main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn Alliances Book - Summer 2018

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Oct 6, 2017.

1. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I… didn’t even manage to finish the first novel.
    Like you I’m more used to him as a villain, and that seems to be the only version of him I like. I liked him in TTT, and I liked him in Rebels.

But to be fair, since he is now going to be paired with Vader, maybe we’ll get to see him be more ruthless and ultimately more entertaining. I hope.

2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    It's true that the Batonn reference is there to establish Thrawn's bad-guy bona-fides - I simply question the degree to which we can confidently know what Filoni's "intentions" were for the then-vague reference, and the inference that Zahn subsequently, intentionally acted contrary to those intentions. It would hardly be the first time in Star Wars history that assumptions were made about a backstory, only to have those assumptions challenged when the backstory was actually fleshed out.

Vthuil and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Zahn himself said he had no input on Thrawns Rebels writing. Batonn being Pryces fault only appears in Zahn material. We have absolutely no evidence this is what Filoni intended, and no reason to think filonis intention isn't exactly what it says in his episode--Thrawn wiping out Batonn civilians.

If you ask filoni now, he might say pryce being the villain was always the plan, but this could easily be retconning real life the way Lucas once said he always planned on Vader being lukes dad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    fett 4 and Vialco like this.
  4. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I don't dispute that the dialogue in the episode does lead one to guess that Thrawn had a role in the civilian deaths at Batonn. I'm simply counseling against putting too much weight into speculations about what anybody "intended" when there is no clear statement from anyone about what actually was "intended." The debunked conspiracy theory about Rian Johnson subverting JJ Abrams' "plans" for Rey and Snoke is a recent example of the inherent danger of that sort of thing.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  5. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    What conspiracy theory was this and how was it debunked?

What I had always heard was that there never were plans for Rey and Snoke by Abrams or Kennedy, which means Rian had nothing to subvert to begin with, and that this itself was in fact was the reason for a lot of fans' anger (i.e. the story that JJ Abrams has a "mystery box" with nothing in it is justified).

6. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I'll admit that my initial impression of the Batonn line in Rebels was that it was the canon version of the glassing he recounts in TTT. But I was ok with the way it was portrayed in Thrawn.

I never got the impression that Thrawn cared about civilians because he was particularly heroic, he just sees them as resources for the imperial war machine that he prefers not to waste if nessecary. Which is basically what he tells Nightswan.

7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Honestly, I'm not sure Thrawn even cares about his people. Not really. He tells himself that and probably genuinely believes it so he can justify in his own mind his atrocities, but at some point he's just pushing the Empire's agenda because he is used to it etc. Converting Ezra to the dark side and bringing him to Palpatine is so far removed from helping Thrawn's people in any way--The way Vader's actions long since stopped being about saving Padme.

8. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm thinking specifically of the belief that Abrams actually had a grand plan for Rey's parents and Snoke's eventual defeat in Episode 9, but Johnson somehow "went rogue" and took the story in a different direction. Much like this Batonn thing, that theory also claimed that there was evidence on-screen to deduce the original intent, but said "intent" was later subverted by another creator. Which was nonsense. Again, all I'm trying to say is, we should be careful assuming we know what Filoni's "intentions" were - and I've worked way harder to make that point than the point actually deserved, so I'll rest there and let more interesting discussions take precedence.

Vthuil, kalzeth and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  9. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    He never tried to convert Ezra to the Dark Side....he likely doesn't even know what the Dark Side is.

10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Thrawn knows everything, including the Dark Side. You see, he's studied Sith art. ;)
    Simon Pegg has now confirmed that JJ did indeed have a Rey parents plan: http://ew.com/movies/2018/04/04/star-wars-simon-pegg-jj-abrams-rey-parents/

11. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    ....regardless, the impression I got was that Thrawn taking Ezra captive wasn't his idea. If the Senate gives you an order...you damn way obey or face a bolt of lightning to the bollock.

Vialco likes this.
  12. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    The Pegg article is straight-up clickbait. What he actually says is that ideas were being "chucked around," then he admits he doesn't really know if Abrams had a plan or not. EW should stick to Breznican for its Star Wars reporting.

CaptainPeabody likes this.
  13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    JJ: I tried to write Rey a meaningful parentage...

Yoda: Do. Or do not. There is no try.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  14. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    If JJ has a plan for her parentage plan other than Rey Random He would’ve put it in TFA or signed on for the whole trilogy. Considered options is called development which is exactly what Pegg actually states if you read past the clickbait title.

Instead he purposely left it open and was really happy with the path that RJ went even Sharing that sentiment. There’s a bunch of interviews in the lead up to TFA when asked about the nature of the force and his take was much the same as Rian - you don’t have to belong to one of three/four big families to have a major role in these stories.

This is just more of the same from people expecting to ride in and “fix” the “mistakes” of RJ.

15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    The problem is since the OT they've pretty much established that the Force does run in families and is a genetic thing. Rey's a mudblood, to use a Harry Potter term.

Hmm, they'll top it all off by showing what Rey's parents were drinking in their drunkenness--fermented midichlorian juice. ;)

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yes, but not all Force-sensitives come from Force-sensitive families, otherwise there wouldn't have been nearly as many Jedi in the PT, since the Jedi don't go for procreation. Most of the Jedi then were from non-FS families. So yes, the OT does establish the Force running in families and being genetic, but it's not restricted to genetics, either. I'd wager that there are millions of FS children and even adults around the galaxy during the ST that didn't come from FS lineages and thus had no idea of their own abilities (just like Rey).

17. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Despicable mudbloods. It's time for the Supreme Leader to wipe them out. All of them. Oh wait, he already asked mudblood Rey to join him and might even be crushing on her, he's wavered from the cause...

(The Knights of Ren turn on Kylo and kill him, ending his threat for good).

Revanfan1 and Vialco like this.
  18. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    So at first I did not know you meant Ren as the SL, thank god you were cause the alternative is.......[face_sick][face_sick][face_sick]

sidv88 likes this.
  19. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    [​IMG]

WMIRTUTSF, Revanfan1, sidv88 and 2 others like this.
  20. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Thanks pal, I didn't need to sleep anyways

21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Now that Rey as a mudblood is established, the entire dynamics of the canon Jedi Academy falls into place. Luke is clueless Dumbledore, Ben Solo was Draco Malfoy, the Knights of Ren were House Slytherin, and the ones who refused to join and were killed were House Gryffindor.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  22. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    mudbloods ey?

Have fun rotting in Azkaban you racist cretins.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    That's where the Knights of Ren have been all this time??

24. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    That's illogical, how could they be in Azkaban and yet attack the World Cup?

Get your head out of the sand, Minister Fudge.

25. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Umm, we are now completely off topic.

Sinrebirth likes this.