main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Last Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 21, 2017.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It would be a great shame if nothing is done with this, but there is the TFA-TLJ precedent.

re: Poe and Holdo

I found the book rendered Holdo worse, in that she's more clearly not caring a whit about morale and she absolutely ought to. If the troops have confidence in her, then the idea of there being a plan but she can't yet share it, would fly - there are times when your boss can't be wholly open, but if you know they're not out to do you over, it isn't a problem. Holdo allows negativity full rein on board and expects nothing bad to happen. Like Luke, more internal viewpoint was needed to make that work for me.

As it was? Well, when Draven starts looking to give more a toss for his people in R1, it's not good.

re: Ackbar

Snoke's assessment of Hux was cutting but Ackbar's was far more to the point, it made for an excellent sequence.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, Ackbar's assessment of Hux is one of the best Ackbar scenes ever written. Hands down.

--Adm. Nick

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Mind you, his treatment in the book is to state, "This lineage was stupid and I'm going to destroy all of what makes it have meaning."

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Delivery man brought the Amazon UK order containing this earlier this afternoon. Next on my reading list!

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I have discovered on rereading that I quite enjoyed the Caretaker epilogue scene, actually. It’s probably my favourite non-Snoke, non-Ackbar, moment.

As to Holdo, I wonder if the novel would have benefited from her having a POV moment before she was entrusted with the plan, and then Jason could keep the suspense of her appearing to ‘not have a plan’ without us being completely outside her head until ‘after the plan is revealed’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hypatia likes this.
  7. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Mine should arrive this week, I'll start reading it the day I get my hands on it!

8. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    just got it yesterday. going to start it here pretty soon.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Mine finally came and I have read it. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I got my copy last week; just trying to finish Leia: Princess of Alderaan before I start in!

11. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I really enjoyed reading The Last Jedi novelization. The additional scenes and dialogue are fantastic. Highly recommend reading this book.

12. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Just got the audionovel! Yay!

I love 1138. I love TLJ. Too bad you don’t. It’s amazing how before TLJ RJ was anointed. And now he’s messiah or pariah for many.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I think Jason did a great job with Holdo, personally. It's tough to write characters without revealing their ultimate motivations, I think Jason managed to do this without killing any of the tension between Holdo & Poe, which is a key movie plotpoint. Vice Admiral Holdo is one of the most fascinating characters in the new canon, I'm really hoping we see her at one point in the ongoing Star Wars series. Afterall, she was a Rebel commander. ;)

--Adm. Nick

Vthuil and jSarek like this.
  14. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I wonder if she wore an evening gown while on duty in that war too? Have we seen an explanation as to why Holdo doesn't wear a proper uniform as suits her rank of Vice Admiral? I found it hard to take her seriously as a military officer when her outfit was more suited to a night at the opera.

If she were a Senator like Mom Mothma or a Princess like Leia, I would've been fine with her attire. But as a military officer it really stood out.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, it's the Resistance. They are even more of a loose organization than the early Rebellion. :p

I don't believe it's been explained IU, but I can't fault Holdo. General Leia Organa wasn't exactly in uniform either. There are a lot of reasons we could find to explain the reason Holdo is in a gown, but I'd like to think she did because she could. I like the quirky side of her, plus maybe as a Gatalentan that type of dress is military? [face_dunno]

--Adm. Nick

16. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    In Leia's defense, she was wearing a proper uniform in TFA. She just saw the need to change prior to the evacuation. Maybe she only had one uniform and it was in the laundry.

Though Holdo wearing a non-uniform outfit just because she can doesn't exactly improve her image in my eyes. Especially when she goes out of her way to emphasize Poe's demotion. Her insistence that he follow regulations and do as he's told loses some of its credibility when Holdo's breaking regulations herself.

Maybe I'm being too superficial, I just see Holdo standing in the secondary bridge in an sleek gown when everyone else is wearing a uniform and I raise my eyebrows.

PCCViking and HedecGa like this.
  17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Visually, having Holdo in a purple gown also makes her more of an outsider, so it was done thematically, IMO.

--Adm. Nick

Hypatia likes this.
  18. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    That seems to be the case with many elements of The Last Jedi. Things are done for their aesthetic appeal, but when examined more closely, they don't make sense. I did like Holdo's ring though.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

sidv88 likes this.
  19. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    See also: Star Wars.

20. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Why do they need to wear a uniform? They made the organisation and they are just standing on a bridge? They can wear what they want. I mean you may as well ask my Mon Mothma was wearing a gown.

More importantly it contrasts them with the First Order.

21. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Mon Mothma wasn't an admiral though. Ranked officers wear uniforms. This would be like Admiral Janeway taking over command of the Enterprise from Picard wearing what Holdo's wearing. It doesn't make sense.

Vialco likes this.
  22. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    What's the practical difference? The only difference is that one sits in the middle of battle and the other doesn't. They should wear what they are comfortable in.

cwustudent likes this.
  23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I would also note that Leia was wearing a more formal gown and not battle gear in TLJ. So there was precedence for Holdo doing so even within the same film she appeared in.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Quite. It could be said that the ongoing controversy over TLJ is testimony to people caring greatly about SW, whichever way they view TLJ.

The only depressing development has been this tribalism that has arisen over how TLJ is viewed. For me, that needs to end as soon as possible. I accept it probably won't, but it's not healthy. Doing pieces like the 1138 one is one way of opposing it.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They aren't part of any government, they're not an official military, they make the rules.

cwustudent and DarthPhilosopher like this.