main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Music and Fanfic Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jedi Master Kenobiwan, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm on a Garbage kick right now. :)

They've always been kind of boring to me. I think I listened to them in January for the first time since, like, 2010.

Kahara likes this.
  2. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    Reminds me of Rey, Finn, and Poe after TLJ. :)

Chrvches is also everywhere nowadays it seems.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Kahara and Flyboy240 like this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I liked them a lot until this obnoxious guy who posted photos of fellow users on pr0n Reddits started aggressively promoting them on one of the other forums I post on. I should get over it and give them a listen again.

But seriously, this theme should be active daily. Who writes in quiet, anyway?

My most played song of 2018, so far...

Kahara, Flyboy240 and CosmicDust like this.
  4. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    I listen to music when writing all the time. Mostly instrumentals, but there are also songs if the I see the lyrics fit for a certain moment. I also pick the pieces depending on the mood of the scene I am writing, and I make Spotify playlists specifically for writing.

Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  5. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Sometimes I have music on when I'm writing, sometimes not. Sometimes I will be listening to music and a song will make me think of a certain character.

Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The vast majority of time it's silent when I'm writing. I can't listen to anything with lyrics because it's too distracting. So if I do listen it's with instrumental music, but that doesn't always work for me either. If I'm some place in public and trying to write, I usually do listen to something instrumental because that's less distracting that everything else.

However, I will listen to music before I write, especially if I need to get into a certain headspace. A few weeks ago I needed to get into a really sad place, so I listened to a song that makes me cry every. single. time. I listen to it: It's Quiet Uptown from Hamilton.

So I listen, and then I turn everything off and write.

7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Speaking of music while writing... anyone got recommendations for something suitable for characters exploring a crystal cavern? There's one on ESB soundtrack, but I need something else more...mysterious.

Kahara, AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Try this. :)

9. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001

Used to listen to this album all the time! Some very mysterious-sounding tracks. :)

10. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I find myself pulling from a lot of different sources when I create my chapter soundtracks. Lots of classical music, Enya, Danny Elfman, some ABBA, and I still need to bring the Doctor Who theme in at some point.

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  11. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Try Also Sprach Zarathustra, by Strauss.

Pandora, AzureAngel2, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  12. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Oh, Kitaro! I'll have to find that; I haven't listened to his stuff in ages, but he does do wonderful mysterious stuff. I'll look for the Strauss, @Cowgirl Jedi 1701. I like soundtracks a lot too, @Nehru_Amidala, but so far only 2 have supplied me with Crystal Cavern music. Although maybe I'll have to listen to Superman again, maybe the Fortress of Solitude?

AzureAngel2, Kahara and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  13. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    How about these?

Depends on what kind of mood you're after for the scene I suppose, tension, neutral, wonder.

For a more wonderful nature, how about this:

14. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Oooo, good ones, @darkspine10! I'd never heard any of these before. Yes, this is a huge help!

Kahara, AzureAngel2 and darkspine10 like this.
  15. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I find Casting Crowns quite inspirational in general and in writing.

16. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Though I can only really write to music without lyrics, there are so many artists/bands/etc that for me are just great for sparking plot ideas. In other words, I'm just going to spam this thread with some of my favorites. ;)

Taylor Davis is a violinist who has done really neat covers of various video game/movie soundtrack songs, but also lately has done a couple of albums from her own compositions (which I like best of all, though the others are good too)

Vienna Teng writes really amazing songs about a variety of things. Some are more or less like pop songs, but the really good kind. Others go way out into introspective left field. And all of them are just really creative and well-executed.

The Brevet is a band that apparently writes music for films I've never seen. :p But anyway, I really love the way they seem to combine some folk/country influences with something closer to rock music. And each of the songs seems like it must have a rich story behind it, but you only get a glimpse. (In other words, plot bunny heaven.)

17. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    A few songs roaming the playlist, on the Tatooine rebellion station:

Ewok Poet, Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  18. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Same here.

This is my latest music to write to:

Along with my current fall back:

Kahara likes this.
  19. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I've mostly been writing fanfics for the Vampire Diaries for the last few years. If I listen to music when writing fan fiction I choose music from the TV series.

CosmicDust, Sith-I-5 and Kahara like this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    @Pandora, thanks for not making me feel like an alien for not having a problem with lyrics. :D

Current oldie jam...

Sith-I-5 and Kahara like this.
  21. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Usually, I don't have an issue writing to music with lyrics--and actually, if I have listened to a song enough times, I don't pay much attention to them, even when I'm deliberately listening for the lyrics and I want to--but there are times when music is too distracting for me, and when that's the case, it applies to instrumental music as well.

Okay, music: recently, and at seemingly random, I was reminded of the band Astronaut Wife. I doubt anyone here will have heard of them--they were probably only ever known in the Twin Cities, where I first saw them perform in the haze of cigarette smoke at the 400 Bar in 1999. Basically, they had three--and then two--female vocalists with beautiful ethereal voices singing songs about alienation and outer space. Well--really mostly alienation.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  22. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I'm not totally sure that Fanfic is the correct place for this, but since it involves character descriptions and stuff, I thought I'd put it here. :)

So, you know how sometimes there are songs that match a character? I don't really know how to describe it, but when a song fits a Character, It is "their song". I'm interested in seeing which songs you guys think go with different characters, and why.

@ThisIsMe1138 can probably help explain this a little better. ;)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  23. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  24. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Oh, I didn't know there was a thread for that, thx! :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I think what you're describing is a character's theme song---and yes, please do make a discussion about that in that thread if it applies---sounds really interesting!

Ewok Poet likes this.