main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episodes I-VI soundtracks to see remastered release May 4th, 2018!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Seagoat, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Martoto77 likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Indeed! Thanks for the share. Another way Disney will be getting there moneys worth from me.

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Track listing is what I need. If it's actually a complete release for the PT I'll be very happy. Otherwise, meh.

4. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    This is awesome news! Looking forward to the track listings too.

5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I expect these are just the same masters that were released by Sony in 2016 as they are re-releases by Shawn Murphy and not the complete scores which Mike Matessino would likely do.

6. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Wonder if we'll have the actual movie scores and not just the regular releases

Tracks like "Heroes Collide", "The Boys Continue", and "Boys Into Battle"

We can always dream

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    They are just remasters, not any sort of complete score. This is literally just Disney getting the rights to these scores all collected back under their roof and re-releasing them so they're in print. These are the Original Soundtrack releases. I am curious if they will do the 1997 "special edition" track listings for the OT, or if these will literally be remastered versions of the 1977, 1980 and 1983 OSTs.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Huttese 101 likes this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No credits from me if this is just a reissue of the same thing (even if it's remastered).

Darth Dnej likes this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, if it's just a reissue I probably won't bother. If there's anything new that's a different matter.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It's a reissue, there's nothing new except packaging. And a new remaster, but that will be only a slight improvement in sound.

11. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Not crazy about the packaging but I lost my original copies of the soundtracks in a PCS move so I will pick them up regardless.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    If that is the case then I would get those on CD. As you say the previous releases on CD were the SE versions again with only the LP and digital releases being the actual original masters for the IV-VI soundtracks even though the actual packaging was based on the original (which these are not).

So if they are the actual masters on CD I'd get them then place the discs in the previous releases packaging.

13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm not too particular about what editions they are myself, but I am excited to hear of these remasters! A great way to celebrate 5/4. I look forward to getting these releases (when I have the $ to actually get them all)!

That said, I was under the impression the OT was remastered already back in 2004 or 2005 or something. True? Either way, IMO the PT scores could use a remastering, and the OT releases from '04-'05 were not all that great to my ears TBH. Besides, remastering technology (as well as techniques) has improved greatly over the last decade or so since the last such release. There's potential for them to sound really good.

I look forward to the possibility of a brighter, clearer sound-less tape noise, a more even balance between instruments in terms of dynamic range, and more power in the lower range!

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    The six original soundtrack releases got remastered on the last release from Sony in 2016. That is the music programs created by JW for the movies at the time. So that was done already. These 6 releases are those. The PT for sure. The OT remasters were only released on LP and digitally not on CD. The CD versions were simply the the same as the '97 SE complete scores (probably the exact same as the 04 releases which had unwanted extra sound processing which thinned the sound out).

If you haven't got those before then these are great to get.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I won't get this, as I have the 1997 special edition soundtracks for the OT (twice actually) as well as the 1993 soundtrack anthology release for the OT. Then I have the OST for the PT and the TPM Ultimate Edition as well. I have all of this music already on CD.

I will hold out for something down the road, I'm hoping for a full cleanup, remix, remaster for the OT scores. I rarely listen to them, as the sound quality just bugs me. Especially ROTJ has some terrible sounding stuff, despite being an incredible score. I hold out hope that they can somehow use 2018 technology to full restore and remix these to sound better. Hell make them sound like the E.T. score. It's from 1982 and sounds miles better than ROTJ a year later.

16. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Same for me.

17. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Any news on that? Don’t recall any site clarifying that.

18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Some news seems to indicate that these could be yet different and newer reconstructions of the albums. I expect that the OT will be the album versions not the SE version.

Since they all got remastered last time and released two years ago I don't see what happened in the meantime.

19. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Regardless, I’ll get them due to the better audio. Ripping the original six soundtracks to my iPod I noticed they vary in volume, with TPM and AOTC seeming quieter than the others. Higher audio is welcomed.

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It's just a money grab, so far as I can tell.

21. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    What uninspired covers, they aren't even trying anymore :(

Tosche_Station likes this.
  22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah the covers blow.

23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, they need to re-master those covers. I haven't purchased a CD since '12 (Dark Knight Rises soundtrack). Don't see that changing here.

24. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Seagoat likes this.
  25. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Gonna pick these up for sure :)