main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics The Holiday Special - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Exar_Xan, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Beercorn

Beercorn Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2017
    When Grievous and Obi-Wan were about to fight during Revenge of the Sith and Grievous started slowly walking toward him while spinning his lightsabers, I believe he was using an ancient Kaleesh fighting technique. The original name of the technique is lost to history, but during the days of the Empire some swordsmen have come to refer to it as "Stir, Whip, Stir, Whip, Whip, Whip, Stir".

2. TheSithWriter

TheSithWriter Jedi Master

Aug 7, 2003
    Don't forget the TIE Fighters blown up by the Falcon in the recycled Episode IV footage. It still counts as a death.

I've been working on editing a less terrible version to make it at least somewhat watchable. Here are some of the things I've changed:

Don Pardo-style opening replaced with movie-style crawl.
    Recycled ship footage replaced with remastered footage
    Tumbling act has been removed!
    Jefferson Starship has been removed and replaced with Sy Snootles' little dance number, "Da Hutt Moda", from the Clone Wars season 3 episode "Hunt for Ziro"
    The entry to Diahann Carroll's VR sequence has been shortened so it goes straight to her, instead of those kitschy vfx with horrid swimmers (Were they supposed to be alien?)
    The required viewing transmission has been expanded to include the fan-film "Troops", before going to the Mos Eisley Cantina.
    The cheesy 1970s computer klaxon (which sounds like a controlled blast of air through a French horn or tuba) has been replaced with a more up-to-date klaxon
    The second recycled shot of 2 ISDs over Tatooine has been replaced with footage of an SSD from the game "Rebel Assault II" (surprising how well that worked).
    Chewbacca's memory flashback has been expanded to include footage of him from the Clone Wars episode "Wookiee Hunt" and Episode III.
    The badly rendered closing TV credits of the 1970s have been replaced with a movie-style closing credits, designed by myself and another forum member.

It still has a few small glitches, but when it's done, I plan to release it on YouTube or Vimeo for free viewing. I consider this a fan edit, and am not trying to make a profit on this. All footage was downloaded from YouTube.

I am SO glad that you picked up on that about Leia's song!

Hopefully, you'll check out my edited version when it's done.

It's fun to watch a piece of kitsch every now and then. Like it or not, it IS part of the Star Wars saga, and I watch it when I binge-watch the entire saga.

No, the alien chef is played Harvey Korman. Bea Arthur played Ackmena, the night bartender of the Mos Eisley Cantina. She was also featured as a major player in an anti-slavery group on Tatooine in the Fate of the Jedi books of the Legends timeline.

I'm working on a fan edit with that purpose in mind.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    TheSithWriter don't post more than once in a row. Use the edit button to add to a post, or keep pressing the reply button to quote multiple people.

Plus, those posts are from 14 years ago. Half of those posters are long gone. Also you can't post fan films of the Holiday Special here.

4. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Disney just needs to bite the freaking bullet and release this on Blu Ray.

SensationalSean likes this.
  5. TheSithWriter

Aug 7, 2003
    I rather like Leia's song. I like the sense of hope it conveys for the day the Empire falls. Besides, since she passed, I can't bear to skip any footage of Princess Leia. :_|

Check out the edit I'm working on when it's done.

That would explain their inclusion of Jefferson Starship. That, and the tumblers, are the only two sections of the Special I can't watch. Fast forward time!

cwustudent likes this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    SithWriter, see my previous post. Don't keep making post after post after post- it's spam.

7. TheSithWriter

Aug 7, 2003
    Won't happen again.

8. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    With the Hasbro fan's choice poll running this week, is there a campaign for Gormaanda that I can get suppott? If anyone want's someone from the Holiday Special to be made, this is the chance, but probably only if there's an organized effort.

revan772 likes this.
  9. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
    Padme501st and cwustudent like this.
  10. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

I interviewed Kathy Kennedy at Celebration Europe last summer and completely forgot to ask her about this. I've been kicking myself ever since.

I assume she would have said "I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about," made some tiny gesture and two huge security guards would have taken me away ... but it would have been worth it.

11. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Just stumbled upon this.
    [​IMG]
    Luke is life. Luke is love. [face_love] :luke:

12. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    That haircut...Its like the result of Luke and and a Ken Doll using the teleporter from "The Fly"

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    If anyone out there likes the HS please explain why?

14. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Watching something so bad that it is amusing is always a treat. Laughing at a movie can be as satisfying as laughing with it (ex: Troll 2). I mean, a Christmas special for children where an elderly dog-person is titillated by virtual reality goggles? What isn't to love?

15. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Because it's Star Wars. Back when it came out we didn't have Star Wars permeating everything everywhere. We had to take what we got. And we liked it. As campy as it is, it brought back characters that we loved and desperately wanted to see more of. I've heard people claim that they like it more than the prequels. I can't claim the same thing, but I can understand (and honestly put it about on par with TPM).

16. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    My family makes a party out of watching it, we drink wine and eat Star Wars themed foods and pretty much laugh and have a fun time with it. By no means do I think it is good or well made at all, but it can be fun if you go into it knowing what it is and just enjoying it for being a campy, hilariously bad mess.

17. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Lumpy's and Boba Fett's first appearances, I love both of those characters. Other then that it was just enjoyable to watch for me.

LukeLives likes this.
  18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I can't claim to like the Holiday Special, but I'm endlessly fascinated by it. It's just such at product of its time - nothing like that could ever be produced these days (or in the past thirty years, honestly). Especially not with all the main players like that.
    So I don't like watching the HS (except for the cartoon segment, which is awesome), but I love reading about it. I would love to see a real in-depth documentary about the making (and reception) of it. Or maybe read a Rinzler-style book about it.

SensationalSean and MrDarth0 like this.
  19. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
    [QUOTEI would love to see a real in-depth documentary about the making (and reception) of it.][/QUOTE]
    It could be a nice doc for the upcoming Disney streaming service !

20. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I've only seen the Holiday Special once and it was a bit painful, but I've always been fascinated by it. I'm sure I'll revisit it eventually and no doubt it'll be even more excruciating than the initial viewing. I'd LOVE some kind of documentary about it though.

21. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I've seen it 5 or 6 times at this point.

I just love showing it to people who never seen it before and then enjoy watching their reactions.

22. KamenSentaiMetalHero

KamenSentaiMetalHero Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    There are only two things that Star Wars fans can agree on. One, we all love Star Wars, and two, we all think THS is bad. Not even that Boba Fett short can save as I'm not a Boba Fett fan. Also, Carrie Fisher's singing wasn't that bad. The moral of the story, kids, is that you don't trust anyone with your work, otherwise you'll end up with this.

23. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Nope, not even that, I'm afraid. :p Ackmena is life.

Jedi Knight Fett and MrDarth0 like this.
  24. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    I can't believe there is even a thread dedicated to this...um...is travesty too strong a word? :p

I've seen it all the way through twice...though both times I had to skip/mute certain parts for fear of total cranial meltdown. But- dare I say it? -some parts I actually enjoy. Anything with the original cast is tolerable, the cooking sequence always makes me laugh, and I really don't think Chewie's family is as bad as they say. Malla seems like a typical harried stay-at-home mom while Lumpy is kind of cute. Itchy, though...:oops:

The funniest part of any copy I've seen, however, is the 1970's commercials. Wow. [face_laugh]

25. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    It is so bad it is interesting.

LukeLives likes this.