main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Official "The Mandalorian" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Corran1138, Nov 9, 2017.

1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Good choice, look forward to seeing what he has in store for us.

kalzeth likes this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This is exciting! [face_dancing]

3. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    I have hope with an announcement like that. The man knows what he's doing.

kalzeth likes this.
  4. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    This is a FANTASTIC news. I used to think Favreau would do the Obi-Wan spinoff, but this is even more exciting in a way -- we get to have him on board for dozens, if not hundreds, of hours of SW material.

In addition to directing big hits like Elf, Iron Man, Jungle Book and the upcoming Lion King remake, he's also WRITTEN more grounded films like Swingers and Chef. For those who don't know, Favreau also wrote a great, gritty Western script called The Marshal of Revelation during the '90s.

Between his directing, writing and acting chops, Favreau is the PERFECT choice to showrun a live-action SW television series.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  5. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Very happy with this!

Note that Favreau is effectively the showrunner for this series, and that he will be working with a "diverse group of writers and directors".

6. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Probably for the best. Not saying Filoni wouldn't do a good job but it would be a little odd to hire someone to helm a live action project who has never done live action before.

kalzeth likes this.
  7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Let the speculation begin! When in the timeline do you all think this will take place?

ETA: I'm thinking/hoping that a TV budget will force this show to focus on smaller stories opposed to epic stories about how a group of scrappy rebels are trying to defeat the empire.

8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    They didn't give a release date but we can pretty much assume it is going to be late 2019 when the streaming service debuts.

In some ways though I am surprised they didn't get the Game of Thrones guys to do this and Favreau to do the new set of movies.

kalzeth likes this.
  9. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Please, don't be set between RotS and ANH. Please, don't be set between RotS and ANH. Please, don't be set between RotS and ANH.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    There is over a 50 percent chance i'd say.

11. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I hear that. I'm thinking if it has to be set in the recent past I'd like to see something between ROTJ and TFA. Maybe it's about a small group of people hunting down former members of the Empire?

On a side note do you all think we'll see any Jedi on this show?

whostheBossk and kalzeth like this.
  12. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    We got a story similar to that in Aftermath.

14. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Favreau has such range that it could be any era/tone. But Iron Man notwithstanding, he seems to be drawn to more "common" characters. If I had to guess, I'd say this will be some version of Underworld, either set between III and IV or VI and VII. I'm leaning towards the latter because Solo and the in-development Daldry Obi-Wan spinoff already occupies the former time period.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I bet he never thought he would go from voicing a Star Wars character to writing a TV show.

kalzeth likes this.
  16. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Given his background I don't think that actually surprised him at all.

Strongbow likes this.
  17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Impossible to say. I think they want this to launch their streaming platform, so I doubt the budget will be very limited. I don't know why they couldn't do something on a pretty massive scale. GoT manages it on a "TV" budget.

kalzeth and avcpl like this.
  18. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I agree, I thin since the success of The Jungle Book, LFL has probably been looking for a way to get him involved. He has talent and passion.

kalzeth likes this.
  19. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I believe I read somewhere that they initially did offer the Game of Thrones guys a TV show and they turned it down.

kalzeth likes this.
  20. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Old Republic Plz...

kalzeth likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    They already had a relationship with him too.

Strongbow likes this.
  22. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Fantastic news! Favreau is an excellent choice, can't wait to see what he comes up with!

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I have not seen much of his work and the only reason I know his name is because of TCW.

24. avcpl

avcpl Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2016
    Exciting to finally hear news, but still gonna be a loooong time coming. Writing, casting, locations/sets.
    Maybe they will shoot for it premiering around the time the last season of GoT ends...

Any predictions?

kalzeth likes this.
  25. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    You should check out Iron Man and Jungle Book (especially Jungle Book). Both very different and both excellent. It'll be interesting to see where he chooses set the series (assuming he gets to make that choice) as he's done such varied work it's not like there's any one setting where you can go "that would suit him best".

Lost_Hope likes this.