main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Last Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 21, 2017.

1. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I agree. SW hasn’t been this divisive since AOTC. I joined here (under a different username) in 2002, though I had lurked since 1998. There was some disappointment over TPM, not much hate, and some positive response. AOTC seemed to divide the fan base as many had hoped it’d improve on TPM. Many, not me, were let down. ROTS got the best response overall, but there was definitely tribalism.

TCW seemed to unite a lot of people whether they were bashers or gushers, but I got out of posting then.

I couldn’t renew my old account (I’m technologically incompetent), so here I am hoping for the best for SW.

It’s seems the PT has a lot more love. Doesn’t hurt if JJ, Rian, Hamill, Ron, and Gareth speak up for it. And Klimo and Smith.

It seems in the MSM and BO the ST and R1 unite more than divide, unlike the PT. TLJ is a big success critically and financially, but again the most divisive SW film since AOTC.

A lot of people here whom I respect and and even agreed with in the past are disappointed or even detest TLJ. I wouldn’t call them tribalistic. But there is the tribalism.

Corellian Blue likes this.
  2. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Holdo wasn't expecting to take command. A better Star Trek example would be TNG "Disaster" where Lt. Cmdr. Deanna Troi ends up in command, not in a proper uniform, because there was a disaster.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

3. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Mon Mothma was the military commander-in-chief and she never wore a uniform. Leia rarely wore a uniform until ROTJ. The New Republic/Resistance might be lenient on uniforms as long as it's functional to the situation. Holdo clearly knew how to move in that gown.

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I was really interested in the allusions by the book to Sloane and conquest in the Unknown Regions by the First Order's forces.

5. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Too bad he got rid of Sloane. Too honorable? Wonder if he and Rax would have gotten along. Doubt it. Too powerful and focused, too Imperial. And it appears Thrawn didn’t make it into this era. Too bad.

I’m glad he wasn’t manipulating my boy Palpatine.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, Thrawn might actually be in the FO. It just depends on what the next cartoon series will be about.

7. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Would be curious to see how you take the transition of Holdo as a character.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    And before that, since The Empire Strikes Back. It's almost as if these middle chapters are designed to destroy our preconceived notions of the narrative and set up a strange new status quo for the finale.

Vthuil, jSarek, Valency Jane and 3 others like this.
  9. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Always figured Rax for Snoke's agent, considering that there is something about Rax being Palpatine's agent that never sat well with me.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  10. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Wouldn’t be disappointed a-tall. But then why the omission in TLJ novelization.

The genius of Lucas.

Fascinating. So did Snoke manipulated Sloane and Rax against each other?

11. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    No, Rax would destroy the Empire and pick officers and officials that would be perfect for the Empire Snoke likely planned to create. Sloane ended up taking over when Rax got himself killed.

Palpatine likely feared Snoke, which is why he had plans on Lothal and elsewhere, to counter Snoke. There is something about Snoke that never sat with me and I think this is Palpatine's canon threat compared to the Sith Lord's legends threat of the Vong.

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think the Last Jedi has destroyed the idea of Snoke as a Palpatine-esque master planner and all powerful evil. The way Snoke talks about the other leaders of the First Order, it's clear that he wasn't the leader of the FO from the very beginning like many thought. Instead, it seems like Snoke was just sitting at the table with the others before he managed to take them all out.

Voltron64 likes this.
  13. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    One thing which I noticed in the audio commentary for TLJ is Rian saying that originally Holdo was much more 'spacey' but they ended up changing the writing and reshooting those scenes to make her more grounded. I immediately wondered if that helps to explain a little bit of the disconnect with Princess of Alderaan.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The story of how Snoke eliminated his rivals in the First Order's power structure is something I'd love to see. A lot of us suspect poor Rae Sloane was one of his first victims...

--Adm. Nick

15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah. She's definitely an interesting character in POA, and I'm looking forward to comparing her depictions. Unlike a lot of people, I really enjoyed Holdo in TLJ even though I sympathized with Poe (he was wrong, but he had good intentions).

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Then you would have perhaps observed from a safe distance, the epic blow-up that were the Vector Prime wars.

Star by Star was the next.

And then there was what came to be dubbed the 1.3m affair....
    Be interested in what you make of this. I keep meaning to look again at POA, as there I liked Holdo but don't care for her TLJ version.

One of the aspects I find I quite like is that there isn't that much of a master plan for the bad guys, it does seem to be more improvised.
    It does look to be so, but it's a story that ought to be told in full.

17. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    And the book is here, finally. I'll start reading it right away :D

18. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    I got the audiobook. Luke is married? Cammie?

However, I’m not a big fan of Marc Thompson.

No. I was out of SW EU for a while. Big exception were Bane 1&2, which I loved. Never got around to Bane 3. DP was only very recently on audio.

I lost interest in post Thrawn Trilogy SW.

Giovs likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Wow, that's a new opinion - Thompson seems quite popular here.

Duguay and Vialco like this.
  20. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    No. I was out of SW EU for a while. Big exception were Bane 1&2, which I loved. Never got around to Bane 3. DP was only very recently on audio.

I lost interest in post Thrawn Trilogy.

I’m an English teacher here in Japan. I focus a lot on pronunciation: enunciation, intonation. Maybe he’s too clear? :)

It’s not so much his vocal characterization. At times he gets too excited when the Sith hits the fan and it’s actually counterproductive.

Or, maybe I binged on SW audiobooks and needed a break from him.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't have first-hand knowledge of Marc Thompson's work, just going by posts I've seen here.

22. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I don't think he got rid of Sloane; when describing the fates of the other would-be leaders, while some were dead or killed, he does mention that others were simply regulated to other positions. In the Phasma novel, Sloane is mentioned as still serving in the navy under Snoke's rule within a few years of TFA, so she didn't have a target on her back from Snoke.

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Mind you, that's when Hux Senior is eliminated. I think that's when the purges start but we can see in TLJ that the older Imperials are completely shut out of the halls of power. Certainly, Hux holds them in complete contempt.

Humorously, THEY think Hux is going to go down.

Revanfan1 and WebLurker like this.
  24. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Sloane is mentioned, but it doesn't specify anything about her current situation.

"Sir, if I may say so, if Admiral Sloane were here--"

"Well she's not," Armitage snaps. "Any other threats you'd like to hold over my head?"

Later, as Cardinal reflects on his past, he thinks back to when, "Brendol has been preparing for a big meeting with Grand Admiral Rae Sloane and the other leaders of the First Order--well, the first set of leaders." Again, it doesn't specify when exactly that meeting happened or what happened to those leaders afterwards. So for all we know Sloane could be serving elsewhere in the First Order, defected, or dead.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  25. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Very good point. I do agree that Sloane's status is unknown during the sequel movies. I guess my thinking is if she's dead by then, it's not because Snoke offered to secure his own power base.