main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    [​IMG]

In other news, I have found a guy in my local X-Wing group that can print custom cards. He's printing me out alt-arts I designed for Intensity:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Next, I want him to print me up a truly custom card: Whistler. I'm thinking "When you acquire a target lock, you may also assign yourself a focus token." Is syngerizes REALLY well with Corran and FCS, and harkens to Whistler's investigative software helping him offer analysis and tactical advice when studying a target.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    There's no hate; they just seem to wilfully exist in an echo chamber :p

3. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Sounds like your normal Internet user.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The image on the new Fully Operational page is cracking me up.

[​IMG]
    "A trap? Really? Oh puh-leez. Let me tell you a thing or two about traps while you tuck in your shirt, good fellow..."

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The Order 66 Podcast episode on Dawn of Rebellion is a really good listen for explaining the book, why some things didn't get stats (Lasat and bo-rifles because they're, as far as the galaxy knows, gone; the Rogue One heroes because of space) and why somethings got the stats they did (the U-Wing is SIL 4 intentionally; the prototype B-Wing, so people could have an idea of prototypical weapons and/or sneakily port over Strikeforce: Shantipole).

But the most interesting insight I got was why there was so much WEG stuff in Rebels. Turns out, it had nothing to do with Filoni. He knew almost nothing about the WEG stuff (which makes sense; he didn't write it, so he couldn't shoehorn it in cough Ashoka Tano cough) at all - it was Sam Witwer, massive roleplaying nurd and voice of Darth Maul, who would constantly be in Filoni's office talking about how the WEG stuff would fit.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Actually, that is a little surprising - at Celebration, Filoni indicated that he scoured the EU material for everything about the Mandalorians when they were going to do the first Clone Wars cartoon episode set on Mandalore. But whomever was responsible, I appreciate them making my job easier.

I fully understand why Lasat didn't appear, but I would've preferred some of the new Rogue One planets rather than retreads of Alderaan and Lothal.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Space is the only answer they can give. :D Though they do explain why Scarif is listed as a location for the Death Star - there wasn't much else they could add for it.

They did confirm a lot of details came from the R1VD though.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    They didn't provide stats and information on Raddus or the Profundity. Hence my displeasure. :p

Incidentally, the class name and back history for the Hammerhead corvette is different from the canon Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Vehicles that comes out tomorrow. Further proof that FFG isn't canon and doesn't need to coordinate with canon sources.

--Adm. Nick

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wookiepedia can't hear you, Nick, because their fingers are in their ears and they're saying "lalala" over and over.

10. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I know. They want to fill the commanders list in each battle with every man with a rank, rather then reduce it to overall theatre commanders.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If you look at the greatest naval battle, won of course by the greatest navy in history, it just lists Nelson and Collingwood rather than the captains of every first rate ship of the line. They could stand to do the same...

12. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, if only that were true. Maybe then we'd actually see classic Bothans mentioned again in the game...
    It probably was a case of either not having access to the canon source, or not thinking there was any explanation - but I doubt we'll ever see that information repeated again.

Plus, Lothal still doesn't have any data. Look, either (a) make something up if you're allowed or (b) pull the fluff from all future planet descriptions if you're not. Inconsistency is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The Bothan thing is a non-event. It was just for the German AOR book. Reprints in English still contain Bothans.

14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm thinking more of their non-appearance in anything recent. I don't expect the text of any of the published books to be changed unless there's a completely new edition. Besides, Germany deserves to have their RPG books mutilated; I still haven't forgiven them for the ridiculous Germany Sourcebook for Shadowrun.

I should be picking up the new AOR classbook before game on Friday.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't think it's a conspicuous choice. But you may be right.

16. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Or that the Story Group has the same flaws of not catching every possible contradiction that's always existed...

WebLurker likes this.
  17. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Nah, FFG isn't canon to Canon.

TheRedBlade and WebLurker like this.
  18. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Ooooh another Royal Navy enthusiast! :D We differ in eras though. I'm more into WWI and WWII periods, and have only a superficial knowledge about the sailing ship era. But I think I may be developing an interest in Nelson's navy.

... I realize this is a FFG thread. Sorry for the interruption. Please continue. :p

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    TheRedBlade and Ender Sai like this.
  19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It wouldn't matter for an RPG though.

20. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the first classification for the Resistance Bombers come from the FFG X-Wing Game just to be proven inaccurate (or incomplete)?

Noash_Retrac likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The age of sail is the height of the Navy's prowess and power, and when you read about Nelson as a commander and Trafalgar as a battle it's heaven. Going to see the Victory in Portsmouth completes it. There are some who think the USN is the greatest navy ever. It's cute, but wrong. RN all the way!

Again, though, it wouldn't matter. FFG do not produce canon. If they designate the Resistance bomber as one thing, and the VD/ICS books call it something else, a giant shrug of indifference ought follow.

Nick, I feel this needs to be a locked, single post sticky in Lit. "FFG don't produce canon. There's no discussion thread here because there's no discussion."

22. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    You must be misunderstanding me. I was giving another example as to why FFG is NOT a source of canon...

Ender Sai likes this.
  23. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    That's like saying you're a fan of Star Trek, but only of Voyager. You're skipping over the best parts!

24. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    That's like saying you are a fan of the Original Series, Next Gen, DS9 and Voyager but not Enterprise or Discovery as well. Enterprise was slow at first but when you get to Season 4, the claws come out and, aside from the ending I place as a roleplaying hologame based on true events and not what actually happens, it's enjoyable. Discovery was awesome and if people have patience, the explanations for the visual differences will become clearer in Season 2 onwards.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm not sure what any of that means, but the Royal Navy > all others.