main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Over here February is usually the coldest month, which usually means that spring often begin sometime in the middle or end of March for Stockholm, rigth now it's +2°C but one week ago it was really cold. In Härjedalen, from where I have just returned from, the snow is laying thick and the normal temperature was around -6°C

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    At least there is a pattern of some sorts. Here, you never ever know. March and June tend to be the most unpredictable months, but everything else is an open book. E.g. October is notorious for being the driest month of the year, yet we've been having super-rainy Octobers from 2015 on. And that pisses me off, since it's the best month for cycling.

Another unpredictable night out yesterday - the friend who got me into that concert on Friday reserved me two theatre tickets and I found somebody to go with me. The play was, well, out there.

Today is a me day. Full stop.

mavjade , Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    My mom found out that a major local first-run theater is still showing The Last Jedi. So on the day that digital downloads of TLJ start for $20, we are instead sitting in the auditorium waiting for the first showing of the day to start, having spent $5.70 each for tickets and skipped the overpriced concession stand. #winning

Lady_Misty, mavjade , Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    First some background (qouting from TVTropes): "Girls Next Door by Pika-la-Cynique is a Buildingverse Fan Webcomic, told from the perspective of the eponymous Girls Next Door [...], Sarah of Labyrinth and Christine of The Phantom of the Opera. It follows them as they live together as roommates in an apartment building with No Fourth Wall, attend a university, and try to get on with their lives in spite of their respective stalkers-slash-suitors who live downstairs. They are often joined by friends and neighbors from all corners of fiction, including James, Javert, Crowley, Aziraphale, Legolas, Lizzie, Luna and Nanny Ogg.

This DeviantArt fancomic is Meta Fic that tends to run on Finagle's Law and Rule of Funny (or Rule of Fanservice, It should be noted that the comic uses the term "fanservice" somewhat differently that TV Tropes does. While here it generally means "random sexy content included to please the audience," there it means something more like, "random shipping content included to please the audience.")."

This page is from the university they go to:

[​IMG]

"A tiny bit of a behind-the-curtains peek at Saint Jude's. Of course the board of directors of a cross-continuum place of study (and residence) for characters from all kinds of different worlds involves Lord Asriel, that's pretty much his life's work. And those desk plants of his may or may not be the kind found at the PPC HQ. [​IMG]

Hamilton! is making a pain of himself in Sarah's classes. He has a prickly but mutually appreciative relationship with Leia ("winning was easy, governing is harder...."), sometimes gets along with Daenerys, but generally does not play well with characters from more fantastical, magical-monarchy verses. And writes very long essays detailing his arguments, but keeps losing points for appealing to some sort of "realism" arbiter or "applicability" arguments that do not fly at Saint Jude's. And here is where I pointedly do not make any jibes about Hamilton's canon of a humanist, meritocratic (and, unrelatedly, hip-hopping) US democracy being just as divorced from any "prime world" reality as any space opera these days....tralala.... good thing IRL events 2016-onwards stopped affecting GND-verse.

There's this weird unmentioned and unmentionable awareness of a hierarchy of credibility, however, at the uni, which does result in the characters from musicals canons being kept mostly separate in a building with stronger disbelief-disruption fields because why is everybody singing??? takes some serious handwave power. (Christine and Javert have book versions....)

Also, interestingly, just a throwaway term here but Altered Carbon's canon tech of Stacks and sleeves works rather neatly with this crossover type situation when it comes to situations of the same fictional character played by different actors.... (less so for the "an actor can slip between fictional roles they have played" as has also been seen a few times, and the final gag here.)

and because hell if I am going to look up all the credits and copyrights,
    character list in order of appearance :

Nux from Mad Max: Fury Road (honorary Wrench Wench, where he met...)
    Finn and Rey from the new Star Wars trilogy (Finn and Nux have become pretty good mates dealing with their past indoctrination-into-canon-fodder issues. With Rey, it's mechanics talk and getting starry-eyed over green growing things)
    Javert from Les Misérables (currently, campus security officer)
    Alexander Hamilton as portrayed by Lin-Manuel Miranda in the Hamilton musical
    Lord Asriel and his snow panther daemon, from the His Dark Materials 'verse, The Golden Compass/Northern Lights movie version as played by Daniel Craig
    Dennis, formerly the muddy anarcho-syndicalist Peasant from Monty Python's Holy Grail (who's nowhere near retirement - he's not an old man, he's only 37!)
    and in the final panel, Daniel Craig slips into another, more ass-kicking and famous role of his.....
    (also referenced: Telcontar is one of LOTR's Aragorn's aliases; and Jupiter Ascending gets fun poked at, again)"

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Flyboy240 and mavjade like this.
  5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Usually February is the coldest here too, but this early March has been a bit crazy. Thankfully the nor'easter here wasn't really anything. It snowed a lot this morning, but it was too warm for it to stick to the ground. I like the winter but I'm totally ready for warmer weather now.

That play sounds interesting, EP!
    In Boston there's a running show called the Donkey Show which is an adaptation of A Mid-Summer Night's Dream that is a 70's disco show. It's odd, but fun.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Usually January is the coldest here. It's like unseasonably warm here right now. It was 10C yesterday and it is 8C here today and it's supposed to hover around this temperature all week. Which is nice because the snow needs to go. Unfortunately it also means driving is like driving through lakes. Mud, just mud everywhere. I made it up to the university yesterday and got a ton done while sitting in the sunshine, which was nice because my Sunday sucked.

Basically, I decided to make my yam soup mix, so I peel and chop up a huge yam (without hurting myself - small victory), put it all in the pot, pour in the mix... and then I realize there's cinnamon in it. I actually like cinnamon, but the smell gives me an instant headache (which usually turns into a migraine - though it isn't as bad as curry). I didn't want to waste a full pot of soup, so I finished making it anyways, making my whole suite smell and just making me miserable (I tried to mask it without making it worse but I still ended up with a migraine). I actually tried the soup and it was quite good, but there was no way I could eat it. Thankfully I'm friends with starving students who gladly took the whole pot off my hands.

7. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    any one get their copy of TLJ yet? I watched it again and I would like to reiterate my opinion of weak sauce on Johnson's writing.

Edit; I hope that is spoiler free since I'm not revealing anything other than my opinion of a writer's work?

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    @Thorn058 The spoiler period for TLJ was over a long time ago. The spoiler period for movies is 2 weeks.

I'm personally waiting till the blu ray is released. Some stuff I don't mind just buying digital copies of, but the blu ray comes with the digital copy anyways so I'd like to get a physical copy too. My friends and I do a lot of movie nights and sometimes it is just easier to bring a physical disk.

Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  9. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Don't have Blu-Ray, going to have to get the digital version instead.

10. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I preordered the Best Buy steelbook the day it became available for preorder. As stated above, I also watched it again in the theater today, and was not nearly as impressed as I was on opening day. The coolest part is still Holdo hyperspacing through the First Order fleet, but the whole sequence on Canto Bight served no real purpose. I think TLJ has taken a nosedive in my Star Wars movie rankings today.

11. Flyboy240

Flyboy240 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 6, 2017
    Yeah I'm waiting for the blu-ray too.

I still have VHS copies of the original trilogy, Phantom Menace, and AOTC. I have DVD's of all of them too, including the set that has the only DVD versions of the original edits of the OT.

I like to have physical media, gotta have something for when the weather gets nasty and the internet goes out lol

I've seen TLJ twice in the theater, and my second viewing actually made me like it more.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  12. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh no, Bri! That really sucks! :( At least it didn't go to waste.

I'm waiting on the blu-ray for TLJ as well. A lot of times it comes with the digital so I can have both. The digital does come in handy on a plane ride or when my disaster team gets deployed and we actually have power.

Lady_Misty and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It's also like only $5 more for the physical copy, which makes no sense to me, but it's Disney so I'm not surprised. I tend to watch most stuff on my tablet anyways, either in bed or for background noise while I'm cooking, eating, or working, so I could get away with just the digital copy, but I'd just like to have it.

I have the OT on VHS (found it at a garage sale a few years ago and for a $1, it was too good to pass up), DVD and Blu-Ray. I have the PT on DVD and Blu-Ray, and all the Disney stuff on Blu-Ray. My father had TPM on VHS and I still kick myself for not taking it from his apartment.

Though, yeah, I did enjoy TLJ, but I actually only saw it once in theatres. I'm not sure if I'm just drifting away from the fandom (says the person currently wrapped in a homemade BB8 quilt), or if other things just interest me more (and my attention is just required elsewhere).

14. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    I have everything on VHS(several versions) and DVD but haven't upgraded to bluray because they have never dropped the price on the collection. I will eventually get them but I have them on digital and they are ready for the family (or just me) to watch whenever.

15. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    We're getting the Blu-Ray .

It's snowing outside, a nor'easter; yay. *end of scarcasm*

16. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Definitely waiting on the Blu-Ray.:)

Lady_Misty likes this.
  17. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I've just got word back from one of the companies I applied to in the last weeks. Its in a market very close to where I live and the work times work very well with my schedule at university. Last week they invited me to a job interview and since then I've exremly nervous. But today I finally got the call that I get the job!

I'm so happy right now. :)

18. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Anedon likes this.
  19. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    [confession time]

Last week there was this big story on the news that the Greek police arrested a neo-Nazi group in Athens who conducted a number of attacks on people and were planning to conduct more. I realised while watching TV that the leader of their stormtrooper gangs is one of the men who assaulted me and beat me to a pulp outside a refugee camp back in 2016. So I had to shift gears from a year and a half of getting used to the idea that I'd never know exactly who assaulted me to this overnight change that I had to take action to get the attack against me added to their case file. Long story short, there are lots of Very Complicated Feelings™ involved in all this and I'm not quite out of the woods yet, but I gave my deposition today and it was liberating.

Bottom line, I'm not in a very social mood and I'll probably stay that way for a while, but I'm still lurking in the background and I'm hoping to be operational again in the not-too-distant future.

Hugs to everyone!

[/confession time]

20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Congrats Anedon! That's awesome!

Chyn- Oh wow. I know that wasn't fun seeing his face again and reliving that. But I'm so happy he'll (hopefully) be punished for what he did to you and what he's done to other people. Don't worry about being social, we'll all be here when things calm down a bit. If you ever need someone to listen, I'm happy to do so! [:D] [:D]

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Wow. Chyn. Yeah, complicated feelings are totally understandable. But I'm glad you are feeling liberated. We are here if you need anything, but lurking for awhile is something I've had to do as well. It's nice to have an distraction without getting too deep into discussion.

In other, maybe a bit more lighthearted news, I'm officially going to my uni's summer school in June! I booked flights last night. The event in Leicester is a week long, but my assistant and I have to fly into and out of London anyways so we are going to spend a few days around there. It's going to be a bit of an experiment to see if doing my PhD is something I want to look into. I love the subject matter, but not so much the long distance learning part. I can grin and take it for the rest of my MA, but I think I would want to do my PhD there.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  22. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    @Anedon - Congrats.

As for me, I...got what I needed this morning, before I went to the doctor. And now I need to find the subs, because @ihatesandtoo is not sure if she'll be able to get all the new names, term etc immediately. Not that anybody would, I use subtitles on SW anything for that purpose.

But good news. REALLY good news. The doctor's report is super short, as follows:

"OBJECTIVELY AND SUBJECTIVELY WELL"

Finally. After about a year and a half, some of which was pure hell. [face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing]

We're going to try and apply for a cash loan at two different banks and just pay the bloody utility bill. That way I can start from zero, pay no more than 17-18€ per month for the next two years and just, you know, live.

Two more shows this week, trying to freeload on both. [face_devil]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  23. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Chyn, I hope that scumbag goes away for a long time and doesn't see the light of day for a long time.

Congrats @Briannakin! I hope it's everything you hope it is! And have fun in London. :)

This might sound like a strange question but does anyone's hands, especially their dominate hand, not seem to hold onto heat that well? My hands, fingers especially, seem to turn icy cold during the day and I struggle to keep them warm.

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Congratulations @Anedon -- and @Ewok Poet -- & @Briannakin -- studying in England -- just too awesome for words! =D=
    @Chyntuck -- I can just imagine the tumult of feelings! :eek: Pop in when you can and know you can PM anytime [:D] [:D] @};- !!!!

25. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Thanks, guys :)
    I'm still a little nervous about the whole thing but being accepted for this job has allowed me to relax quite a bit. Its nice to have those worries gone.