main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #50-55: Hope Dies (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Apr 18, 2018.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Thanks to @Ancient Whills for posting these in the Star Wars #44-49 thread!

STAR WARS #50
    KIERON GILLEN (W) • SALVADOR LARROCA (A)
    Cover by MIKE MAYHEW
    Variant Cover by PHIL NOTO
    Variant Cover by David Marquez
    Variant Cover by TERRy DODSON
    VIRGIN VARIANT Cover by TERRy DODSON
    Galactic Icon Variant Cover by ROD REIS
    Action Figure Variant Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    IN THIS ISSUE…HOPE DIES.
    • The REBEL FLEET is completed. It’s magnificent. It’s beautiful. It’s secret.
    • But no secret is kept for long from DARTH VADER.
    • The most epic story yet done in a STAR WARS comic begins here. Prepare to witness the Empire TRULY strike back.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

STAR WARS #51
    KIERON GILLEN (W) • SALVADOR LARROCA (A)
    Cover by MIKE MAYHEW
    Action Figure Variant Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHERR
    HOPE DIES PART 2
    • The MILLENNIUM FALCON – alone – versus an entire IMPERIAL FLEET.
    • Can LEIA discover the cause of this disaster?
    • And even if she can, is it too late?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd.

[​IMG]

Looks like that new fleet is gonna suffer some losses! Hopefully we see the Mid Rim campaign, perfect moment to tie to a major canon event![face_praying]

--Adm. Nick

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Jedi Daniel, Hypatia and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  2. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    The arc is called 'Hope Dies', per the solicits, right?

(On a minor side note, I am hoping they will address the whole issue of the Rebels having the Profundity already before Yavin while they apparently had no other Mon Cala ships until the current arc...)

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hope Dies, probably longer than 2 issues. Reading Gillen's interview, this is the Rebels getting smacked around as, the way he sees ESB is that the Empire has ALREADY struck back and are on the run, so the Rebels are due for a big loss after Yavin. So that would technically mean The Empire Strikes Back is at least the 2nd Striking Back of the Empire in a row.

Hypatia likes this.
  4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  5. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    My fear is that they'll ignore the Mid Rim campaign entirely. After all, they initially made headway in their invasion before the Empire pushed them back. You'd think that would lead to hope first before the death of hope. Are they going to do a time jump?

MrDarth0, Vthuil, Jedi Ben and 2 others like this.
  6. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, losing a base and part of the fleet pre-Hoth just... feels anti-climactic. I'm with Matt, I'd rather see the Mid Rim campaign. The Rebels losing because of their overconfidence, not just because Vader shows up with a fleet. I'll keep an open mind... but we already know that a good chunk of this fleet escapes. Killen has been interviewed saying this arc is about how the Rebels had all those MC80's in ROTJ. So even if there are some significant losses... it will lack an emotional feel. Ditto losing a base before Hoth.

Anyways, if they at least mention/tie this into the Mid Rim campaign, I'll be much happier. Fingers crossed!

--Adm. Nick

7. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Yes. Hopefully there is a time jump and we see the story at the start of the turning point for the Empire when it begins pushing the Rebels back to the outer rim.

AdmiralNick22 and Daneira like this.
  8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, this feels kind of boring and rushed. Like the current Mon Calamari arc is about increasing Rebel strength, and then right afterward, the Rebel fleet gets blown up? And this is all set before Hoth too, which is a pretty big loss for the Rebellion (though not as bad as it could have been). Like the Rebels cartoon let them make a few gains (a base, a small fleet) before blowing it up at the end of the season, having this happen so soon just makes it hard to care.

Not to mention that line just sounds silly, even by comic standards- the Empire striking back earlier than ESB? Well, there's still that whole war going on between the Empire and Rebellion, but trying to preempt ESB sounds silly. "Before their horrible defeat at Hoth, they had an even more horrible defeat!" :confused: The same awful tracing art doesn't help either. I guess I'll just wait until the TPB goes on sale for 99 cents by next year probably.

Hypatia likes this.
  9. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The Mid Rim Campaign pretty much contradicts ESB's own scroll, if you want to be a minimalist:

"It is a dark time for the Rebellion. Although the Death Star has been destroyed, Imperial troops have driven the Rebel forces from their hidden base and pursued them across the galaxy.

Evading the dreaded Imperial Starfleet, a group of freedom fighters led by Luke Skywalker has established a new secret base on the remote ice world of Hoth."

Maybe they will not change the hidden base to not be Yavin IV, but this new location? ;)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Daneira likes this.
  10. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    That crawl has to be taken with a grain of Crait-salt. We see on Hoth that Leia is the clear leader. Luke is not the one calling the shots.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  11. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The Empire had the Rebellion on the run even before ESB. Don't you remember that the Rebellion was on the run in the very beginning of the movie? Hoth wasn't a stronghold that the Rebels had. It was just a location they were temporarily at while in retreat.

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I have zero issue with the Rebels being on the ropes and on the run. It's just that I liked the idea that post-Yavin they got overconfident and launched a campaign they weren't truly ready for. It will be very interesting to see how they handle a defeat for the Rebel Fleet pre-Endor. In The Rebel Files, we know that the fleet wasn't able to get to Hoth in time. Per Ackbar, "I got the call of course, but there wasn't enough time to scramble the fleet and get to Hoth. The actual evacuation occurred in a matter of hours."

The other line from TRF that would be contradicted by a major fleet loss pre-Hoth is from Mon Mothma's address following the destruction of Echo Base. In it, she notes that "the Alliance Fleet, not present at Hoth, is as strong as ever. We have since won victories against the Empire at Pyros and Mirrin Prime."

Don't get me wrong, all of this will be easily massaged to work one way or another. So I'm not worried about that. It's more that this is a AWESOME chance to show some good use of continuity and tie this to the Mid Rim Campaign. I hope TPTB don't miss out on it. :)

--Adm. Nick

13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Are you talking about the Rebels Files thing that (at least on Amazon) costs almost a hundred dollars for less than two hundred pages of content? Oof I don't have that and if it indeed costs that much I definitely am not getting it.

Looks like there is a hardcover Rebel Files book being released this summer that is much more affordable (priced at under twenty dollars on amazon).

14. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    It's not just about book, there's a Death Star hologram projector, a hard case, a Kuat Drive Yards brochure, the Yavin 4 base evacuation checklist, Lando's Rebel Alliance intake form, and Jyn's prison intake form.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    "The most epic story yet done in a STAR WARS comic"?

[​IMG]

CooperTFN and spicer like this.
  16. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    True, but if we're going to slip hairs here (though, isn't that what we do here all the time? :p ), all the text crawl (at least, how I read it) says is that "a scouting team lead by Luke Skywalker found Hoth and decided to establish the main base there." Nothing says he was involved with actually building it, or running the day-to-day operations like Leia.

17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Can't wait for this arc. its looking epic.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Arc title is Hope Burns... Most appropriate....

As the belief of many SW fans that there might be a change of artist is reduced to ash!

Nah, they got plenty of time to reconcile all that with the new stuff that's been done, three years of it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  19. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I'm hoping that we are getting closer to the Battle of Hoth now.

20. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Hey, remember when good guys won in Star Wars and the heroes were heroic?

revan772 likes this.
  21. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Okay, I'll bite: Sure, why do you ask?

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [​IMG]
    If it's funshine and happy thoughts you want, the Marvel Cinematic Universe is right down the hall.

...no wait they're about to kill all their whole cast next week. And Solo will probably be as dark as the Crispin trilogy. So... Guess there's always Ant-Man?

(to be serious, I think we're at that low point in the SWverse were we're nearing ESB in the comics and just survived Rogue One and TLJ, where things are pretty grim for the heroes. Like the Pixar motto goes, when your heroes are down, kick them down ever harder. I'm convinced Ep9 is going to make the victory that much more glorious. Insert sappy inspirational quote about "hope" here.)

23. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Because it seems like we just don't have many happy endings for our heroes anymore.

You know, things like Leia and Luke robbing the Wheel to take a few trillion credits to fund the Rebellion.

revan772 likes this.
  24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Oh man, this is almost sigworthy.

25. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    We don't live in an age anymore where a lot of people are calling for those family friendly sitcoms. These days people want shows about post apocalyptic worlds and shows that fully embrace all the dark things that went on in the middle ages. Star Wars is only doing the things that the entertainment business is currently calling for. Yes Star Wars is still a franchise largely for the young. But the young these days sees a lot more than the young did twenty or thirty years ago.