main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    I really doubt that Luke will have a bigger role than Yoda in TLJ.
    Remember what Leia said at the end of TLJ "we have everything we need".
    Force Ghost Luke will probably appear in a "certain point of view" type of scene.
    If they pull a "Luke FG who can dwell between the Netherworld and the real world" out of the hat and give his appearance some substance then I may be interested. But the chances for that to happen are very, very slim.

2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    That's what I'm thinking too. There is however Luke's "seeya around kid" line to Kylo which would suggest that uh...we would see him around. If that happens I wonder what form that would take? Some have speculated that that means FG Luke will be haunting Kylo. That doesn't quite seem like Luke's style though. If Kylo does see Luke around I'm thinking it might be all in Kylo's head and not really a case of FG Luke visiting Kylo. That might sounds like I'm splitting hairs but it's an important distinction. Luke appearing to Kylo as a figment of Kylo's unhinged brain naturally plays into the story about Kylo being conflicted. FG Luke appearing to haunt Kylo would be trolling. Would Luke do that? I guess he kind of did that at the end TLJ by appearing as a hologram so maybe it's possible but my gut tells me Luke wouldn't do that?

At the same time I guess Luke could appear to Kylo as a stand-in for Leia. I doubt it though. Kylo believes Luke tried to kill him. It's hard for me to imagine that the writers would give a story between a loving mother and son to Luke who Kylo hates.

3. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I have my doubts that Mark even wants to come back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think, although he says everything with a bit of sarcastic humor, deeply inside he is hurt.
    From the other point of view: If I was Disney I would not hire an actor again that plays one of the main characters that gives such interviews during a blockbuster release.

4. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    He definitely is, no doubt about that

appleseed, 11-4D, Draninus and 2 others like this.
  5. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Hamill was not happy with how Luke was written, not just in TLJ, but how Rian's concept for TLJ then affected the end of TFA, where he was suppose to be shown lifting boulders and showing Rey a great use of the Force in his one scene at the end. JJ's concept originally was for that scene to be more mystical and magical. That all was scrubbed after Hamill was prepared to have at least a powerful Jedi scene in his cameo appearance.

That said, Hamill acted his *ss off in TLJ anyway, and he also did TONS of press and appearances to promote the film. Comparatively speaking, Disney came out ahead on this one, even though Hamill let slip some of his disagreements over the character's direction, overall they got more than their money's worth out of all the promo Hamill did and the incredible performance he gave.

It's not like Hamill refused to do press after reading the script or phoned in his performance, he didn't. And it's too his credit that he gave it his all.

That being said, I don't think JJ could hold it against Hamill for expressing himself within reason. This is SW after all and the saga and Lucas have been dealing with Guinness, Ford and even Fisher being sarcastic about the scripts or cracking jokes about SW for decades. Comparatively, what Hamill said in a couple of interviews leading up to TLJ is both thoughtful and shows how much he CARES.

Given that, JJ can't hold it against him when writing, in other words, keeping luke as a FG cameo because of his pre TLJ comments. No, I think JJ will let story lead, and I do think there's a chance, given that JJ didn't use him much in TFA and given that Rian changed Luke's character from JJ's initial intention, that JJ will give Luke something really cool to do in Episode IX. Most likely not a huge role with lots of screen time, but something more significant to the plot than just giving Rey some advice in a 2 minute cameo, especially with Fisher gone, and Ford unlikely to return.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  6. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Mark: "But if [Luke] made a mistake, he would try and right that wrong. So, right there, [Rian and I] had a fundamental difference."

To me, Mark sounds like the Luke we saw on Dagobah. Mark needs to think about Yoda's instruction..... "do, or do not..... there is no try". The way Rian wrote Luke for TLJ, Rian adhered to Yoda's teaching. Luke had become an island hermit [to do not], and then Luke returned for the Crait showdown [to do]. I think Rian wrote grumpy hermit Luke because J.J. & Kasdan's Luke had not formulated the proper strategy or tactic to effectively shift anything, until he decided to make his appearance on Crait. Luke knew he could'nt just go against the First Order with his lasersword..... that would have been a try-and-fail. He formulated a do, and executed it. To me, that seems like Rian wrote a very wise and calculating Luke.
    In order for Luke to perform a powerful act of positivity, he first had to consume and dwell in a fair amount of negativity. Yin and Yang.
    This is a good read..... a Taoist view of the universe:
    https://creativesystemsthinking.wordpress.com/2015/07/31/the-taoist-view-of-the-universe-alan-watts/

7. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
  8. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Or maybe if they hire the main hero of previous franchise listen to his concerns about the character? A character he's lived with for 30 plus years.

9. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Awesome! I hope Carrie will follow as soon as possible...

Lost_Hope likes this.
  10. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    Writer doesn't need to listen to actors, thank God. There is the reason why one is a writer and other is an actor. Some things that I heard from Mark (whom I love very much) about Luke, Jedi and SW are quite odd. Mark was waiting for Luke's appearance in the Forest Fight scene (when new leads are both calling the lightsaber) while reading TFA script. I mean, it's obvious that this is their moment to shine, not Luke's. Like this is VERY obvious.

11. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    i like Mark Hamill a lot but he's not a writer. He's an actor. Just because he plays Luke doesnt mean that he can come up with a great SW story on his own. Grumpy broken Luke was IMO far more interesting than Old Ben 2.0.

12. powerfulforce

powerfulforce Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 16, 2005
    Their moment to shine with absolutely no training whatsoever and yet it took the son of the chosen one three YEARS of using the force and he still struggled to pull a lightsaber towards him? If he came back there, it would've been an awesome moment that many fans would've been whooping and hollering about as well as a great way for him to return the series before passing the torch to the new protagonist. A writer doesn't always get it right and sometimes people who are attached to their characters can gauge fans better. A Luke who gives up is probably not what many fans had in mind and are unable to fathom. I mean that he would do the things he did and then get broken down to not even help for years on end isn't what many expected or wanted. I think he could have taken on the mantle of really being a hero, training the next generation and then ride off into the sunset so to speak. That was the conclusion Mark and many fans had, I don't think it is really needed to be subverted.

13. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Um, Mark Hamill made it abundantly clear that Rian Johnson listened to him extensively and that they held long discussions about everything.

It's one thing to not like the approach taken in the movie, but don't make up claims that are obviously untrue.

14. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    I thought Mark Hamill's part was powerful and engaging. Challenging too, yes. Great acting and great narrative arc. Greatest Jedi ever. Just as the pen is mightier than the sword, the force, the mind, is mightier than any lightsaber, than any fleet. Luke embraces the legend he's become and it's beautiful. It's a a bit like Alan Moore's V for Vendetta, one man can't save the day and is eventually mortal, but an IDEA, an IDEAL lives on forever....

oh yes a bit more subtle than your average superhero movie but hey, can't please anyone [face_tee_hee]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  15. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    This isn't Luke's trilogy. It's not all about him. He is not the main hero. They actually DID take the focus off Rey and put it on Luke at the end of TLJ and that's giving Luke a LOT in the story. And that is out of reverence for his character.

MH and some fans just seem to want Luke to come in and epically kick every FO *** in his vicinity. They want him to be the main hero IOW in a trilogy in which he isn't the main hero.

16. powerfulforce

powerfulforce Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 16, 2005
    Or maybe we wanted a Luke that didn't give up and was so radically changed from what we loved about him in the first place. Maybe actually show him truly training Rey and pass the torch to her. Luke's character had to struggle and the fans wanted to see the payoff after DECADES of him not being on screen. What we got was a Luke with a decimated order, wallowing in self-pity/loathing on some tiny island. Also with today's technology it would have been great to see how far Luke had progressed in his power since we last saw him and I'm sorry an illusion trick just didn't cut it at least not for me or many others.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think Luke's story in IX will mainly be with Kylo. He'll be "haunting" him, questioning his every decision. Kylo won't have a moment's peace. :p

18. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    It would be interesting if we find Kylo isolated in Ep. 9 and Luke, whether it be in the form of a ghost or just a figment of Kylo's imagination, is the only person Kylo can talk to. I think somebody else mentioned it before but Luke playing a role similar role to "Head Six" or "Head Baltar" in Battlestar Galactica could be interesting, minus all the sexy stuff of course, heh.

Satipo likes this.
  19. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    We've only so far seen Jedi Force ghosts speak to/appear to Jedi who are receptive to them, those who want to talk to the spirit and have a certain command or potential using the Force themselves.

It would be a progression and show more power on Luke's part if he's able to speak to and appear to Kylo, who's less likely to be interested in talking to Luke's spirit, or even to non-Force users, like if Luke appears to Rey and Rey happens to be with Finn at the time, it would be cool if Finn could see and interact with Luke as well.

The other thing that could be cool is if Luke even as a spirit, can interact with the physical environment around him...to a certain degree.

This is a very basic example, and I'm not saying it's a great story idea, but what if Luke gives Rey a new Kyber crystal for the lightsaber she constructs. And his ghost just hands it to her as if he is standing right there in the room.

20. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I'd like to see Luke haunting Kylo, and guiding Rey - as the story allows.

21. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Mark is a better writer than Rian Johnson.

Rickleo123 likes this.
  22. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    @powerfulforce Maybe some fans were expecting a payoff. I watched the OT as a small child and it's my favorite SW trilogy. I didn't have an expectation that Luke would be back nor did I have an expectation that nothing bad could ever befall him. I feel like Luke got a lot of focus in TLJ given that he's not the main character in this trilogy. Luke already got his own trilogy, and I wouldn't be surprised if they cast someone to play a younger Luke at some point. It's true I'm not a hardcore Luke fan, but I do like Luke a lot. I don't see him as getting a bad deal from the writers. Yes they wrote him as having gone through terrible hardship. But he's a character who is devoted to a spiritual path. Such paths often involve facing the dark and the cold, the loneliness and pain of existence, etc. Ever read Siddhartha?

23. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    I would like to see examples of Mark's writing. Outside of brilliant idea like Luke's clone, of course.

24. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Yes how Luke is evil in the ST but then we realize it's his clone!

Or how Luke's GF's kid killed himself with Luke's lightsaber.

25. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Those are MH’s ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.