main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is R1 Your New Favorite?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    The correct genre label is space opera. [face_laugh]

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Rogue One

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  2. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    The ending for Rogue One is still too sad for me to call it a favorite, though it's grown on me as time goes by.
    My two favorites will forever be ESB and ROTJ.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  3. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    most of China for one. But yeah there are a lot of people or those who have seen it and don't really care.

There was a british TV show called "I haven't seen Star Wars" It was basically an interview show where a celebrity guest would talk about something not doing something everyone else has done.

4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    It's funny you mention China. I have a college friend who's teaching English there, and ironically enough, when we were suitemates we'd watch ANH and he'd quote absolutely every line verbatim.

5. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Rogue One is third on my list, after ESB and ANH. It's the only SW movie since the OT that I rank up with OT films. Those three + RotJ, are all so close in rankings. They're escapist cinema near-perfection for me just because they are so re-watchable.

6. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Rogue One is currently my favorite Star Wars film, yeah. Even after TLJ came out on blu ray (I really enjoyed TLJ a lot btw), I found myself throwing in Rogue One while I worked yesterday. It is just such a good film.

Edit: I really hope that Gareth gets another chance to play around in this galaxy again. He has pretty much disappeared since R1 came out though. No Hollywood work at all and I think he deleted all of his social media accounts. I love TLJ and am glad that Johnson gets to do more Star Wars, but if I had my choice, it would have been Edwards who got that trilogy.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  7. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Rogue One is currently sitting comfortably at the top for me.

9. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    I don't think Rogue One will ever be my absolute favorite, but it's far and away my favorite thing from the Disney era so far. I think that it strikes the perfect balance between being different, and complementing the whole saga. I'd love to see more films in the R1 mold.

Kind of like Captain America: The First Avenger, I liked Rogue One the first time, but every time I rewatch I like it more and more. It really holds up, and it has a sense of depth to it that makes it rewarding to revisit.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Avnar, Dagobahsystem and AhsokaSolo like this.
  10. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I hope he does too. R1 is my second fav SW film after Empire.

So, do we know why Gareth deleted his accounts and hasn't been working? Is he ok? I did see that he had a cameo in TLJ.
    [face_thinking]

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    After Rogue One, he deserves to be handed a big budget prestige picture, not the wilderness. I wonder if it was simply his choice, after such a draining experience. A recharge may be helpful.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  12. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    He was effectively removed on R1, that's the problem there. It's still been underplayed just how much R1 had to be pulled out of the fire.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I suspect this is true. A shame, though. The combo punch of Edwards abd Gilroy makes for an excellent filmmaker. Maybe they should team up...

Satipo likes this.
  14. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, the combo worked.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    It's not my favourite but is enjoyable. It's not perfect, and to me not that much of a clear winner over the other Disney movies, as it can be nitpicked to death like those can be (and are). I think the third act saves it, throwing spectacle and action at you but I don't think the third act is overall good enough, the geography and flow are a mess and it doesn't fit the rest of the movie that well (eg, the arcs for most characters abruptly stop). It will be fascinating to learn the full story on what was there before vs what was done to save it. There's a great movie in there somewhere. I wonder, had they been able to re-do it entirely or given it more time in the oven, it would have probably more coherent.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    IMO, it’s the leanest and most coherent of the new SW films by a long shot, from a narrative, character and visual perspective. And it just looks a whole lot better than the others, I think. A lot of blockbuster films bake in the oven too long and become overcooked. Rogue One, though having a bunch of crazy ingredients thrown into it, somehow turned out just right in my view.

17. MaciekRS

MaciekRS Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 15, 2016
    R1 is a good film, I like it, but it is not my favorite SW film, TESB, ROTJ, TFA and TLJ i like better. R1 has AWESOME last 40 minutes but I really want more character development scenes in this one.

18. My Palpatine Eyes

My Palpatine Eyes Jedi Knight

Apr 9, 2018
    I adore Rogue One. It's by far my favorite of the Disney movies. My favorite aspects of the movie include the New Hope set up, the quality of the characters, and the courage of the filmmakers to not compromise on making a tragedy. Going in, I was worried the filmmakers would not have the guts to kill off all the characters. I feared Disney would cater to children at the expense of the story's integrity. I'm so glad the scenario I feared was not realized. This film needed to be dark to show the power of the Empire. It did not fail. My favorite characters were Jyn, Saw, Galen, and Krennic. There really wasn't a weak character IMO.

MS1, Dagobahsystem, EHT and 3 others like this.
  19. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I've said if before and I'll say it again - Rogue One is the only SW film released since ANH, TESB and ROTJ that actually feels like a SW film! It goes far beyond just being set in the same era as well.

DarthKreVass, MS1 and mirrorbright like this.
  20. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Just watched RO as after the PT ... and it was an interesting experience. Besides the sudden jump into more realistic dialogue and speaking patterns, it was FASCINATING to watch the Death Star evolve over the course of the films. II, III, RO and IV will be my "Death Star quadralogy" henceforth.

It is still a fantastic film and I love the music as much as anything from the PT.

My Palpatine Eyes likes this.
  21. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Yeah, it's amazing just how much Star Wars flavour Rogue One has. It is a superb companion piece to A New Hope, being a sort of quasi-prequel to it, and fits seamlessly into the OT. How can they have got this so right, and yet not (imo) replicated the feel with the ST?

MS1, Avnar and Bor Mullet like this.
  22. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I'm hearing you... I go back and forth with the ST. I know it's far better than the PT but well below the OT.

I can't remember which thread I mentioned this in but (this sounds ridiculous but I assure you I am being serious) with a few story tweaks RO would have been a great kick off film for the ST!!

23. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Yeah, I just loved RO more than anything that I can put into words. If the Luke/Vader conclusion wasn't so special in ROTJ it could well have a spot in my top 3. Easily the best of the Disney efforts and the high point as I check out after the bitter disappointment of more recent entries.

There are parts in RO that to me are as close to art that StarWars will ever be. That explosion into space from Jedda. The Star Destroyers falling into oblivion and then Cassian and Jyn descending the elevator and knowing what could have been in a different lifetime.

The emotion when Jyn watches her fathers video and then again on the hanger when she pleads for "Papa" reverting back like a time warp to the child and all the years lost from when she last saw him. There is a sadness in her spirit where you know she isn't a rebel but only on a mission of salvation of her father. It's so close to Lukes yet so different. They but give their lives for a very similar purpose. "May the force be with you Rogue One".

Vader bringing the StarDestroyer out of Hyperspace of the escaping fleet. Wow. Pity the FO didn't have that as a battle plan.

Anyway, as you can tell I LOVED RO.

If Gareth could have done TLJ how different things might have been.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Bor Mullet and Avnar like this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    In my view, it's the most beautiful and artistically-sound Star Wars film in the series. Edwards embraces the notion that film is its own medium, and not just a "filmed play." How you communicate through the visual language of film is just as, if not more, important than how you communicate through the script. In that way, he's almost a combination of Lucas and Malick to me. His film is narratively lean and coherent, like Lucas' films, but it also has the artistic naturalism of Malick's films. I never thought it possible that ANH and ESB would be unseated as my favorite Star Wars films, but Edwards (and Gilroy, I must say) did exactly that. Still can't believe it, in a way.

Avnar, MS1 and EHT like this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Even though it ends with everyone dying I still find Rogue One to be one of the most rewatchable Star Wars films. The Last Jedi is better in almost every way IMO but I'll probably end up watching it less than RO. The space battle is everything I've ever wanted from a Star Wars film. The ST is still in dire need of an epic fleet battle.

TCF-1138 , MS1 and EHT like this.