down the Homestead. It is possible, but they stood to gain very little. From the ESB we are shown the Empire to be a meritocracy and they do not kill any non Rebels that we know of. Only the likes of Tarkin and his cronies seem to be the extreme nuts who ruin the Empire with the ridiculous plan to use the Death Star as a threat.

You can clearly see people who are against the idea at the conference table. As for the Jawas, it wouldn't surprise me that others like Uncle Owen suspected them of "trying to push" junk and possible illicit material to them. Maybe the Empire received complaints of such illegal traders. They could well have been under investigation by the Imperial Police. Tying this intel together with the Imperial Navy's search for the stolen data, they would have moved in on the suspects. The Jawas, whilst confirming they had indeed stolen the droids, resisted arrest for their crimes of stealing droids and selling stolen goods. In the course of defending themselves, the Imperials may have had no choice but to shoot "so precisely."

Obi Wan didn't seem in any hurry to join Luke to see the Homestead, and only the Rebellion stood to gain from this act of barbarity.

I do think though the Imperial local forces were indeed too slow to lock down Mos Eisley. But the Imperials in general were known to only use the necessary Force and tighten grip where necessary. Otherwise, they simply maintained Order and acted as peacekeepers (more effectively than the Jedi). They certainly were more effective than a corrupt Republic. It is possible that Imperial Command didn't tie Obi Wan and Luke and the droids together, nor realised they could get from the crash site to a spaceport so quickly, thus they didn't issue instructions about this top secret search to local forces to shut down the ports.

I agree, they should have grounded all forces. But perhaps they thought it would alert the Rebels to their search. We do at least see they responded quickly to the Falcon taking off. Han Solo notes "our passengers must be hotter than I thought." The Imperials did not reckon with Han's flying and didn't capture them though.

I agree, the Empire's local forces performed poorly in locking the plans down to Tatooine.

I know. A classic film, classic acting and classic case of "are we sure the Empire did it?"

So certain are you - Yoda

The Empire really had nothing to gain from this. I do wonder sometimes. This theory is beginning to make sense...

19. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Not really. This is some pretty hard core deep state stuff right here.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    "To a dark place, this line of thoughts will take us..."

It seems a little suspicious that Obi Wan didn't join Luke to go back too. And who benefitted from the burning of the Homestead?

"The Jedi are relentless. If they are not all destroyed, there will be civil war without end..."

It seems the Jedi rebellion was not foiled and begun the Galactic Civil War had.

The Jawas though were selling stolen goods. Even Uncle Owen appeared to have made the point that they were trying to push junk on him and pull tricks. Perhaps they even complained to the Imperial authorities about the incident. And the Imperial simply attempted to arrest the Jawas, who resisted and in the course of defending themselves the Stormtroopers had no choice.

Luke himself was keen to join the Imperial Academy as an ambitious loyal citizen. It seems the death of his family was the only thing that turned him to the cause of the Rebellion?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  21. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    BUT NOTHING IN OBI-WAN'S CHARACTER WOULD INDICATE HE WOULD DO SUCH A THING.

He's always been pretty strictly light side. Even if you stretch things and say he did it for the greater good of the galaxy, Obi-Wan rarely agreed with the other Jedi Masters on the greater good argument.

Your argument is nothing but what ifs based on flimsy logic that goes against everything the movie shows and tells us as an audience. You are free to believe what you like, but don't act like this is some common and obvious analysis.

22. JamieH

JamieH Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    If that were true, it would be because Obi-Wan knew that if he brought Luke home, they would all die. He wasn't exactly a one-man army anymore.

23. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Yes thus why he said it was too dangerous. I actually liked how Obi Wan had the knowledge of the Imperial Stormtroopers being so precise. And uncovering what really happened to the Jawas.

The burning of the Homestead was such a powerful scene combined with Williams' score too.

It was merely looking into a humorous theory by someone. I concur that it just isn't his character. But then again...was the same said of Count Dooku?

I jest I jest. What is interesting to me though, is I doubt the Empire gained anything from the burning of the Homestead. And as for the Jawas, I'm not sure either. They appeared to only question Obi Wan and Luke during the checkpoint at Mos Eisley.

JamieH likes this.
  24. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    The Empire had nothing to gain, but nor would it care much if two farmers are killed, or some creatures in a desert. Why would they when they just finished building a weapon that can blow up planets? Besides, we really don't know if the Empire even knew about a what a handful of stormtroopers were doing. Maybe they acted on their own. Soldiers in real life are known to have slaughtered innocent people or destroyed whole villages of farmers, where there wasn't even a single enemy soldier (My Lai?), all without direct orders from the leadership. Maybe the stormtroopers were just bored, frustrated, tired of being in a hot desert, trying out their new blasters with nothing else to shoot at, doing some target practice, showing off Imperial firepower, teaching everyone in general a lesson to fear the Empire more, letting off steam because on duty too long,....?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Jade Kenobi likes this.
  25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Their deaths served his agenda, but nothing convinces me Obi-Wan was involved. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.