main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles - DK Book by Landry Q. Walker

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Feb 21, 2018.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The problem is - the ones in the Battle of Atollon are identical. And I'm pretty sure that the Quasar-Fire collision (using the 340m Quasar-Fire) makes it vastly bigger than Heir to the Jedi's 600m Immobilizer-class.

It might be the only prototype- but the differences between the prototype and the ships seen in the Battle of Atollon are invisible.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Are the images all screenshots / photos, a mixture of live action and animated shots? (Not that it makes much difference as long as we're not looking at ships unique to TCW / Rebels as opposed to the "stylized" things like small-winged TIEs or low-detail ISDs etc., just curious -- this mix could work a lot better for an all-tech reference than it does for character-oriented guides.)

3. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Mix between live action and animated, depending on the ship.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It is also the genus name for most hammerhead sharks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphyrna

To paraphrase Draco in Dragonheart:

"So, instead of calling it "hammerhead" in your tongue, you'll call it "hammerhead" in some other tongue?"

:)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  5. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    Anything about the background TFA walkers (AT-MA and AT-PD) and the First Order walker dropship?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    TheRedBlade likes this.
  6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Not that I recall. The new walkers are covered, but not the dropship or one from TFA.

--Adm. Nick

7. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    That's a shame. The only informations we have are from a brief description in the AT-ACT wood model book.
    It's a bit odd that neither the ICS and the encyclopedia give any information about the dropship given that the former has two pages dedicated to Cantonica speeders and the latter has a page about the republic tug.

8. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    Nick, I meant if you could just take a photo of the TOC and upload it to imgur or something so we could see it.
    Sphyrna is the genus name for Hammerhead sharks ;)

9. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    Which is pretty weird since they didn't allow the "Vakbeor" to be named "Tardigrade".

10. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    Tardigrade is a more commonly known term than most non-dinosaur animal genus names.

Long Snoot likes this.
  11. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    I'm wondering if that MandalMotors tug was supposed to say Subpro.

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Noticed that the Death Star is now 99 miles wide and Death Star 2 is 120 miles wide. They are even bigger than their first statistical numbers under legend.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes. Legends flip-flopped a lot on the first Death Star - going from 160km diameter (interviews) to 120 km diameter (WEG), back to 160 km (Incredible Cross Sections, and in the last Legends references (Imperial Handbook, Death Star Owner's Workshop Manual), back again to 120km.

The second Death Star has also bounced around, from "5x as big" (800km - interview) to 160km (WEG) to 900km (Complete Locations) and back to 160km (Death Star Owner's Workshop Manual, Imperial Handbook)

Newcanon started with 120km DS1 (Ultimate Star Wars) but changed it to 160 km fairly early (Rogue One Visual Guide).
    For the DS2, again, started at 160km or just over (Ultimate Star Wars, Updated Complete Locations) but changed it to 200km (Updated Junior ROTJ Novelization) and all subsequent works, including the aforementioned Encyclopaedia of Starfighters & Other Vehicles, have used the 200km figure.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Saw this in town yesterday at WH Smiths. I took a look at the Slave I entry but passed on the book.

15. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    Got the book from Amazon today. Weird there is no entry on the Arquitens class.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Commander_Andersen likes this.
  16. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    There is alot of good and bad....

The bad is the errors listed in the book.

The good is the canonization and re-canonization of information. Thall Joben from the Droids cartoon is back and the Nebulon B carries 1 squadron and several shuttles in a hanger.

I don't think there was really a need for the escape pod page and the Blade Wing prototype and B-Wing did not need separate pages (IMHO). Missing are ships that may have had a more prominent role in comic stories like the Kasmiri from the Kanan comics.

Overall this is a 'blurb book'....it does not go into extreme details but gives decent basic information.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  17. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    My two favorite tid-bits from this book are:

-There were more than 1,000 Venator-class star destroyers at the battle of Coruscant.
    -The Empire has thousands of star destroyers.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  18. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    Ehh, I don't like how those numbers were canonized... I prefer them to stay up to speculation to the viewer.
    Like how we got the in game number of 25,000 isd's at the empire's height a few years ago.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Didn't GL himself once say that the Empire had 25,000 Star Destroyers? That's a lot, but not unreasonable for an organization with a million worlds.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't know about Lucas - but Zahn certainly did, in Specter of the Past. I think he got it from WEG's "24 Star Destroyers to a standard sector group" plus there being 1000-odd sectors.

21. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Plus the new canon has had the approach of ISDs being more spaced out. Arquitens (I spelled that right first try, I am so proud) seems to be the ones in the role of being on each Imperial world. I guess Vicstars served that purpose in the past

Snafu55 likes this.
  22. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    If they had that many ships alone, there is no way the Empire collapsed and as fast as portrayed. Certainly 10,000 Star Destroyers would've been enough to crush the rag tag Alliance fleet and with that many ships its unknown why they needed Death Stars when certainty more mobile kyber armed SD type ships could've been created.

23. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Does it mention anywhere that an ARC-170 can fly at hypersonic speeds in an atmosphere with its deflector shields on?

24. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    It's a large galaxy, and the Empire controls most of the explored space. If the Empire had 25,000 ISDs, they were all deployed to separate worlds, and the Empire contains 71 million inhabited worlds: an ISD would be deployed at 0.03546% of Imperial worlds. This does not consider ships undergoing repairs, regular maintenance, off-duty rotations, or crews on a shorter shore leave.

Many have argued, even some characters within the GFFA, that the Empire would have been better served by building more large capital ships than the Death Stars. But the Emperor was going for the ultimate weapon, so that the fear of such a weapon and its ability to completely destroy a world, would eliminate any resistance to the new order.

Regarding how quickly the Empire dissolved after the Battle of Endor in the new canon, Aftermath explains that the Emperor essentially had a kill-switch on the Empire, so that if he ever died, no one could rule his Empire in his place. Jakku was essentially a mass suicide orchestrated by Admiral Rax.

Chris0013 likes this.
  25. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    I seem to be alone in the small imperial fleet camp...