main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Future Of The Force/Force Users Post TROS

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Ghost, Mar 25, 2018.

?

They should, whether still called "Jedi" or not... (see post for more detailed descriptions)

1. 1A- allow marriage/offspring/family

56.8%
  2. 1B- NOT allow marriage/offspring/family

9.6%
  3. 1C- multiple temples, some like 1A, some like 1B

24.0%
  4. 2A- be centralized, all accepting assignments obediently from a single council/leader

10.4%
  5. 2B- NOT be centralized, wandering do-gooders following the Force

31.2%
  6. 2C- multiple temples, some like 2A, some like 2B

36.8%
  7. 3A- affiliated with the (Newer?) Republic

14.4%
  8. 3B- NOT affiliated with any government

46.4%
  9. 3C- mutiple temples, some like 3A, some like 3B (and some even possibly serving other governments)

21.6%
  10. 4- Should be of all careers/cultures, not strictly "Jedi"... & even non-sensitives

21.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    PRO EDIT: THREAD MERGE AND TITLE UPDATE!

THIS WILL NOW BE THE THREAD FOR DISCUSSING ALL THINGS ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE FORCE AND IT'S USERS POST TROS.

What will be the future of Rey, and others awakening in the Force throughout the galaxy? Even if Rey dies, others will inevitably rise from nothing, just as she did.

They might be be called Jedi, or they may be Jedi in all but name (Rey could rename them "the Skywalkers"). But unless IX ends with everyone being cut off from sensing/using the Force, there will always be Force-using Lightsiders, whatever they're called. Maybe even more than one organization, since Luke makes clear that the Jedi don't have a monopoly on the light.

My brief thoughts:

They should allow more diversity, and be more decentralized. Different temples with different philosophies.

It seems like Luke took a good first step in his New Jedi not being affiliated with the New Republic, from what we know so far anyways.
    If the Jedi do truly return, and number in the dozens/hundreds/thousands again, I think they should be more decentralized and diverse, here are some ways in which they can do that:

1. Some temples allow family/marriage/offspring.
    Other temples still don't allow it, like the PT Jedi.
    (For the Jedi temples that do allow marriage/family, let them emphasize how it's a tougher path, and teach how to deal with loss and conflicts of interest without turning to the dark side.)

2. Some temples have a council that's centralized with all its members obeying its assignments.
    Other temples are just for training, meeting, and exchanging information... its members just follow what the Force tells them, wandering do-gooders and mystics.

3. Maybe a few temples are affiliated with the New Republic.
    But also a few temples are affiliated with no government.
    And even a few temples are affiliated with the New Separatist Union, or the Chiss, or Confederacy of Corporate Systems, or other powers and nonprofit organizations in the galaxy.

4. Some temples insist a Jedi needs to be completely devoted as a Jedi.
    Other temples embrace Jedi of all careers and cultures, where being a Jedi is like a religion on today's earth... Jedi doctors, Jedi scientists, Jedi pilots, Jedi engineers, Jedi veterinarians, Jedi politicians/activists, Jedi musicians, Jedi artists, Jedi comedians, Jedi CEO's, Jedi farmers, Jedi chefs, Jedi retail clerks, etc.

5. Grow the "Church of the Force"... have "Jedi" like Chirrut in Rogue One, and Lor San Tekka in The Force Awakens, who can't actually use or sense the Force, but still follow the Jedi ways.
    If the "Jedi" name sticks... that label could still be confined to just a few of the above categories. Or you could call some "the Orange Jedi," "the Coruscant Jedi," "the Dagobah Jedi," "the Chiss Knights," "the Republic Knights," "the Separatist Jedi," "the Jedi Guardians," "the Centralized Jedi," "the Jedi Monks," etc.

But the point is, even if they aren't called Jedi, these other temples/branches exist and are widespread throughout the galaxy, in healthy coexistence. All servants of the Light, to counter the Dark Side wherever and however it might spring.

What are your ideas on the future of Force-using Lightsiders?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2019
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hopefully not an Order getting wiped out by the most promising Apprentice a generation from now again.
    Multiple Temples, a Council to regulate things when needed but Jedi are free to do as they like (mostly).

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I thought it was obvious that the end of Last Jedi was saying "Don't worry. The Jedi are coming back."

I think they can have a nice long arc with the adventures of the New Jedi. Tell lots of stories.

Thinking more... I think a Young Jedi Academy would work with Dave Filoni's style just dandy.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Mostly Handless and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yes, but what will they be like? That's what this thread is about.
    (also, Rey doesn't necessarily have to call them Jedi, but that's not the point)

5. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Fair call.
    I think we start with a simple central Rey Training Dojo.
    Rey and her class of kids. She will try the model Luke attempted.

But unlike the Prequels, it's not a government department. It's hidden off on Achtoo or somewhere else out of the eyes of The First Order

And it can evolve from there.
    Force users are discovered and brought in to be trained. Individuals head off on adventures or to start new Dojos. Part of the fun is watching the Jedi expand and evolve.

I think the Lone Roaming Samurai is a sign of decay. It's a sign that there is no home to go to. We may get those loners, but they may be viewed as trouble.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    For me Luke got several things right, but also several things wrong with his new Jedi Order. I think these are the things that Rey should add to Jedi Order 3.0

Allow Marriarge: Luke seems to not have allowed this or I am just assuming for now, but I think that was one of the mistakes of the old order.

It should be decentralized: Luke didn’t really have enough time to implant this, but it did seem to be where he was going. It is needed for the Jedi to not become complacent again.

It should not be affiliated with a government: the Old Jedi Order was dragged into war due to government. Hopefully the New Jedi Order will never have to do that again.

7. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Luke's main failure was not going full Thought Police on his students.

If a powerful dark master can corrupt your students from a distance, then you have to be regularly probing their minds for evil influences.

Or implement some anti-Force Projection defence field around your planet. Something made out of Kyber Crystals, I'd assume.

Gotta have defense systems to counter known attacks.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  8. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
  9. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    In the future, everyone becomes a Jedi!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  10. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I want to see a Jedi order that never rises in equal numbers that their ancestors had. Keep it smaller and maybe make them more nomadic. Their main HQ being a starship.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Why keep it small?

10,000 in a galaxy of quadrillions of quadrillions is an extremely small number.

Especially if there's diversity, different temples with different philosophies.

12. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I bring up small numbers because it took thousands of years for the Old Order to have thousands of members. Since the Jedi order will start again with just 1 Jedi post-ST (unless Ben becomes a Jedi again) it doesn't make since to see a massive increase. Not even Legends NJO got to 1000 if I am remembering right. Thousands of Jedi could work if we got a HUGE time jump after the ST. But Rey would be dead by then. If Disney wants to give us stories about Jedi knight/master Rey, expect numbers to not be increased too much.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Legends NJO had 1-2 thousand by time of LOTF/FOTJ. When you start with young adults, you only need a few years of training. Also, like in the new canon, Luke started off having 12 students at a time.

It didn't take the Old Jedi Order thousands of years to have thousands... in the PT they were at their pinnacle, and extremely picky on who they'd train, they had no urgency, they were comfy in their tower being part of the Galactic Republic, etc.

And yeah, this thread is about the movies that will take place decades/centuries/millennia after IX, not the immediate future.

I think any continuing presence of Rey will be in books, comics, and animated TV... not with Daisy Ridley, who has said she can't wait for the end of the trilogy and how she probably won't come back.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    More on different philosophies, power, abilities, secret stuff, new awakenings. Make Star Wars vibrant, with different lightsaber styles and colors. Let’s get bold!!!!!!

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I like 4 myself with minor tweak: these beings should all be force sensitive. As much as I love the Jedi and how flawed their hive mind can be, seeing Force users in a variety of careers.

I keep going back to Dawn of the Jedi and the balance of light and dark (it failed there too, but I loved the idea of a dark sider who turned to the light). A centralized order just brings up more rules and beings who will break them. That said, I do think destructive Force abilities that corrupt the user -and eventually others- should be off limits.

16. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I think the ST and even Legends Canon have adequately identified that the primary issue with the Jedi Order was it's lock in dogmatic principles. I would love to see the Jedi Order reborn, but more along the lines of the Living Force or even along the lines with what Luke had began to figure out in Legends with letting the Dogma go.

My take away from the TLJ was that the old ways needed to die. There should be nothing to stop an evolved Jedi Order from rising.

Jedi Merkurian and Ghost like this.
  17. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I see the Jedi moving towards a more eremetic existence, far removed from their position at the heart of galactic government.

A loosely connected, widely spread community of small groups. Perhaps one master with a handful of students.

Like buddhist mountain hermits, or Yamabushi.

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Nerd that I am :p , when I ran a post-RotJ role-playing game, this is how I structured the Order re-started by Luke:

The Jedi served as wandering peacemakers, rather than government enforcers. They held no position with any government; the promise and warning Luke gave was that the Jedi stood ready to aid any who were just and peaceful, and oppose any who became tyrannical. Individual Jedi had one apprentice at a time, or several; as they saw fit. Typically however, a Master had a single apprentice at any given time.

Jedi were not prohibited from having families. As part of their training, the Jedi consulted with military and constabulary officials; learning from them how to balance duty with family. Some Jedi had families, some did not.

There are several localized temples with local councils, and a High Council of some sort. However, that High Council would be more of an advisory body, rather than an administrative one.

The High Council consisted of 11 Jedi (anyone who was a Knight or Master was eligible) voted on by members of the Order every few years, rather than be chosen by existing High Councilors. This served as a vaccine against "spiritual inbreeding," as Luke called it. The High Council would then elect a Grand Master from their number. And owing to Yoda constantly edifying the wisdom of a "beginner's mind," the Grand Master would select one apprentice (not his/her own) to serve on the Council. That Padawan would serve until either becoming a Knight, or a new Council and/and Grand Master is elected, whichever came first.

The central guiding principle of the revived Jedi Order was a maxim of life which Luke asserted that the Jedi of the Old Republic had forgotten: evolve or perish.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  19. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    This makes perfect sense to me. Considering that the Jedi are positioned as beacons of hope for the galaxy in TLJ, and the various ancient Jedi temples that have been featured in canon material over the past few years, it seems IMO, that the order was at one point less centralised, with small Jedi enclaves spread throughout the galaxy, interacting on a day-to-day level with communities throughout the GFFA. Serving to both inspire and protect those communities.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    True. I wonder if these ideas could come true in post-IX movies... set in the ancient past as well.

Perhaps the Sith hunted down the others, leaving the one branch of the Jedi most prone to corruption/lethargy?

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Not too much discussion yet of Jedi with different careers (ex: Jedi scientist, Jedi doctor, Jedi artist, etc.), or of more non-sensitives adopting the philosophy and religion of the Jedi. What are everyone's thoughts on those two ideas specifically?

22. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I always enjoyed the old canon's take on different jobs within the order, medical, agricultural, Diplomats etc. Its more along the lines of what we have in society IRL. Not everybody can be a Navy Seal or Jedi Warrior, but that doesn't make their other knowledge and contributions any less valuable.

With the resurgence (presumably) of the Jedi post the final film it would only stand to reason that people would adopt their philosophies as a way of life or even some kind of theism. There are those on Earth who do that now so why now in the SW universe?

Ghost likes this.
  23. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I think something similar to the Green Lantern Corps from DC Comics would be interesting: each sector of the galaxy has a two Jedi (one master and one apprentice) who are responsible for protecting it, but they keep in contact with others in nearby sectors if something major happens. Every year or so all the Jedi from around the galaxy gather on a Jedi "home" planet (say Ach-To), the residence of an elected council of masters, to discuss important matters and share knowledge with each other.

Also, I'd prefer if not all of them use lightsabers. Let at least some of them have their own unique weapons (or wield none at all).

Bor Mullet and Ghost like this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Sign me up for this.

Darth Nave likes this.
  25. jimmy92186

jimmy92186 Jedi Padawan

Dec 18, 2015
    This question could change based on what happens with the Saga movies. But do you think the SW movies are heading away from the Sith/Jedi/Force storylines? Personally, I find the mystical and superpowered elements most fascinating. That doesn't mean I dislike the other stories. I thought both Rogue One and Solo were both really good. But, I'm hoping that the new direction doesn't close the Saga elements and then leave the force users out from now on. What happens in IX could easily make it apparent what Disney wants to do and change predictions but it seems like they are really trying to move away from the mystical elements.