main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Probably just assumed that was the case due to common sense. I mean how many repulsor lift engines would you need to keep an ISD hovering like that? It makes me angry every time I see it, along with the ignoring of gravity wells for hyperdrive. The space whales in Rebels were just the worst. I mean they are SPACE whales not air whales. They should behave in air the same way our sea whales behave on land, and that is die.

2. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    The purgill flew just fine in the mining guild asteroid atmospheres and gas wells.

3. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Asteroids have very low gravity. Even a relatively large one could be very low density like a honey comb. I would have no problem with an ISD hovering or even flying into that asteroid.

4. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    It was explicit. I'm not sure where it was first mentioned, but I know the Imperial Sourcebook mentioned in it's section on the Victory-class Star Destroyer that "One of this vessel's most powerful advantages is its ability to enter the upper levels of a planet's atmosphere - something the newer Star Destroyers cannot do. This permits precision ground attacks and the pursuit of smaller craft hoping to escape by diving toward planet." It also provides "Atmosphere" speed statistics for it, something it doesn't do for the other Star Destroyers in the book.

5. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    IIRC...WEG had it that way....once in space an ISD coming into atmo meant it was going down. However Vics were said to be able to enter atmo.

BLemelisk likes this.
  6. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Well that certainly makes sense. There should be a size limit, just like real big ships not being able to go close to shores without grounding and getting beached.

BLemelisk and jSarek like this.
  7. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    You must really hate Cloud City, then. :p

8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'll add- ships are still built in zero-gravity in the new canon too. Kuat Drive Yards, for instance. Ditto the Mon Cala city ship refits in the Telaris cometary cluster.

Besides, it's just s damned cool to see an ISD in orbit over a city. Star Wars should always been about cool. :cool:

--Adm. Nick

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    In all fairness, Cloud City could probably dedicate most of its power to flying, since it wouldn't need weapons or shields.

Keeping large ships from being able to enter the atmosphere is also something of a useful storytelling tool - after all, it does make fighters and tanks more useful when you can't just have the warships fly in close to engage ground targets.

It would also be good for scenarios to limit a ship's movement - they might have enemies closing in from space, unable to retreat because of the planet and its gravwell behind them.

10. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    :) If Cloud city could also fly around in space and jump into hyperspace and do everything that a star destroyer can do, then yes I would hate it. As it is Cloud city could be made entirety of repulsor lift engines. It could also be orbiting the planet with a band of atmosphere?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    TK-421 Is vader likes this.
  11. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    I agree. There is no reason for the ship to need to go into atmosphere. It doesn't land to unload troops like the Venator does and with the shape of its ventral hall, I doubt it does land.

However, I can stretch my incredulity and accept that they made the ISD atmosphere capable. I absolutely detest the idea that Executors can go into atmosphere. That's an incredible amount of power that keeps them floating and they are needlessly vulnerable in the transition.

12. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I like it both ways honestly. I love the visual of ISDs above cities and the like but I also really like the idea that something that massive cannot remain in the atmosphere of a planet. It can make for cool space combat as ships have to avoid getting pulled in, as well as being a nice case of seeing what a military values given that the larger the ship would mean giving up certain options.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  13. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    To get that visual of a huge ship hovering over a city, I would have made some kind of huge ground based tractor beam. Imagine that getting sabotaged and watching the ISD crash down =P~

vncredleader likes this.
  14. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Now I wanna see one crash in 9. Make it happen ILM

15. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Well we do have the Trade Federation Core ship crash in AotC, great scene that, and the following dust storm being lit up by all the blaster fire.

Edit: from wookieepedia, this is what the Core ship needed just to land and take off again.

vncredleader likes this.
  16. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I somehow misremembered the Ghorman Massacre as Tarkin crushing people with a Star Destroyer, but I just looked it up on Wookieepedia and it just says “Tarkin’s warship”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  17. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Well it had to be quite a big ship to instantly kill the majority of people and have hundreds more severely injured. Too many people for the Carrion Spike. An Acclamator could probably do it. Would the people be killed/injured by the repulsor lifts? couldn't fit them all under the landing struts. Or maybe they all got mown down on a Venator landing strip?

18. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Again, this is cognitive dissonance the EU introduced with the RPG. In the second film, we have an Executor-sized vessel float through the atmosphere of a planet just fine. In the same publishing era, the Executor did the same in a Marvel comic. Hell, after the Imperial Sourcebook was published, Cam Kennedy drew an ISD floating through Nar Shaddaa’s cityscape, so they didn’t even follow this rule set up in an RPG.

19. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Let's not forget the Star Destroyer fight in The Force Unleashed.This definitely isn't a "new canon vs old canon" thing, this pretty much always depended on the author.

Personally since repulsor lifts are made up anyways, and this fictional technology can work anyway we need it to (and we see it holding up a whole city 24-7), I see no reason why something as massive as a Star Destroyer can't hover above a city.

And besides, the Empire is known for extravagant displays of power, it built a moon sized battle station after all. So even if we assume that atmosphere IS difficult for Star Destroyers, it's perfectly in character for the Empire to waste power hovering over a city in a bid to terrify the locals.

20. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    It is also not like they are burning thru diesel to power ships either...I am sure the reactors on SDs can handle the power output.

21. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I think it’s important to get the “man-of-war intimidating the city by coming into port” aesthetic, so I’m all for it.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it might have been through fans conflating Tarkin's personal ship in Jedi Search flashbacks (a Victory-class Star Destroyer) with whatever ship he caused the Ghorman Massacre with.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
  24. Admiral Keller

Admiral Keller Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2017
    I understand the visuals they're going for but I'd much rather have ImpStars stay in space only.

BLemelisk and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  25. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    Couple decades too late for that brah.
    [​IMG]

JediBatman likes this.