main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion NEVERMIND THE FILMS SUCK!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: New Films Gusher's Paradise' started by Darth Chiznuk , Apr 1, 2018.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Seriously...

2. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    :_|:_|:_|:_|:_|:_|:_|:_|

It was fun while it lasted....

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    How long do you plan these jokes?

Ridley Solo likes this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Boy, somebody sure turned into a pumpkin.

[​IMG]

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    His Disney check did not arrive on time.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  6. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    Rian Johnson is the worst. THE WORST!!!

Mostly Handless likes this.
  7. Herald of Mandos

Herald of Mandos Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 1, 2018
    So you have gone over to the Haters!:mad:

That's it!

I'm leaving.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    JJ Abrams started the end of Star Wars. Let’s be honest. It all started to go down hill after that.

9. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    MY EYES ARE BLEEDING!

10. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    It's quicker, easier, more seductive...

11. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
  12. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Well, that was a humorous and interesting day exploring the definition of sarcastic straw men questions and that the film is neither perfect not abysmal.

I think everyone learned a valuable lesson. The question a friend of mine was wondering is if the reverse of the lessons we all learned for what would be considered “gushing” can now be applied in the sanctuary thread to “bash” the movie. Not asking for me. Asking for a friend. Please don’t ban me. It’s just a question on a discussion forum.

In other words, can people go into the Sanctuary and write the reverse of yesterday’s concepts:

This film was the worst thing in the history of film and ruined my childhood and all of Star Wars and I’m here now because it features many of the same criticisms of other films in the saga that don’t bother me as much in the other films I grew up with, didn’t match my head canon on how I would have approached Luke, or any of my lineage theories, doesn’t share my political perspectives, and because I enjoy sarcasm a great deal. This combination has lead me to watching 10 hours of YouTube criticism and angry ranting videos on things that never bothered me on the first or second viewing but they arm me with more angles to attack from and this film’s divisiveness within the community and its Rotten Tomatoes % audience score have provided me with the confidence that 53% of all people in the entire world who saw this movie see it as I do — as half star worst movie ever failure — and that the new Lucasfilm hires must be replaced immediately.”

Again, I have no intention of doing the reverse of what we all did for laughs yesterday (I spend enough time on actual discussion as it is) but since that could technically be considered “bashing” by yesterday’s definition of what “gushing” was... is that going to be allowed? Asking for my friend and for anyone else who might think so in order to ensure that nobody gets banned unnecessarily.

Also hoping I don’t get banned for even asking the question.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    jaqen and Mostly Handless like this.
  13. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Years. Decades.

14. Tremblingblustar

Tremblingblustar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 14, 2018
    Nobody talks about the collected works of Mary-Kate and Ashley in such a disrespectful manner!!!

15. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    There's always one. Isn't there?

16. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Spoke with my friend and advised that they not post anything in the sanctuary. My advice is that it would likely result in a ban. If i could edit that question further I would but I can’t now. So, I wouldn’t advise the reverse of what we were doing gusher style yesterday here. It was just for April Fool’s laughs.

17. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Well I had fun. Nice for everyone to take a breath and have a laugh.

In truth that should be the norm across all boards, without the need to protect hurt feelings. Reality doesn't really work that way though.

I just hope this last 24 hrs was a window into the fact we can all have a laugh together still, and yes some dissenters out there actually do have a sense of humour about all this. [face_party]

18. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Okay, can we get on with things now?

Maybe we got lucky and some the hater-trolls bought it and left.

19. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    We can only hope....Star Wars isn't fun when it becomes a constant argument...:oops:

20. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Easy for you to say but I’ve (anecdote about unrivaled investment in Star Wars and Luke’s post ROTJ life goes here) and because of Johnson I can no longer (dramatic consequence goes here) because to me Luke is now (insult related to Luke goes here) based on his life having so many setbacks. Now if Rey had been (lineage tie-in goes here) then maybe I could have forgiven it a little more but because I don’t know her parents and because she had a hard life because of those parents I can’t understand her (statement related to her ability followed by interest level in her and the trilogy goes here). Also, because I know it’s not cool to talk about being opposed to certain messages in the film I’ll just say (put dog whistle statement related to the aspect of political messaging that most outraged here) and that it has no place in a Star Wars movie.

:p

Strongbow and Ridley Solo like this.
  21. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I’m done here, so see y’all later. I used to come here to escape and talk about what I love, Star Wars. This April fools “joke” was unacceptable. Bye.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm sorry you feel that way. I think we all take things too seriously sometimes so yesterday was an opportunity to poke fun at ourselves. You might think we were singling out the "haters" but if you look at the content of the threads you'll see that's definitely not the case. Hell, we even made fun of ourselves in the Rian Johnson thread.

I hope you change your mind. It was just a bit of fun. :)

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    To be honest this board would not be what it is without the dissenters, which make debates interesting.

24. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    It was amusing on some level, but it WAS a bit over the top, IMO. But my butt is not hurt. ;)
    Dissenting is one thing, but I admit the boards have been way less fun for me lately. I'm tired ar arguing against false narratives, like the idea that "fans" hate this movie. Or simple factual details like the idea that Luke wen to Kylo's hut intent on murdering him. That's not debate. That's just nonsense.

I can enjoy the Reylo debates more, though I find the idea of a no-kidding full on Reylo romance disgusting, and bother me at a deep fundamental level.

Ridley Solo and Mostly Handless like this.
  25. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    The adjustment from the Sanctuary to the actual debate threads can be difficult for some and that's what everything but the sanctuary really is: A debate/discussion thread. Obviously, the reverse is also true. It's easy to venture in there out of curiosity and take issue to a false claim and end up in trouble so I don't advise it.

To be clear there is no gusher echo chamber equivalent so those in favor of TLJ are accustomed to hearing criticism in all threads whereas those venturing from the Sanctuary don't seem to be as accustomed to hearing praise for the film. This can lead to some adjustment and warnings as groups (from people who are following each other?) sort of gang together around various topics. It's actually kind of fascinating to see how these unique cultural things occur within online communities.

The list what you love thread is less discussion-based and more a bullet point list of favorite scenes. I suppose it could be co-opted into more of a gusher discussion thread with some humor but it's harder to be sarcastic about anything you're enjoying (The tendency unfortunately becomes to be sarcastic about the people who hate the film instead which is problematic) so anyone who enjoys that Reddit-style snark sort of gravitates toward the Sanctuary for the lolz and likes. I hung out in there for a bit, despite enjoying the film, and was tempted to sarcastically bash the movie because sometimes it's fun to just lay on the snark thick. I think that's part of its Dark Side appeal to be honest. Even for people who aren't anywhere near as angry as some within the thread are.

The fact that we've had 3 months of intense discussion and less than 5 people felt they could share anything in the olive branch thread about a counter-argument they heard from the other side that made them think is actually a little disheartening though. I was optimistic there might be some bridges built and some solid anecdotes shared but many are entrenched.

I agree that the lack of activity is a little surprising and curious though. Some of my images, or posts that I directly copied from here to the Star Wars Reddit were conversely seen by more than a quarter of a million people, or upvoted to end up in the top 60 of all Reddited items over 24 hour periods over that span. Here... they received 3 likes. I can't figure out why the activity overall is so much lower at the moment here on the forums. 187 posters rated TLJ 5 out of 5 (highest rating) and then many of them seemingly bolted during the peak of the civil war between hate/love of the film was raging. I remember many "I'm leaving because this place doesn't seem to love new Star Wars" type posts, which I found disheartening. I really expected to see more of those people return once the new rules went into place which kept the extreme hate better isolated to one thread. Some have but not to the extent I expected.

Ridley Solo and Mostly Handless like this.