main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    He can take a moment on his own time. While the First Order's paying him, he's expected to rush in and die like an Elite Mook, not stand around like a cheap lava lamp. This is what my First Order tax dollars are going towards?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Your tax credits went to building the now destroyed Starkiller base

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Maybe he needs a sec to level up. Or it's not his turn to cast yet.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So in Last Jedi, when Rose is talking bout her family's history with the First Order and how they tested weapons on her people, I'm guessing the F.O. had been slowly expanding it's territory for decades when it came to prominence from the unknown regions so wherever Rose is from probably wouldn't have been New Republic (cuz as toothless as they were, they probably wouldn't take to the First Order straight up annexing their people), maybe an outlier independent system near the unknown regions that the F.O. sort of just scooped up. Probably the same deal wherever Finn was born.

I mean it's interesting that in Bloodline, less than decade before TFA, the First Order is a big secret but they're already what a decade into lil FN-2187s training? So whenever Rose and Finn are from it's definitely somewhere the New Republic didn't know or hear about since the F.O. is running rampant all over them.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  5. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Agreed. Although, by the time of the Battlefront II DLC (so, by TFA), the First Order had Project Resurrection up and running in the Jinata system which, if not a member system of the NR, certainly wasn’t in some uncharted corner of the Galaxy.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah they're already taking potshots at each other in Force Awakens and Before the Awakening / Poe Dameron comic in the Cold War period (that went hot when they fired off the Starkiller) but Finn and Rose had to come from somewhere the FO just straight up took over some planets without the NR knowing at least a decade or more before the Cold War period.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah It seems this was either him rejoining the fight, or this is his partner - remember, Snoke's guards are a group of four pairs.
    Worth remembering at this point they appeared to be doing a lot of work through Jinata Security and, probably, other seemingly independent contractors.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    TheRedBlade likes this.
  8. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    The guard losing his weapon mid-move is nothing. Just watch any fight-scene from a recent super-hero film, eg. Batman v Superman and see the bad guys hustle around for 10 seconds with their machine guns pointed at the hero but not firing, waiting for him to finish beating up their mate before they run in and get beaten up as well, never having fired a shot. It's 100x worse than this.

Despite all the problems with TLJ, that scene was bloody awesome

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Guy Haley put it like this:
    "The void is impossible for the human mind to encompass.
    Within the galaxy mankind calls home there are three hundred billion stars. Around these revolve hundreds of billions of worlds, and the spaces between are crowded by a diversity of objects which defy enumeration. Mankind’s galaxy is but one of trillions of galaxies in a universe of unguessable size. The distances between even proximate astronomical bodies are inconceivable to creatures evolved to walk the warmer regions of single small world.
    This is why the void cannot be understood. Not by men, nor by their machines."

With that in mind it would not be that hard to carve out a smaller empire and not be noticed as long as you do it in the areas of the galaxy seldom visited

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I just realized that JJ could still give a meaningful lineage to Rey without contradicting Kylo's words in 8.

Kylo: Do you want to know the truth about your parents, or have you always known? You've just hidden it away. You know the truth. Say it. Say it.
    Rey: They were nobody.
    Kylo: They were filthy junk traders; sold you off for drinking money. They're dead in a pauper's grave in the Jakku desert.
    Rey: Yes, my parents may have been nobody, but only because my grandfather, Emperor Palpatine, disowned my parents for their drinking problem. You left that part out!
    Kylo: Blast it, you figured it out! Well to be fair, what I did tell you was technically true. It wasn't even a "certain point of view thing" like my namesake liked to pull, what I said about your parents was actually true, I didn't say anything about your grandparents.

Of course while this may stay true to Rian's actual dialogue, it probably violates the spirit of Rian's dialogue completely. But hey, fair game in a shared universe. :p

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Barriss_Coffee and Vialco like this.
  11. xoubara

xoubara Jedi Master star 2

Mar 4, 2003
    My guess is that it was a deliberate decision, probably based on pacing or dramatic reasons. The combat may have been originally longer than what we got, and initially there could have been a movement where rey takes the weapon from the guard's hand.

Decisions like this one are not unusual during the editing process.

Senator Wan, Revanfan1 and Hypatia like this.
  12. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I saw a face-slap on an office drama today and it brought to mind Leia's slapping Poe and it raised an interesting question in my mind.

If a female fighter commander disobeyed her male commanding officer and got her pilots killed, then returned to her command ship and was struck across the face by her commander, would that count as assaulting a subordinate? Because that's exactly what Leia does to Poe. If, say, Paige Tico disobedied Poe's orders and he slapped her across the face afterwards, I'm sure there would be some fan outcry against Poe for hitting a woman under his command. So why hasn't there been any outcry about Leia slapping Poe? She is essentially assaulting a male officer under her command. Does that fact that it's a woman striking a man really make it okay?

Revanfan1 and Jedi Ben like this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Not really, but there's established standards for these things- a man slapping a woman is a lot worse than a woman slapping a man.

14. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Even within the military? Talk about a double standard.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm only talking real life. Obviously physical abuse knows no gender in a military setting.

A lot of people are squeamish about seeing women physically harmed by men. If it were Admiral Statura slapping Paige then yeah, there'd be more than a few people wincing, and possibly some outcry.

Revanfan1, Vialco and sidv88 like this.
  16. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I don't think anyone should be hitting anyone. Neither women nor men should hit anyone except in self defense, and it certainly shouldn't be seen as a sign of strength.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

17. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Well aside from it being a dramatic scene, there's really no excuse for a General to strike their subordinate officer. But I guess I'll chalk it up to a complete lack of rules and discipline in the Resistance. They aren't exactly a proper military. After all, Holdo wears a dress on the bridge of her flagship. Which is also rather ironic, given that she makes a big deal of Poe's demotion and rank.

Revanfan1 and PCCViking like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Personally, I didn’t like the Leia slapping Poe scene, although I agree with Todd on why it would be viewed differently if genders were reversed.

For some reason Disney/LFL seems intent on making Leia physically abusive. The comic writers did the same.

Snarky and straightforward does not equal “willing to slap people for any slight.”

19. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    C'mon.

[​IMG]

Senator Wan, Revanfan1 and Gamiel like this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Absolutely. They seem to have got this idea in their heads that for women "violence = strength", so there's Rey doing sneak attacks on Finn and Luke, Leia punching, kicking Han and slapping Poe, taser-happy Page - hey, you know what? Jyn comes out of this picture a damn sight better than the others.

It's not good.

sidv88, Vialco, Ghost and 2 others like this.
  21. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Mon Mothma was a political leader, she wasn't part of the Alliance military.

Vice-Admiral Holdo, as her title already says, was military. The Resistance doesn't have a civilian side unlike the Rebel Alliance, which even had a Minister of Education.

Vialco likes this.
  22. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Doesn't Leia kill a dude trying to arrest her within a few minutes of her initial introduction?

23. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Poe is also, like, Leia’s surrogate son. I don’t think she’d be slapping anyone but him. (For the record, I didn’t care for it, although the blooper real is hilarious.) I don’t read the comic, so I can’t speak to her characterization there.

I don’t agree with the assessment that new canon is making women use unnecessary violence to show strength against men. Rose tasered Finn because he was trying to desert. She’d do it to anyone. Rey “chased down Finn with a stick” because she believed he’d done something to BB-8’s master and he was trying to run away. Rey struck Luke in the back because he was walking away from her. Luke then proceeded to fight back, striking her in the hand, and basically overpowering her without even trying until she grabbed her lightsaber and he stumbled. (Also, don’t forget that earlier Luke slapped her across the hand with a reed.) Those aren’t moments of “let’s have women attack men for no reason!”

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  24. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    What was Mon Mothma's rank again? She was an Admiral too, right? Probably a Grand Admiral judging by her white dress.

He really isn't. Poe's the son of Kes and Shara. A good son whose followed in his parents footsteps in fighting for freedom. Leia had her own son that she raised, and who betrayed everything she stood for. She doesn't get to claim Poe as a surrogate to replace the son that she failed and lost.

I wonder if the Resistance knows that Kylo Ren is Leia's son. And if they do, do they blame her, just a bit, for the evil he's doing. I know that in Legends, many people resented Han and Leia for Darth Caedus's rampages.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  25. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    She only made "a big deal" of Poe's demotion because he tried to play it off like it didn't happen. Misrepresenting yourself is not a good way to introduce yerself.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk