main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Last Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 21, 2017.

1. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Not especially. Luke's not having the dream because he's lamenting never getting married or anything; it's the Force offering him a vision that parallels his decision to abandon the fight, showing him life on Tatooine if he hadn't fought the Empire. So it's not like Camie was "cast" in the dream because there's no other candidate to be his wife, she fits that particular Tatooine-based scenario.

Revanfan1 and jasonfry like this.
  2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I WIN AGAIN, LEWS THERIN.

Dante1120 likes this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    +1 Wheel of Time reference.

Grievousdude and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Yeah, the important part of Luke's dream isn't that he's married and happy on Tatooine. It's that he restless and feels there's something he's supposed to be doing while the Empire rules the galaxy. It wouldn't have worked to show him the Luke of Legends.

5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    To be fair, the Luke of Legends had everything that Canon Luke doesn't, at least for a time.

A thriving Jedi Order
    A loving wife
    A loyal son
    A niece and nephew that were good and loyal Jedi in their own right
    A galactic government that respected and welcomed the Jedi

Yes, he lost some of those things later, but I'd say Legends Luke had everything that Canon Luke wishes he had.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

6. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    But it isn't about him wishing that he had those things. He might or might not; we have no idea whether he regrets not having a wife or anything. The dream is a warning, not an 'If only'.

Revanfan1 and vncredleader like this.
  7. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    As I recall, Luke circa ANH had something of a crush on Camie until he saw that holo of his long lost sister.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

vncredleader likes this.
  8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I love how in Luke's dream that Chandrila and Mon Cala were also destroyed by the first Death Star. This ties into a theme he first started in the Essential Guide to Warfare and continued in Moving Target.

I like that one of the three pillars of the Alliance was Mon Cala. Not because I'm a fan of the world, but because I like that it isn't only human worlds that were the initial pillars.

--Adm. Nick

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm starting to suspect we're instead heading into Goodkind territory.

10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Or maybe have had his wife with red hair. I know Camie doesn't, but it would have been a subtle reference to Legends without it being over the top.

Xander Vos likes this.
  11. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    So far Luke had at least one love interest(aside from Leia,lol), and it was Nikari Kelen.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am on page 25 or so atm and so far so good.

That prologue completely hooked me.

13. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    But the point of the dream is he never left Tatooine. Nakari would not have worked. Neither would have references to Legends.

14. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Revenge of the Sith would have been better if Anakin had a vision of Star Wars Annual #1, where Obi-Wan has two apprentices, Anakin and Vader. No, it doesn't have anything to do with the emotional thrust of the film, but everyone knows references are better than telling a story.

WMIRTUTSF, JediBatman, Vthuil and 2 others like this.
  15. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    From my understanding, Nikari is also the only person Luke had sex with.

Unless something happened on that island Luke was stranded on with Leia for couple of weeks ;)

cwustudent likes this.
  16. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I think point of the dream was that not even Luke knew what it meant exactly as its stated at the end after he woke, aside it was just the Force manifesting itself and basically telling him he cannot escape his destiny and something was coming soon . He was Luke Skywalker not Luke Lars, even in the dream he could not shake his true calling just as he could not in film no matter how hard he tried, he had to do what he was supposed to , no matter how hard he tried or how much he looked to change the past or what he regretted.

I guess its safe to say he had some latent but unacted upon affections for Camie and he must of thought how life would have been with her, with Fixer out of the way somehow, and instead of following through with his actions seen in ANH. Luke is a messed up character in this TLJ book/film, he's like a scrambled egg.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  17. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    What would be even more awesome would be if both Anakin and Vader looked exactly the same in the vision except for different clothes.

WMIRTUTSF likes this.
  18. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Read the book and I don't recall that being in there.

19. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    EU or canon, Luke and Camie just wasn't ever going to happen. She wanted Fixer, and her calling Luke Wormie wasn't intended as a compliment.

In the EU Camie even sold out Luke to the Empire, and even local bully Fixer had the decency to inform Luke of this in person (Came couldn't be bothered).

Honestly, I would think Luke would be dreaming of that incident with Ben over and over again, wondering what happened if he didn't ignite that lightsaber. It's odd that he would have a dream of a life that wasn't even a possibility--even if Luke never became a Jedi and joined the Alliance, Camie would never have gone for him. If Fixer was gone, she'd just find another guy like Fixer.

20. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah I don't why Camie. I suppose its the only female he knew back then and he had a crush on her. Maybe they just wanted to re-canonizer her and others from ANH and found a chance to fit them in. Aside from this Force dream in this book, Camie was only canonized in 2015's Topps cards. This verison of Luke is certainly a strange bird, and he was living in such close proximity to an area powerful in the Dark Side and his own tortured past and inner conflict and fears, who knows what was going on with him.

21. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Camie was the only girl in their group (and the only other woman on Tatooine we ever see on film besides Beru), so referencing her was somewhat easier than, say, introducing Biggs' cousin Gavina Darklighter for a scene. I don't think it was some bigger plan to re-canonize her; she's just dressing to make this "what-if" scenario a little more concrete.

22. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    In the context of Luke's vision, it was pointed out that Camie came to the conclusion that Luke was the better man over time. Whether the Force was just showing him something completely fabricated for his benefit or what would've actually unfolded had the will of the Force been slightly different, we'll never know, but for the scene itself, the bases were covered for making the scenario internally consistent.

Not canonical, so I'm not sure if this really affects what we see in the novelization.

As pointed out, the novelization did explain why Camie would up marrying Luke instead of Fixer in the vision world. I think the reason that Camie was used was, as pointed out, was to make it a relatively familiar face instead of a new character out of left field (she was canonized in the newer YA ANH novel, for example). As to why Luke saw a vision of himself as a career moisture farmer with a wife in the first place instead of something related to old Ben and the saber, it was more relevant to his frame of mind -- e.g. the Jedi had to end and had only made things worse. Seeing a world where he'd never learned about the Jedi, never gotten involved, shows that he and the Jedi did make a difference and make the Galaxy a better place, even if only for a time.

23. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Remember, the Anchorhead crowd were all young (Luke was 19, and Camie would be 19 or 20 if she was the same age actress Koo Stark was when filming). Camie wouldn't be the first woman who, after a tempestuous relationship with a bad boy, grew up some and realized there was more to love about the earnest, stable fellow she'd previously written off.

24. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I dont understand why anyone is stumbling over the dream. Other than pining for Legends to get a nod in Canon. A Mara stand-in wouldnt work there, because the dream was about if Luke at 19 had been where he is right now. If he had rejected the call. Dream Luke's feeling of having a larger purpose, of having left something undone is also our glimpse into what's going on with Luke the Exile. He knows he's left his duty undone, and rejected his destiny and responsibility.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

25. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Its never stated explicitly, but its heavily implied. At least that's how I read it.

cwustudent likes this.