main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Last Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 21, 2017.

1. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    That won is still not even close to ending. I got here moderately recently, and even I have ptsd over that debate

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Here's to Snoke transferring his spirit to another body!

Then Kylo Ren and Rey can defeat him and he can be the ruler of the Galactic Triumvirate!

3. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Bah, essence transfer. Darth Plagueis swore he'd never use such a technique to return. Snoke is dead.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Hypatia and cwustudent like this.
  4. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Is this book Stover-level good?

TheRedBlade likes this.
  5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Sloane would be in her mid 70's by the time of the ST so she easily could just be retired somewhere.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, for anyone after info on the First Order, Phasma's great.

Depends, what are you expecting from or looking for in it?

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    No. It's mostly just the movie with some decent small additions.

cwustudent and Vialco like this.
  8. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    With all due respect to Mr. Fry, Stover brought a bit more poetry to his prose. Where Fry matches or exceeds Stover, however, is the in the other areas that made the ROTS novelization so good. Firstly, the novelization has all the intangibles that make this feel like a Star Wars novel, rather than the product some jamoke who doesn't know this universe coming in to transcribe what's going on on-screen (looking REAL HARD at you, TPM and AOTC novelizations). This allows Fry to work in references to other canon projects, and give a little bit of Legends flair here and there. Fry writes an excellent Luke, and all of his scenes that touch upon the Force really bring in the magic that the movie successfully captured. The added or expanded scenes all work very, very well, giving us insights into characters that would be impossible to easily communicate on screen. The novel made me more sympathetic towards Poe, and brought more of the tough spark that we saw in Rey in TFA than made it to the film. We get at least a short POV section from each of the big three droids, and each is an absolute delight.

It's my second-favorite novelization behind ROTS, but it's a much more fun read.

9. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    The ROTS novel is epic and operatic. The TLJ one is more functional (and Fry's reference-material roots shine through whenever he gets to describe a new ship) but the character work's just as good and as thoughtful.

MKL1985, Vialco and TheRedBlade like this.
  10. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I think it's better than the ROTS novelization. While I do get that the ROTS novel can qualify as a decently-written book, I find it too different from the movie to be enjoyable as a companion piece. I also find that the overly poetic descriptions make the story seem more distant than intimate the way a novelization can get into the character's head.

Mileage may vary, but I think that the TLJ is the second-best of the adult novelizations (with the best of all being the Rogue One one in my opinion).

TheRedBlade likes this.
  11. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    not sure if this is the right place but I have a question about the Audio book.

Now i'm 99.99% sure this is bunk but i've been seeing a rumor going around FB and other sources that say in the Audio book it says Rey learns all of her force powers from Rey touching Kylo's hand in the force communication.

I've read the book and don't remember that happening and the Audio books are usually direct translations. So can anyone confirm this is complete BS?

12. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    The book doesn't say Rey learned all of her Force powers from Kylo in TFA, but it does say she did learn more about the Force and how to access it.

The rumour is just fb being fb.

13. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    ok yeah that makes a lot more sense. As we do see in the movie Rey and Kylo takling about her encounter at the cave. That follows.

thanks

14. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Does the novelization have anything to say about where Rey got her Jedi robes? Did she have her Jakku clothes dyed and add a few things at the Resistance base?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

15. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Not that I recall. (I personally assumed she got all her extra clothes from the Resistance.)

16. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Just funny, because that outfit is mostly her Jakku outfit turned grey, with a couple distinctly Jedi-like additions. And it just happens to be in a drawer on the Falcon.

Really wish Luke had eventually come around and trained her. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

17. MKL1985

MKL1985 Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2018
    I want to talk about what Leia means when she says “war and grief had been her only truly faithful companions.” What is she implying Han??

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That he's dead. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Revanfan1 and TheRedBlade like this.
  19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I read the novel and can't remember anywhere that says that he met Snoke in the unknown regions or that he was looking at different force abilities in the unknown regions. I know I read something like that on the internet but not the novel. Maybe I skimmed it fast or one of you would know more, if its in the book lead me to the page so I can brush up on it.

20. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    She could very well have picked stuff reminiscent of her old clothing and mixed and matched.

If the novelization is to be believed, Rey screwed that up big time.

We know that Snoke knew Luke founding a Jedi school and trying to train Kylo was one of the steps needed to push him into choosing the dark side and did what he could to get that to happen. I took that it was more Force manipulation than actually meeting face-to-face, but they were vague on the details, just that Snoke wanted it to happen and that Luke and Kylo wound up playing right into his hands.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  21. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It would have been funny if instead of the dream of marrying Camie Luke had in the beginning, Luke instead had a dream of being his Legends self, a decorated war hero, leading an entire Order of new Jedi Knights and defeating threats like a reborn Emperor and alien invaders. But I'm sure that sort of "in-joke" probably would get edited out immediately. :p

Hypatia, Nobody145, PCCViking and 5 others like this.
  22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I assume this kills any chance of Luke getting married.

23. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Yeah I initially thought they would try and work it like that.

24. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    I don't think that would've worked at all. The vision we saw shows what would've happened had he never become a Jedi and/or gotten involved in the war, which makes thematic sense given that Luke sees himself as a failure in the TLJ and that the Jedi need to end. His vision subtly argues against that by showing that he did make a difference for good (and also contrasts the relatively happy life he could've had vs. the dark place he'd ended up in in reality).

Xammer and nancipants like this.
  25. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Like another poster says, the novel does not explicitly say what kind of contact Snoke and Luke had, and is generally vague on these details.

All it says is that Snoke was aware of Luke and his journey to learn more about the Jedi. At some point Snoke sensed that Luke endangered his plans for conquest, and used his knowledge to thwart him and his family.

The book does not specify more. Considering Luke’s conversations with Rey and everything that we know about Snoke, I don’t think it likely that they met in person, or even that Luke was aware of Snoke until later.

Many of Snoke’s actions seem to be more remote and hidden, “from the shadows,” similar to his manipulation of the Force bond between Kylo and Rey. We do know that Luke was learning more about the Jedi, that he had no intention of teaching a new generation because he felt that the galaxy was in balance, and that eventually it was the power he sensed in Ben that changed his mind.

It seems this is connected to whatever Snoke did to him, whether it was some kind of Force vision he made or a gradual set of dreams or visions that he used to convince Luke that Ben could be a great Jedi. Whatever it was, he was also working on Ben at the same time, ensuring that Skywalker’s efforts would end in failure.

Honestly, much of what Snoke says is a bit difficult to parse in terms of timeline. We’re not sure when or how early he started acting against the Skywalkers, but the implication is that he targeted Ben from a very young age, possibly even from when Leia was still pregnant with him. But I’m not sure how that fits with his being generally OK with Luke doing his thing for a while and then deciding 20 years later that he was a problem. Maybe he was just laying seeds should he need to act against Luke.