main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ready Player One- book and film discussion thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    But Snow Crash will cure all that. In fact, I can then blatantly mock all of those insecure LOSERS who post in this thread who actually liked RPO, knowing full well that I am, in fact, a better person than they are.

BigAl6ft6 and VadersLaMent like this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I mean, maybe it will be life changing for you, and you will?

I'm about halfway through Snow Crash myself. It's okay, but I don't have the urge to call people losers, let alone in all caps.

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    But because you are still halfway farther in Snow Crash than I am, and that I like RPO and you don't, that makes you a better person than I am.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Thank you, I appreciate you acknowledging that!

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Do you still want that bridge I was selling you before?

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The one between RPO and half decent books?

Ender Sai likes this.
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The one that allows you to actually finish Snow Crash; because I've heard it's the best thing written since the Bible.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  8. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Snow Crash is good science fiction. No one ever said it was good fiction.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Ender Sai and Diggy like this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    You know what's amazing? People have said that RPO is good science fiction too.

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Theodore Sturgeon would like a word with you.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    There's definitely Battletoads in the movie twice (one at the start when you get a shot of the entryway and three of them climbing over the hill in the climax) but not sure if they're in there anywhere else. But, yah, I love seeing Spielberg do a mainstream blockbuster-ing again which he hasn't done in a long while. Whole lotta well done chatty historical dramas. But there's a visual sense in the film that is great to see him unleash, I especially dig the backwards / underground POV of the race at the start. And while I'm not the biggest fan of the lead actor, tad bland-y to be honest but a couple of decent bits, I do dig anything Olivia Cooke does in the movie, she has interesting, fun, unique spin of line deliveries, like I love when she asks Pervcial out one time and he looks behind himself confused and she goes "Yes, YOU!" and laughs at him. Really only saw her beforehand in Me, Earl and the Dying Girl but I loved her in that too and about 3 eps into Bates Motel and she's always decent to watch.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    She is a delightful girl.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm leaving work an hour early just to see this movie again, but this time in IMax 3D.

Ahsoka's Tano and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I don't think I've ever actually seen any movie in IMax 3D. I've heard good things about it though.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Snow Crash is just the story that Cline tried to rip off to build RPO; it actually explores the socio-economic themes, rather than using them as the basis for a revenge tale against all the bullies in high school because in RPO's future, the Geek inherit the earth.

It's hard not to consider a tale about a hyper-fractured US, with a main character named Hiro Protagonist and the most powerful cars on the road being pizza delivery cars, slightly intentionally ironic. However, it's also not hard to imagine based on your preference for the shallow and superficial that you also don't quite know what irony looks like...

But part of what makes good dystopian cyberpunk fiction works is the fact that the dystopia has a structure to it, and doesn't just exist as a one dimensional backdrop for the purposes of shoehorning in several dozen pop culture references (for the sake of shoe-horning in pop culture references) per page. In the 2012 novel Altered Carbon, Richard Morgan at least weaves the ethical and legal implications of Meths into the story. In William Gibson's Sprawl books, the Sprawl's former of hypercapitalism creates a lethal pace that means if people disturb the equilibrium, they tend to disappear. Law is laxly enforced in hub cities like Chiba, where life has become dirt cheap. In his Bridge trilogy, the concepts facing us now like underemployment and barely being able to afford the cost of modern life in the US are front and centre.

In RPO, the world has gone to **** but everyone will be happy if they get the references and the paper thin allegory for the bullied teen reading the book, Wade, will get the gurl and the moneys and control the Oasis so they can make whole worlds populated by the offspring of John Rambo and Pac-Man.

You fail to realise the book exists as a masturbatory wish fulfilment fantasy for its author and you're making him rich for having geek tastes. That's literally it. This film will be forgotten in 2 years time, and the book will continue to appeal to those with the most odious of personal habits who, because they otherwise only read Star Wars novels, think it's punchy and good because what's an Irvine Welsh (or insert other modern iconoclastic author)?

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    You have absolutely no proof that Cline ripped off Snow Crash; but whatever. But I'm bored of arguing about this. I've actually had a revelation that I'm pretty proud of myself about. If you and a handful of other people want to talk about how AWESOME and AMAZING Snow Crash is, especially when compared to RPO, then by all means create another thread about it. We get it. You don't like RPO. You think it's a ripoff of the greatest novel since War and Peace. Aren't people allowed to actually like something that you don't? Newsflash: it doesn't make them inferior people to you.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The only thing Snow Crash and RPO have in common in virtual reality. Otherwise they are nothing alike. Might as well accuse Snow Crash of ripping off Neuromancer.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I've actually seen articles online where, if you can believe it, people actually liked both RPO as well as Snow Crash. Those people can actually go to RPO fans and say something like, "well if you liked RPO, you should TRY this one". The "RPO sucks, you should read Snow Crash instead" suggestion won't go anywhere.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Huh, Quiet Place won the weekend in the US but Canadians still went for Ready Player One for #1 2nd week in a row, neat! (it's a hellova lot smaller box office percentage overall but still a thing)

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    One would think you'd need to read Snow Crash first, Tano, in order to make that statement and not be upset that book, with references you mostly didn't get but you got some and that's like belonging to the cool club, right, might be challenged.

But, you can continued to huddle under the duvet of finally feeling like you matter in the world which RPO brings, by making Knowing References Cool!, or you could at least see if there's anyone out there in Googletopia making similar complaints about the things RPO lifts from Snow Crash. Since you haven't read the latter.

1. Here's one
    2. Here's another
    3. Here's a third, which spins into a positive the similarities

Now, to get back to references in lieu of substance, rather than making a point about how "enough people saying the same thing about the same thing would be an indicator that the problem is visible to many", I'll instead quote Douglas Adams who wrote Hitchhiker's Guide, something you probably only have seen by way of the stupid American remake and not the original BBC but still, you might get this reference!

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Yes, they read Snow Crash first, liked it, and THEN LIKED RPO. I don't really give a damn about why a few people liked one book over the other; especially those that made up their mind before opening up the inside cover.

And 74% of Amazon reviewers gave the book 5 stars.

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It's more than a little strange to find a post that one the hand berates someone for their lack of familiarity with material and on the other hand refers to having "seen" a story that originated as a radio drama and whose most popular version remains a series of novels.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I assume that based on the lack of reading to date, the familiarity would have started with the film and would have ignored the radio drama, trilogy of four books, early text-based computer game, etc.

It's made worse by the patent lies Tano keeps telling.

24. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I don’t really have an interest in seeing this movie, but this thread is very entertaining.

tom likes this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah, I'm telling lies. Snow crash is the greatest thing since sliced bread. There's one.