main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    The irony is that Kennedy saved Edwards by bringing in Gilroy. IMO, the real production stars who seem to deserve a ton of the credit for RO are Knoll for the concept, and Weitz and Gilroy who turned that story concept into a strong screenplay.

RO is also the ultimate love letter to the OT era and deliberately chooses to not even touch Jedi Force lore at all which immediately removed one aspect of debate from the equation entirely. Throw in the greatest retcon of a plot hole in cinematic history (The Death Star Weakness) that all Star Wars fans have had to endure as a criticism from people who don't like Star Wars and getting that retcon and personalizing it and making it deliberate (around a father/child relationship no less!) basically united most of the fandom around RO almost as much as seeing Vader wrecking Rebels like a horror villain in his prime. Almost.

Once you move out of the OT era and aren't uniting the fandom around the fix of a weakness that all Star Wars fans have had to endure... and you're establishing new Force Powers, and deciding on new story elements after 18 months of speculation, and ending the mortal lives of OT characters on screen and showing them struggle before that happens... you're basically playing with fire within the most hard core corners of the fandom. When you're doing that there's just no way to please everyone.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  2. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    R1 is my weakest of the bunch, but you're right - it avoids the hot spots that TFA and TLJ both plow headlong into.

3. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Filoni in charge would be a mistake. He has a role as creative director and part of the story group. Put him in charge and we’ll soon learn that Ahsoka is the key to all of this and secretly the first Skywalker. I love Dave but wouldn’t want him in charge of everything.

4. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    His achilles heel is his over-attachment to some of his characters.

5. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    That's the opposite of an achilles heel. He's passionate. He cares.

It's also business. I suspect they've all decided within LF that Ahsoka is good business.

Darth Smurf and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Bingo.

I had a college professor who endlessly hammered us with the idea that a good writer doesn't make it obvious who their favorite character is. For the most part, I adhere to that.

Rickleo123 and Satipo like this.
  7. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    That's kind of what Rian did with Kylo Ren imo.

8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Had never thought of that. Good observation.

9. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    If that were an actual rule, protagonists wouldn't be a thing. More specifically, GL and RJ both wouldn't qualify is "good."

Take out the "kind of," replace it with "exactly," and this is dead on.

10. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Even the gritty, mature tone feels primarily focused on the older demographic of fan who grew up with the OT and less focused on what might work for younger audiences. K2SO is less cutesy kid-friendly robot and more sarcastic and direct.

I personally love RO and see it as almost a part of the OT now but it's lightning in a bottle because of its proximity to the best of SW and it's incredible central premise which is aimed at nothing short of taking one of the bigger weaknesses of ANH and making it better than ever before and giving more background history on something discussed in it.

An Oppenheimer-like father deliberately designs a weakness into the Death Star while being forced to complete it and his daughter and a crew of Rebels goes on a spy mission to retrieve that weakness. That premise sells itself. All they had to do was tell it well and they generally did.

ImpreciseStormtrooper and Satipo like this.
  11. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    What's the correlation between a protagonist and an author's favourite character? You've misunderstood what the rule is.

Darth Gummybear and Lost_Hope like this.
  12. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yup.

No one was making the point that we shouldn't have protagonists or that writers shouldn't love those protagonists, or even have favourites. Ideally, you love all your characters.

13. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    *sigh. It seems to be a preferred method of discussion around here to tell people they don’t understand something if one disagrees. I misunderstood nothing. I get it. I think it’s a silly rule that makes no sense because obviously a writer will identify with, and therefore very possibly prefer, the protagonist. They get into that character’s mind and build the story around what that character needs. I have read countless interviews where authors discuss how much they have come to love their protagonist. There’s nothing wrong with that in fiction at all imo. In fact, go ahead and assume every single one of my sentences is prefaced with “imo.” I’m not interested in you or anyone telling me I just don’t understand when we are talking about opinions.

I wish the creative director at LF loved Rey as much as Filoni loves Ahsoka. Maybe then Rey would not be two for two on forced intimacy.

14. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Rey has not been intimate with anyone?

15. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Read what Satipo wrote. The rule isn't "authors can't have favourite characters". At all. This isn't a matter of opinion, you quite simply didn't understand what Chorus' professor was saying. Here it is again:
    I had a college professor who endlessly hammered us with the idea that a good writer doesn't make it obvious who their favorite character is. For the most part, I adhere to that.

You can disagree with that of course, that writers can be obvious and still be good, but it's not the same thing as saying "well, protagonists wouldn't be a thing if that were true". The two aren't related.

16. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Again, I understood. I think it is very often obvious, in wonderful fiction, who the author’s favorite character is, and very often that character is the protagonist for obvious reasons.

I realize that it’s news to a lot of people around here, but people can have different opinions while understanding exactly what’s said. Weird I know.

17. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Except that's not really the counter point you were making at first.

18. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    We may have our differences around here but I think we can all at least agree that green milk is better than blue milk, right? =P~[face_laugh]

19. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Actually my first counterpoint was that if that’s a rule, protagonists wouldn’t be a thing. My point has been the same the whole time. Are we now done discussing my internal thought processes where people that aren’t me try to tell me about me?

20. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    [​IMG]

You don't always have to double down you know. We strangers on the internet won't think less of you.

21. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    “I took a lot of crap for Jar Jar Binks,” Lucas said, referring to what is quite possibly the worst character in the history of American cinema, as he stood up from the panel table he’d been sitting behind for 45 minutes. “But let me say here once and for all: He was the best damn character in any of the six movies. He was by far my favorite. He was funny, he was kind and moral and he ended up playing a pivotal role in setting the course of the Emperor’s actions in motion. If not for him, the story would’ve gone nowhere. Nowhere."

(I'm kidding. I just find funny in the context of this discussion that GL said that Jar Jar is his fave.)

oncafar likes this.
  22. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I could say the same for you doubling down on telling me what I do and don’t understand. There aren’t two sides to this conversation discussing posters. Really it’s just your side. I’d say that it’s against the rules, but I wouldn’t want to minimod, and sometimes points are so obvious, like protagonists obviously being authors’ favorite characters frequently in fiction, that it doesn’t need to be explained in detail.

wobbits and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  23. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    That's not the point anyone was making though.

It's not wrong for people to point out that you may have missed the point.

KembaSkywalker and Satipo like this.
  24. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    “May have” wasn’t used, and wow, lol people get over it. Once I explained what my point actually was, that should have been the end of it. If people are looking to, in lieu of trying to understand where people are coming from, just assume people don’t understand anything because people are maybe talking past each other, that’s also okay to point out. It’s petty and the same people around here employ that method of talking down to others pretty consistently.

I again was responding to the point made. Now you’re misunderstanding me and I wonder if it’s deliberate. I used the word “obviously” there as in obviously in the writing. Good lord, when you really want to believe someone doesn’t understand something, clearly people will try to misunderstand.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    At least we can identify the source with green milk. For better or worse...

Ender_and_Bean likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.