main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Teleport Me

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by PadawanGussin, Apr 14, 2018.

1. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    In ANH when C3PO asks if ther us any way he can help, Luke responds "not unless you can speed up the harvest or "teleport me off ...."
    This is the only reference I can find to teleporting in the entire saga.
    Was it just a "12 parsecs " type error or were rhere original plans to show some type of matter energy transport system in use that were latter dropped?

MotivateR5D4 and Huttese 101 like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    What an interesting question! I would think it was just by means of being a sarcastic comment not really reflective of tech, at least not on Tatooine. :p But teleportation/transporters like they have for Trek in SW would be ... a fun plot device. :cool:

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I think it was Luke's way of saying that he knew what he wanted was impossible.

4. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    It would imply that teleportation is a thing, considering Luke mentioned it.

Granted, perhaps he was referring to hyperspace, which is kind of like teleportation.

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Not necessarily. He could have read about it in a sci-fi story, or seen it on GFFA's version of Star Trek. We talk about it and we all know what it is, and as far as we know it's impossible.

6. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Here is Luke's reply from the January 1976 draft:

THREEPIO

I beg your pardon sir, but is there anything I might do to help?

Luke glances at the battered robot and a bit of his anger drains and a tiny smile creeps across his face.

LUKE

Not unless you can change the unchangeable or alter time.

which had changed in the March 1976 draft to

*LUKE
    Not unless you can alter time… speed up the harvest… or teleport me off this rock

7. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Someone could talk about teleporting themselves without actually having the technology.......?

Lt. Hija and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  8. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I mean, I'm sure the concept of teleportation exists in the SW universe even if the technology doesn't

For what it's worth, old EU actually did have teleportation in the form of a rare Force ability referred to as "fold space", but I don't believe current canon has any such thing as of yet

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Kind of like what we're doing right now.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  10. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Teleportation doesn't exist? Ok. But if we're taking about it, maybe we don't exist.....

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Well, there was a Boba Fett comic book issue featuring teleportation.

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And an Ewoks comic book issue.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Nice idea, only too bad it's not original to SW but was taken straight from Dune. Of course Herbert in turn could have gotten the idea from an earlier story as well.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  14. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I'm with the opinions that suggest Luke was simply lamenting his predicament and making one of those wish fulfillment type comments that we all make.

15. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Teleport me to the GFFA so I can evaluate the accuracy of my "in-universe" articles... :D

16. Bosozoku27

Bosozoku27 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2017
    Just a guess, but perhaps in the SW universe the science of teleporting was undeveloped/unreliable, as it was for some time in the ST universe? Just my way of rationalizing Luke's statement...

Huttese 101 and Sarge like this.
  17. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Ha kinda cool how he thought teleporting was impossible, but was able to do it many years later in Episode 8.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah that's amazing, one of his first few lines is "Teleport me off this rock" and then

[​IMG]

BOYAH! The farmboy did it! Close-ish enough.

19. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017
    My primary question was if G L had put teleporting into one of his early story lines then removed it for the finalized version of ANH.

20. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Except that wasn't teleportation, it was astral projection. Kind of like a hologram message, only using the Force.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Close enough!

22. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    "Threepio?! Can you teleport me off this rock? I'd rather die in the process than remain my uncle's slave worker..." 8-}

23. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I think Luke was making a remark out of frustration as stated above. Consider it a sci-fi reference inside of a sci-fi movie. While I am not aware of it being stated anywhere I think GL might have tweaked the line to appear as it did to make it sound more spacey. You can see examples of this from the audition tapes, but it still seems GL was convinced the spaceships, laser swords etc. weren't enough to relay that we were in a space opera; he needed to pour it on with the dialogue as well.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  24. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    What confuses me more is 3POs response. “I’m not knowledgeable about such things. Not on this planet anyway.”

So that means teleportation and time travel depend on which planet you’re on??

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  25. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017
    I thought is was two separate sentences.
    " Im not very knowledgeable....
    Followed by
    "Im not sure what planet we are on...
    First a follow up to Lukes remark, then the next question, where are we ?
    I suspect that once ownership had been established , part of a protocol driods programming would be to confirm location so rhat the droid could access specific cultural information to best assist its new master.

Sarge likes this.