main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn & Rey in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ren Kylo, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Did you buy the novel @Deerborne?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  2. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    This scene is also consistent with what we've seen before, i.e.legacy characters having insight into Rey and Finn's naïve affection for each other.

'Leia noticed' is the key. Like Han knew. And Chewy knew... knows.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  3. Deerborne

Deerborne Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2015
    No. I've just been reading excerpts that've been posted to Tumblr & Reddit.

4. modaubr

modaubr Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2016
  5. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    I'm mad that we are now two films in, and neither of our main protagonists have full names. Was at least hoping that we get one for Rey, given the whole "who's her parents" controversy, but it never came.

All of the other new characters do (Ben Solo/Kylo Ren, Poe Dameron, Maz Kanata, Rose Tico, etc.), but Finn and Rey still don't. What's up with that?

6. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    It'll more than likely stay that way after IX as well.

TheLastHaterOfZero likes this.
  7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm blame Bossk. He started this trend.

8. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    For Finn, that is part of the tragedy of his backstory. Until Poe, his only name was FN-2187, so it breaks continuity for Finn to have a last name. His birth name likely includes a last name but I doubt he'll ever find it out.

For Rey, it probably just never had time to come up. It'd be sad in a poignant way if she was too young to remember her last name when her parents abandoned her, so "Rey" is the only name she had ever known.

9. MKL1985

MKL1985 Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2018
    She says something along the lines of “we’ll see each other again my friend” Finn is referred to being her friend in TFA and TLJ multiple times. I know friends can become lovers, but in a movie that’s moving so fast paced why bother at every turn point him out in words as “the friend”. Seems strange to make them hug and have sweet moments together but when it comes down verbally in canon he’s always her friend. Also we know following Finns progression in the movie he learns, with the help of Rose, that Rey should not be his motivator and that Rose says Rey will have changed and Rey’s on her own path. Makes me wonder why the whole Canto Bight scene in the novel goes to great length to have Rose downplay Finns relationship with Rey and it isn’t to show Rose as jealous but more to show Rey’s not apart of his future. Same way Kylo is always the one harping on Rey to get over her family issues so she can follow her destiny. Whether Finn and Rey will end up with their emotional supports (Rey/Kylo & Finn/Rose) we’ll see in episode IX I guess?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Kara Starbuck likes this.
  10. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Because, as RJ stated, he's not writing the end of this series and has no idea which way the last director (Who was Colin) will go. So he made sure that it was clear that Finn and Rey still care for one another but made no move to confirm things one way or another to give the last Director/writer the freedom to take the relationship wherever they wished.

wobbits and TheLastHaterOfZero like this.
  11. MKL1985

MKL1985 Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2018
    Yea it was JJ that was throwing the friend word out in TFA and he’s directing episode IX. The point I’m trying to make is again why say he’s her friend? Why bother? Nothing about there exchange implies that they couldn’t be friends without needing to “clarify” it in words. They just hugged. Didn’t really need to classify him as anything at all, BUT they did. I was shipping them too but it was too many references to him being her friend when I was like. I think they’re trying to tell us something here... JJ did the same as Rian and left it open for Kylo, Finn and even Poe. I could not at this point in time say that she’ll definitely be with either of these guys. She could be with no one at the end for all we know!

12. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Correct, JJ left it open for the Next director, and RJ did the same...so if all options are open, then it's perfectly fine to consider HOW Finn & Rey's relationship will progress....especially since JJ re-wrote it in TFA to make them on more friendly terms after seeing them together on screen.

wobbits and TheLastHaterOfZero like this.
  13. MKL1985

MKL1985 Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2018
    Yes, a lil JJ jealousy dynamic!! I loved how they had Finn and Kylo do a “bar fight” over a girl in the forest on star killer base. Complete with punches like Anakin did in clone wars over Padme lol

14. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    They'll either be given last names in Episode 9 as an 'Awesome moment of crowing' or left without last names to drive home the idea that where you come from dosen't matter as much as what you choose to do. If the goal, going forward, is NOT to have a dynastic force family....or even have legacy play a role in Star Wars tales then Finn and Rey may never be given names....and each time they tell a story in this universe...they create new characters without much connection to the Skywalker (or any other) family.

15. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Lol could you imagine if the recent John Boyega interview went like this?:

interviewer: so who'd you like to see Finn end up with?

John: Personally? Rey. Yeah, Rey. (after saying that they have a loving relationship)

Interviewer, suddenly twitching and on the verge of a seizure: Ummmm. Excuse me sir that's an invalid answer according to this page/section in the novel, this minute/second of Rian's commentary, your statement last year, and the end of TFA where the word, "Friend" was seen. Please pick a different answer.

Seriously people have a bigger problem getting over the "friend" barrier than the "murderer who's loyal the the dark side and rejects redemption twice and takes over the galaxy" barrier. Soooooo tired.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  16. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    John Boyega: (Giving the interviewer a pointed look) "Have YOU talked with JJ about Finn and Rey's arc....and connection....no? Then it's not an invalid answer."

RandomGreyJ likes this.
  17. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I swear any other time people would NOPE over the "Friends to Lovers" trope, yet for some reason with Finn and Rey (and other similar looking pairs) it's treated like some sort of deadzone.

(i wonder why that is)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2018
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Friends to Lovers is the best romantic trope in fiction.

19. SomeLoser

SomeLoser Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 11, 2018
    Yeah, rather strange that, for some reason, this is just that rare example where people actively root against the underdog best friend.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2018
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Let's keep the language clean.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Thank you! Someone finally said what needed saying.

22. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    To be fair it's not like Disney has EVER had two long time friends fall in love....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    and it's not like JJ Abrams has presided over a story with a similar dynamic....or one where the couple was of mixed race...

[​IMG]
    CLEARLY....we're all crazy for thinking Finn & Rey is possible. [/sarcasm]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  23. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
  24. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Thank you. I haven’t read the TLJ novelization yet but those images and that passage made my day.

Skillzwalker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.