main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn Alliances Book - Summer 2018

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Oct 6, 2017.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    To build on my earlier post, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor ironically builds on why Legends Thrawn probably thought Legends Luke wasn't up to the task of fighting the Vong.

Thrawn: Luke was asking for a war crimes investigation into himself after the Battle of Mindor?! He did what he had to do, but then he wimped out and resigned his generalship?! This self-pitying moper isn't who we need to defend the galaxy from the Vong, time to rebuild the Empire.

Which probably confounded Thrawn all the more once Luke was stopping his plans left and right circa Thrawn Trilogy.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Jedi Ben and Vialco like this.
  2. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Hmm that is a good analogy. I've compared him to Zemo myself, at the end of the day for all the noble intentions and personal code...it's still about ultimately setting up an authoritatian society.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think there was a mass of great arrogance in Thrawn who only believed he could be the one to defeat the Yuuzhan Vong. Also, the disarmament of the New Republic was already full in force as we saw with the fact battle cruisers were ferrying freight ala Star Trek in HTE.

I admit, it probably would have been a hard sell to begin with, "By the way, we need you to increase the military size of the New Republic by....ten times. Honestly, a hundred might not be unreasonable. Something genocidal would also be awesome. The Death Star is very unwieldy but maybe something like the Sun Cru...hello? Hello?"

4. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Even if Thrawn got Luke on board, there's no guarantee the Republic would even listen to Luke. I remember in the beginning of Dark Empire 2 Luke was practically shouting at the Republic not to attack Byss because it's way out of their league, and they gleefully ignore him and attack anyway to disastrous consequences.

And that's not going into the fact that Luke destroys weapons like the Galaxy Gun which Luke himself later realized would have been useful against the Yuuzhan Vong (this quote from Luke himself was in one of the reference guides). I can see Thrawn sadly shaking his head while Luke wastes time on diplomacy, etc.

Thrawn: Ok, with these Spaarti clones, we will now have an army to defeat the Vong!
    Luke: I won't make the old Jedi order's mistake, we do not use clones as slaves. These clones are free men--you're all free to go.
    Thrawn: Whose side are you on??

Valin__Kenobi, Vialco and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Mind you, Luke has NO REASON to believe the Vong are coming and Thrawn never told anyone.

The one major blindspot of his so-called genius.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    "I'm on hold, aren't I? Again."

7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    A smart guy like Thrawn would have kept evidence etc for such an occasion. And Luke might actually have believed him. He ran into a survivor of the early Vong wars back in the Marvel comics (Riders in the Void). This is Legends Luke we're talking about, not the "Leave me alone, it's not my problem" canon Luke.

Thrawn's weakness is that he never told anyone (mainly due to in real life Zahn retconning this idea into his motivation late). It's not something we ever got a proper explanation for in Legends, Rebels and canon Thrawn's contempt of Jedi we see is probably the closest explanation we'll get.

8. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    Back in the day, not even Thrawn knew they were coming...
    Part of the problem with an evolving storyline that kept adding new content in different time lines. So much scope for contradiction / retconning...
    I hope new canon fares better.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

9. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I can hear you, can you hear me?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Sinrebirth likes this.
  10. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Skywalker? Pasty guy, whines about wanting to pick up power converters...?

:p

Revanfan1, Sinrebirth and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Look, I can't hold forever, if you get him, tell him Thrawn has an urgent message for him. About his father.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Hello, this is Luke Skywalker's dark side nephew. He can't come to the comlink now (muffled screams heard in background) but if you leave your name and holonet address, I'll come eliminate you as soon as I can. Have a nice day. :kylo:

Unfortunately Luke's answering message was sliced with the above line in both Legends and canon.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Revanfan1, Jedi Ben and PCCViking like this.
  13. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    I wonder if we will see the 501st Legion and/or Ahsoka in the flashbacks. Maybe she will learn the Marg Sabl maneuver from Thrawn himself ;)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  14. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I think Zahn (along with Kathy Tyers, Michael A. Stackpole, Dave Wolverton and Paul and Hollace Davids) actually wrote Luke post-ROTJ very well. LS&TSOM felt off to me as a Star Wars book and I'm often reluctant to include it in any future Legends reading. The Dark Empire concept was cool but at the same time it could've been better if it hadn't been written in the early-90s - late 2000s after we had the 4-9 ABY timeline thought out definitely. Jedi Academy trilogy onward just wrote Luke as an arse (Black Fleet Crisis being one of the worst offenders - that felt off to me despite loving the Fifth Fleet) until Zahn got him again in Hand of Thrawn.

15. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I'm curious how he'll go writing Clone Wars Anakin. There's some potential for it to be like the more classic novels, with a Jedi hero involved in some wild adventure.

16. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I always had problems to see this version of Vader as the same character as what he became later on.

Wonder how everyone else reconciled this depiction with the later stuff.

17. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader by Ryder Windham said this depiction was Vader having his aggression influenced by the nearby Kaiburr crystal.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  18. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Now that I think about it, maybe the Vong is too strong a threat to combat. They nearly decimated the New Republic with their exotic biotechnology and I don't know if watering them down just for the sake of Thrawn and Vader squashing them, is fair to their character. Maybe it would be better if it were the Ss-ruuvi, Yevetha, Nagai, Killiks or some new threat. They would be easier to stop then the Vong.

kalzeth likes this.
  19. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Maybe this is the Snoke prequel novel we've all been waiting for! Anakin and Thrawn give Snoke his injuries, and he swears vengeance in... about 50 years time. :p

kalzeth and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    It’s interesting that they went to Batuu, which is where the new Star Wars land at Disney parks will take place. Talk about synergy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Yeah I heard about this. So, will we see Thrawn at the new Disneyland expansion? ;)

22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Hopefully, he'll say the expansion is artistically done. :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I want to see Batuu inhabited by anthropomorphic mice, dog-like creatures, and of course anthropomorphic ducks. We can't forget those ducks. The richest duck in the world, the superhero who is the terror that flaps in the night, and those 3 kid ducks who look alike.

Thrawn will find a massive asset in discovering that learning about an enemy from the Junior Woodchuck Guidebook is far easier and superior than trying to learn about them from their art. :p

24. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    What? In Legends he admitted to base delta zeroing a world when he couldn't win.

Pretty consistent portrayal with Zahn's portrayal.

He prefers a Gul Dukat approach when possible but will practically embrace the Weyoun approach when he's losing.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Darth Caliban and Jedi Ben like this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Oben is described as "razed" and "levelled" but it's safe to say it wasn't reduced to a sea of molten lava at least - because its ruler, Sk'ar, was waiting in his headquarters after the devastation, when the Imperials showed up, to surrender and offer his services to the Empire:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bentilais_san_Sk'ar

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.