main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    The concept of "it's all canon now" is a total nonsense. As if you're seriously going to tell J.J. Abrams or Rian Johnson that they can't do something because of the 5th issue of a comic book, or the campaign mode of a video game.

Film has, and will always be the native format of Star Wars, and now TV is the rung just below it. Everything else just has to follow suit. As has always been the case.

"It wasn't perfect" is putting it mildly. You also have the advantage of the prequels being, well, prequels, with the outcomes being known quantities anyway. The ST era is best left clear for the filmmakers to craft, then others can populate it appropriately. We also have the entirely new thing of one film picking up mere days after another (or seconds, in regards to Ahch-To).

2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    That doesn't really seem like the working relationship between directors and the Story Group, though. The SG isn't there to say "no, you can't do that", but to offer suggestions and inspiration based on existing material. A writer might come in and say, "hey, I'm after a mud planet for the new film", and the SG suggests Mimban.

3. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Agreed, that's exactly it, but if Johnson wants to have Luke backhand the importance of Jakku (because from what we see in the films it's just the site of a battle), especially when the dialogue is going to open up a degree of empathy towards Rey (oh, you're from nowhere like me) then so be it. What I have an issue is this idea that it's all on the one rung now when that's clearly not going to be the case.

BobaMatt likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think the story group has made events less disjointed than what we had earlier. I really like that aspects of Rogue One were brought into Rebels, for example. It’s better than three different stories about who got the Death Star plans and three different deaths for Shaak Ti.

I agree that the post-Endor era is more disjointed than the Dark Times era and may likely become more so, especially with examples like Poe’s characterization being changed from TFA to TLJ, as well as aspects of Rey’s personality changing. If the story group takes its hands off any further and just lets future directors have “creative reign,” we could have a problem.

As far as Luke and the Jedi, I think the PT Jedi portrayed a lot of issues that happen when organized religious groups get their heads stuck really far up their asses and forget the origins of their belief systems, and Luke has the right idea about going back to the roots of the belief system.

He got it right—“It’s so much bigger.” And I was worried about that line when I first heard it.

StartCenterEnd and Krueger like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sadly, I'd have to agree. It does strike me as a missed opportunity.

The strangest thing is, where the ST is concerned, is they have demonstrated that they have all the skills they need on the other eras, they're just not applying them to that ST era.

Dr. Steve Brule and Dawud786 like this.
  6. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    They aren't applying well to other areas. Healthwise, saw in rebels doesn't match rogue one when it should be literally months apart. Theres confusion on if rebels ends after endor or jakku. The leia comic says they will evacuate yavin immediately, yet she returns to yavin after her extended adventure. The new darth vader comic had the Jedi temple computer call anakin a jedi master.

And the solo movie is still to come.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

7. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Saw's appearance in Rebels is a good year or more before Rogue One, and he's not in hiding on Jedha yet. Rebels ends after Endor, as Sabine says. The Yavin evacuation was delayed in Legends too, likely to allow for stories to take place -- and who knows how long evacuating a base of that size would take. The Resistance had a couple of days for theirs. "Master" has always been an honorific for Jedi; the younglings call him Master Skywalker in ROTS, and that last one's hardly a huge mistake. Errors and typos will happen regardless of how much focus is applied.

Manuel Bothans likes this.
  8. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Heck, Sio Bibble calls Anakin "Master Jedi" in AOTC when he's wearing a Padawan braid.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    This is being a bit disingenuous. Of course the TV series set just around the time of the most recent movie would use aspects of that movie. It's no different than the Tarkovsky Clone Wars series using aspects of AOTC. Tarkovsky Clone Wars also dug back to both the Bantam era and the concurrent YA books to connect them both to the prequels. Rebels using stuff from Rogue One isn't some new thing that only the story group makes possible, it's just the same pattern that's been happening for at least the last fifteen years of Star Wars TV.

And Shaak Ti didn't get three deaths, since two of them were cut scenes that were never any type of canon.

Nom von Anor and spicer like this.
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't there a general principle that cut scenes are S-canon - canon unless later media chooses to contradict them?

Biggs's conversation with Luke on Tatooine being an example.

Heck, the "Shaak Ti scene of Anakin killing her in the temple" is suggested to be G-canon in some respects - possibly a rare case where C-canon (TFU) is allowed to override G-canon:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon
    • G-canon was George Lucas Canon; the six Episodes and any statements by George Lucas (including unpublished production notes from him or his production department that are never seen by the public). Elements originating with Lucas in the movie novelizations, reference books, and other sources were also G-canon, though anything created by the authors of those sources was C-canon. When the films were changed, the newest editions were deemed to take canonical precedence over older ones, as they corrected mistakes, improved consistency between the two trilogies, and expressed Lucas's current vision of the Star Warsuniverse most closely. The deleted scenes included on the DVDs were also considered G-canon (when they didn't conflict with the movie).[4]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I remember the "any statements by George Lucas" part becoming pretty funny after he did that interview where he mentioned in passing "Luke never got married, the Emperor never got cloned" (wtte)

Jon Stewart jokes, though? Gospel!

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    ...beg pardon? I can't for the life of me remember what you're talking about. Granted it's been a long time since I've watched the Microseries, but what Bantam and YA references are you talking about?

13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    The banking clan being from muunilist was a zahn hand of thrawn thing I believe.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It was?? I'm pretty sure the Muuns and the Banking Clan were created for AOTC.

The only thing I can think of is the use of Mon Calamari.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    HELLO HI DID SOMEONE JUST SAY MUUNS?

...Sidv is right. Hand of Thrawn introduced Muunilinst and the bankers, although not described as the IBC specifically. Interestingly, the individual from Muunilinst in HoT was described much like a Muun (tall and thin), although not specifically identified as an alien (nor human). It was really a minor role.

EDIT: Since we're on the subject -- the concept art of San Hill didn't always look like an alien, and sometimes he had hair. There is some floating around on Dermot Power's website: https://adobeus.myportfolio.com/projects

So in other words, the association between Muunilinst and AOTC's character came later. If I had to guess, it was for HolonetNews, right before AOTC was released.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Interesting, I never knew that! (and I read VotF lol)

17. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Lord Graemon.

No, I don't have an eidetic memory.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    When Transformers: Age of Extinction is doing a better portrait of heroism, then I know SW is in a bad way!

Nobody145 likes this.
  19. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Exactly the above for the Bantam link - the Tarkovsky series took the banking planet Muunilinst from Zahn and connected it to the Muun banking aliens from AOTC, which I think is one of the best examples of retcons in the GFFA.

The YA link was the use of Ilum from the Jedi Quest books. Though I feel like Ilum's use in the Tarkovsky CW was so memorable it's somewhat forgotten that it didn't actually originate in the cartoon.

20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I miss this SW storytelling. So many say that Story Group is new and different with multimedia storytelling, but it's not.

21. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I still really like TFA and don't think it's contradicted or weakened by TLJ, but it sure does seem like Rey busts Kylo's lightsaber in their duel. Maybe he just fixes it?

spicer likes this.
  22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That shot confused people at the time - I recall the discussion in the TFA thread, and I myself initially assumed she'd destroyed it, but I think it was pretty quickly cleared up that no, that didn't happen. (If nothing else, the stuff in the TLJ artbook about how there were some concerns about destroying Kylo's mask even though it made a ton of narrative sense, because of marketing, probably makes it clear that they wouldn't wreck his lightsaber 'in passing.')

23. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    It's not just in passing, though - when she appears to make the strike there's a sound effect that seems to mean either she's destroyed his lightsaber or behanded him. Retroactively, it's not clear what's happened there, but I think we can say what the intention seemed to be at the time.

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I figured he just repaired it.

25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Actually, yeah, now that I look, the Wook says that Rey did damage it, and his repairs are why the appearance is slightly different in TLJ. (Which I hadn't even noticed, but I figure it's probably one of those "Vader's suit" things that people generally won't pick up on until they've watched the movie tons of times).