main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Only A Perfect Leader Can Have A Perfect Plan: Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo

Discussion in 'Archive: New Films Gusher's Paradise' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Mar 24, 2018.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If there is one thing everyone admits about TLJ it is that Holdo's leadership is devoid of any flaws.

The film offers a brilliant metaphor when it shows Leia, Admiral Ackbar and the rest of the Rebel leadership core being literally SUCKED out of the franchise because they literally sucked as inspirational leaders, consistently unable to ever evoke a sense of fidelity or hope in the troops they led. As she happened to be a fan favorite character, for reasons which escape any reasonable person, Leia was allowed back into the film but only as a secondary voice to inform us all that Vice Admiral Holdo is the most brilliant leader the protagonists have ever had the honor to serve under in the Star Wars films.

The Force Awakens gave us a portrayal of Poe Dameron as a prideful, arrogant and insubordinate man who had absolutely zero respect for the so-called "authority" of Leia Organa and continually refused to risk his life for the missions she assigned to him, such as retrieving a map to Luke Skywalker or directly attacking Star Killer Base. In yet another of Rian Johnson's brilliant and flawless script choices, Poe finally finds himself confronted with female leadership in order to provoke growth in his character. Only in the third act of The Last Jedi is Poe Dameron finally able to receive leadership from a female in authority over him. Such is the brilliance of Holdo's planning and leadership.

Rian Johnson brilliantly delighted us by Subverting Audience ExpectationsTM. Inspirational speeches may be great for Braveheart or Gladiator or actual militaries or any group of people who could really use a morale boost and something to believe in during a crisis... but Vice Admiral Holdo knows better. As you know, she cannot trust anyone. This is an important plot point. The film opens with Lieutenant Kaydel Ko Connix being entrusted with overseeing the evacuation of the base on D'Qar. This is to set up how she clearly cannot be trusted to be informed of the plan that will bring the evacuation to fruition. It is Connix's own mental blindness that leads her from being trusted with guiding the evacuation of her team off of D'Qar to feeling so outside of communication with her leadership that she willingly takes part in a mutiny. Totally her own fault.

The flawless characterization of Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo presents us with a leader so capable of inspiring loyalty and a sense of security in her troops that she feels secure in a policy of zero transparency to any panicking members of their ranks. Only she could understand that, when asked by her followers, "Just tell us there is a plan" that she could not answer that question without risking the plan. Even a calming, securing flat reply of "I promise you there is a plan" would somehow immediately inform any possible spies of the precise details of the plan.

Unrivaled insight. Inspiring loyalty. Holding teams together during a crisis. The plan was flawless because it was led by a flawless leader.

In this thread we will continually repeat the perfection of Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo's plan and reaffirm how there was not possibly any way her character could possibly have been improved upon or written better.

TK327, panki, Dagobahsystem and 7 others like this.
  2. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    She's full of feminine energy. No other character has this much of feminine energy like Holdo. I think Rian Johnson really did crack the formula for writing Real Women, and as a female fan who wasn't born with as much feminine energy (tragedy of my life), I greatly admire Holdo and I want to be like her, and I'm now trying to adopt her feminine communication skills, by not talking to half the people I'm supervising.

3. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Tee hee!...you go first...no you!...you go...okay, I'll go...May the Force be with you

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I post here not to bury Holdo, but to praise her.

5. Tremblingblustar

Tremblingblustar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 14, 2018
    She's literally my hero!

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That was my favorite part. She demonstrated her mastery of both feminine and masculine leadership skills, shown by her compassionate tolerance of Poe's insubordination, and her "strong silent type" refusal to let him in on the plan. Exceptional!

La Calavera, panki and Sarge like this.
  7. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I followed the Holdo management style at my workplace to help grow the culture and leadership qualities of the group.

Four people resigned...which is great. Just perfect. They'll now go out into the world and spread the Holdo Model out into society at large.

You're welcome.

8. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    What I love most is how respected she’s become by male fans. She’s iconic already.

She’s held to a similar standard of other iconic on screen acerbic bosses in offices or militaries, which is a remarkable achievement for Dern considering she doesn’t seem to go to quite the same lengths as some of her contemporaries that she’s been compared to online.

Sure, she’s not the hard ass Gunnery Sergeant Hartman-type (Full Metal Jacket), and yeah, she doesn’t quite rock the boat as swiftly as Gregory Peck initially did as General Frank Savage did early on: berating the guards for not checking his identification, demoting a sergeant to private for not wearing his uniform, and closing the bar till further notice, but she’s comparable in the eyes of many and that speaks to Dern’s performance. It’s true she’s not the jerk that Gordon Gekko, Mark Zuckerberg, Nathan Jessup were on screen but she does decide not to provide military info when verbal demanded by a male subordinate who’s out of line so she was almost there and that was close enough thanks to Dern’s amazing performance which some seem to liken to the iconic Nurse Ratchet who murdered patients.

Bravo to Johnson and especially Dern for building such an iconic and talked about boss figure despite not really doing anything all that controversial as far as film bosses go and then shocking the world to show that she wasn’t actually full Nurse Ratchet mode as much as some thought by willingly sacrificing herself to help the Resistance and take out a huge section of the Supremacy!

Great acting!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My wife told our daughter that Holdo demonstrates why neither of them deserve to be respected. I agree with her. My wife and daughter do not deserve to be respected in light of Holdo's brilliantly written embodiment of femininity.

Instead of a black hooded sweatshirt my wife understands she needs to dress like she was just interrupted from her role as a bridesmaid and stop trying to communicate with the people she is responsible for.

I am grateful for Holdo. There have never been women in films before. Just failures with female genes. I think the women in my house will only benefit from her example. I know I certainly do not need to know what my wife is thinking or planning.

Thank you, Rian Johnson, for the first ever proper female role model. And a great example to anyone in a position of leadership. Under her watch, everyone she was responsible for remained calm, stayed on mission, never wavered and, most importantly, all made it to their destination alive.

10. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I happen to also think Holdo and Poe embody different leadership problems worthy of greater analysis and discussion and that neither character was shown at their prolonged best (Battle of Chyron probably was her at her best and Poe has also had better days) but I love the discussions around leadership that have occurred based on their dynamic. I think fans are asking the kinds of questions Johnson would have hoped they would be from the dynamic.

I sincerely don’t think she deserves to be lumped in with military leaders or bosses who did far worse than simply not tell a subordinate privileged info though. Maybe I’ve just watched soooo many movies with authoritative bosses who regularly say things about “that’s classified” or “it’s need to know and you don’t need to know” — which is interestingly a line Johnson gave to Poe perhaps to be that counterpoint and show how easy it is to behave almost similarly without realizing it — but I just didn’t find her out of line. She’s the boss. If she thinks something’s is classified, to me, that’s her perogative. Wouldn’t make me like her but it wouldn’t seem uncommon from an Admiral. The idea of Poe saying “It’s need to know and she doesn’t” is also something Johnson also did a little with Rey holding a saber above an unarmed Luke while she criticized him for holding a saber over an unarmed Ben. He seems to like that.

I watched TLJ on Blu-Ray earlier again today with the commentary on for the first time and noticed that much of her bridge crew seemed very calm and happily at work until Poe came in and undermined her authority in front of them. At that point they almost seemed to be looking at him as though he was unhinged. I hadn’t noticed it until today, and also checked the visual dictionary more, but she definitely seemed to have some fans from her own ship that came on board beyond D’acy. It’s just that she had inherited Leia’s crew and within that group Poe was well-liked by a sizable contingent who likely saw him as more representative of Leia and one of them than her. I found it interesting how Holdo tried to evoke Leia at times probably for that reason.

The way it seemed to play out to me looking more at the background was that each of Poe and Holdo had roughly similar crews that were very loyal to them and then the vast majority of the crew beyond those two groups didn’t really seem to have skin in the game and were willing to follow whomever was in charge.

Like a lot of Johnson’s storytelling, everybody seems to crack under the pressure before rising in some way later. We see them all make bad choices but also some strong ones.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    If you are going to misuse the thread by discussing non-existent "problems" we will have to ban you. Please use this new forum appropriately by acknowledging that every aspect of The Last Jedi was crafted perfectly without any possible room for improvement and not a single choice deserving to be reconsidered.

12. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    What do you think they have planned for Holdo in Episode IX?

13. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Holdo teaches a new generation of kids the word flyboy.

She also demonstrates for us when people should be asked to leave the room.

Her halo is so bright she's left blinking and trying to see around it.

cerealbox likes this.