main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Misconceptions You Had as a Kid. (RE-MADE)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Saber101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    There are many different kinds of synesthesia, I've read.

Anyhow, I recall that using the first time I saw ROTJ, I didn't understand what Obi-Wan meant when he said, "Bury your feelings deep down, Luke." I thought he said something like, "Bear your feelings deep down." I was like, "What does that mean?" Lol.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Justus_Cade

Justus_Cade Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 31, 2002
    As a kid I always thought Vader wanted the Millennium Falcon in ESB because it was a fast ship. Hey, I was only 6 in 1980.

Master_Rebado and LukeLives like this.
  3. Doompup

Doompup Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    In TESB, I always thought the tank Luke was in was water to bring his body temperature back to normal because of hypothermia (although i didn't know that word as such then; just that he got frozen). I still kind of think it is, and the whole bacta thing is an EU invention.

4. LukeLives

LukeLives Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2018
    May not be exactly what this thread is about but.....I thought "gee luke is pretty Buff in TESB" the actor playing him must have worked out a lot.

5. LukeLives

LukeLives Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2018
    I also thought Ben was trained by yoda and yoda only and that there were only like 3-5 jedi..like ever.... and I thought it was "Gran ma Tarkin" which I thought was weird, but just accepted.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Master_Rebado and Martoto77 like this.
  6. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I thought that the Jedi in the Republic would be like wandering heroes who would happen to be in the right place at the right time to keep peace and uphold justice. Rather than galactic G-Men who get sent out from central office to put a button on any possible miscreants.

But that's more a preconception than a misconception.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    @LukeLives Please use the edit feature at the bottom of your initial post to add more content to that initial post. COnsecutive posting by a single user is disfavored.

LukeLives likes this.
  8. LukeLives

LukeLives Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2018
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I remember reading an interview with Mark Hammill in 1980; he said he hated weightlifting for the part, but that's what he had to do.

LukeLives likes this.
  10. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I don't think that preconception is wrong though. I would think that the majority of Jedi during peaceful times would be travelers, maybe assigned to a sector of space, looking to help solve minor problems and disputes on worlds, without direct orders from the council. They could come across something big now and then and save the day. I don't know of anything that says this cannot be the case.

11. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I am talking about the prequel era though. Even in TPM, before the wars, the Jedi are a well established symbol of big government with their opulent and intimidating Temple/HQ.

Yoda and Ben's itinerant lifestyles in the OT were what I assumed was the traditional image of a Jedi that would be confirmed in the PT.

I suppose the clue was always there, with them being known as "Knights". Knights were essentially muscle kept loyal to the baron/church/monarch with payment and privilege.

12. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I think the movies focus on the top brass of the Jedi in the capital of the republic. There were thousands of Jedi throughout the galaxy though, a lot maybe having never even been to Coruscant, being trained at smaller Jedi academies (Like on Taris and Dantooine in KotOR). So even in the prequel pre clone war era, I think there were Jedi just travelling the galaxy like you imagined.

13. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    That's not what the films tell us though. Their devotin to jurisdiction contradicts that aspect too.

14. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    There are lots of things about the Jedi that were not in the movies. Don't let the movies limit your imagination. You never know, the new live action TV series could be about the Jedi Exploration Corps.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Exploration_Corps

15. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I can imagine these things without the movies limiting me. I also imagined the PT would show that though. But it it didn't. It showed them as a centralised government agency.

16. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I do salute your healthy scepticism (it's warranted), but in this particular case it's something that was already suggested in the screenplay:

INT. REBEL BASE - MEDICAL CENTER
    Strange robot surgeons adjust a mass of electronic equipment. A switch
    is thrown and a sudden blinding flash obscures Luke in a bacta tank
    filled with a thick, gelatinous slime.
    He begins to thrash about,
    raving in delirium.

Doompup likes this.
  17. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I'm sure I read bacta in the ESB novelisation as a child.

Doompup likes this.
  18. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    Up until about The Force Awakens I swore that this was supposed to be Luke's hand still holding onto the lightsaber:

[​IMG]

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  19. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I thought 'navigator on a spice freighter' meant he was on a ship carrying things like cayenne peppers and saffron.

Jedi Knight Fett, Mange and Martoto77 like this.
  20. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I know I had a few but I honestly can't think of any right now. However, I do remember my cousin telling me the story of how Vader got messed up and put in the iconic suit he wears. This was obviously sometime before ROTS was released. He told me Obi-Wan and him fought on top of an active volcano and Obi-Wan dropped Vader inside it. I remember being in awe, like a legend was being told. I think he got that from an interview GL did in the 80's or 90's. Of course we did end up getting something similar but instead it was a volcano like planet.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Some people still do!

22. HighWiredSith

HighWiredSith Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2001
    Saw ANH in 1977 when I was six years old. I and my friends were convinced Vader was a robot or at least not human. Like many, apparently, I was also convinced that I had seen a cut of the film that included the scenes with Biggs on Tattoine. I am told now that this was impossible as no such cut of the film has ever been been broadcast or released. I think my memories of that were the result of seeing the film only one time before its release on home video in the early 80's and the Star Wars Picture Book that included a couple of still shots of Biggs talking to Luke at Tosche Station.

TOASTEROVEN and Martoto77 like this.
  23. Tal0nkarrde2

Tal0nkarrde2 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2018
    Not so much a misconception as how the hell? I swore that I saw Biggs Darklighter on Tatooine with Luke in the movie. Now, as an adult, I know this scene ended on the cutting room floor, but as a kid I swore I saw it. Perhaps because I read the photo book adaptation, the novel and saw the scene in the numerous Star Wars cards I collected? Can't explain it.

24. HighWiredSith

HighWiredSith Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2001
    I thought R5-D4 was R2-D6. Seriously, no idea why I though that and I believed it so firmly that I got into a fistfight over it with my best friend. We were very serious about our Star Wars stuff. I also had a the Star Wars disco record and was convinced that the disco song was in the film, maybe in the canteen scene. Again, this was back in the day before video rentals (WAY before digital), so most of us only got to see Star Wars once in 1977 and had to spend the intervening years before it was broadcast on television or released on video using our imaginations.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  25. MyDarkstar

MyDarkstar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 8, 2014
    After seeing Ep IV in the theater (as a 7yr old) I was under the impression that Vader had died. I was completely surprised to see him in the trailers for ESB.

Yes, I know it's obvious he lives now whenever I watch it. But I was 7.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk