main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Broom Boy: The REAL Luke Skywalker

Discussion in 'Archive: New Films Gusher's Paradise' started by Mungo Baobab , Mar 25, 2018.

1. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Luke Skywalker. A new hope. The Son of Suns. The hero destined to bring the light of the Force back to the galaxy.

Or so we'd thought.

Enter: Temiri Blagg.

Arguably, Rian Johnson's real masterstroke in The Last Jedi was the the revelation that Luke, who since his introduction in ANH, the audience had assumed to be the central heroic figure of the Saga ( Lucas' subsequent narrative shift with The Chosen One / Anakin Skywalker in the PT notwithstanding ), is merely a bit player, a narrative tool in the story of the Saga's real hero, Broom Boy.

Deftly paralleling the Broom Boy / Luke story with the film's secondary sleight of hand, the revelation that Kylo Ren, not Snoke, is the primary antagonist of this story, RJ masterfully pulls back the curtain, revealing to the audience that they'd been rooting for the wrong guy all along.

Luke, like Obi-Wan before him, isn't the hero. His destiny instead is to inspire our real hero, Temiri Blagg.

The saga begins here.

TK327, 11-4D, EHT and 4 others like this.
  2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    If I had to guess, the Benioff/Weiss series will be about Blagg’s parents, who are no doubt super powerful and important in the grand scheme of things, maybe even characters we know and love (step right up, Ric Olie) while Johnson’s trilogy will be about his adventures as the Jedi who finally restores the Order and destroys the Dark Side for good.

3. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    My guess? Broom Boy doesn’t have the Force, the broom does. The Broom is sentient and flew into Broom Boys hand on its own free will.
    Also you can see The Broom in the OT in the background. Obi-Wan Kenobi kept The Broom in the same lockbox as Anakin’s lightsaber. He kept it locked away because he knew that the galaxy wasn’t prepared for a sentient broom with Force powers.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I really think the future of Star Wars will be in his hands. I will be very interested to see where Rian takes the character over his next trilogy. Disney is really making it their own franchise now.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  5. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    They should start replacing the lightsaber toys in stores by brooms, if you ask me.

6. Draninus

Draninus Jedi Knight

Oct 21, 2014
    It's possible that his broom is actually a lightsaber. Henceforth it shall be known as the....broomsaber.

The broomsaber rules all.

7. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Also, I think that lightsabers are a dangerous weapon and people shouldn’t be playing around with it. Someone might accidentally kill their nephew with one of those things. It would be wiser to replace them with broomsabers as you suggested - it's a broom but not really a broom. I think that’s the ultimate brilliance of Rian Johnson’s vision with this franchise.

Pensivia and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  8. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Yes. Broom Boy is the best fictional character we've seen in decades. The fact that no merchandise with him was released is sheer lunacy that will cost Dinsey hundreds of billions.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  9. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I can't wait to give my son his first broom!

MarcJordan and Pensivia like this.
  10. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I wish Broom Boy was my son!

11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    It's a hard knock life. For us.
    It's a hard knock life. For us!

Sted duh duh... oh I don't know the words.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That WOULD subvert expectations.

13. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Some thought Luke Skywalker was what they wanted, but Rian showed us Broom Boy is what we really need!

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Correct. Luke looking toward twin suns is not a classic image, which is why it is relegated to being multiple scenes removed from a closing shot. If we are to truly be inspired the only way to close out a film is with Broom Boy.

guittarjedi likes this.