main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is there any archive of the news/leaks/speculation about TPM from 1994-1998?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Arthurius, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Darth Arthurius

Darth Arthurius Jedi Knight

Jan 29, 2016
    It just seems like it must've been an exciting time to a fan. I'd love to be able to read postings, speculation, "news" and supposed "leaks" from the '94-'98 timeline...Any available anywhere?

2. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    The comedic value would be interesting.

dolphin likes this.
  3. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Google Groups got dozens of 90s threads speculating on the PT. Some go all the way to 1992.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Our Phantom Menace forum is still around in the Inactive JC Forum section. It doesn't go back as far as the mid 90s though.

5. Gunray-ban

Gunray-ban Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2017
    I remember those days. Stuff like the fact that Obi-Wan was rumored to be a clone (OB-1 was his clone designation), Anakin falls into a molten pit, the Jedi would battle the Mandalorian Supercommandos...

6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I believe the X Wing books from the 90s consider the Clone Wars and the Rise of the Empire at least years apart. Palpatine become Chancellor/President AFTER the Clone Wars ended. This lead to secession and civil unrest apparently in the Galactic Republic.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I remember reading a lot of Corona Coming Attractions websites in high school (before I got Internets at home at the computers at school) for Phantom Menace scoops but also some blatant speculation / fan fic they ran there for awhile. Even before the movie was cast / title announced. Like, 94-96 stuff, I have vague memories of someone posting an entire PT plot summary that I totally fell for where Obi-Wan met Anakin as an adult pilot. And I believed every word! And they kept posting it for days and days. Saw spy pics of Anakin's pod first there too, I believe. Back when I had no idea what the heck a "pod" was supposed to be. (didn't even know it was for racing!)

8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I would be really interested in reading this myself

Darth Caliban likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Here's something I found buried away on the Corona Coming Attractions website, dunno when it was overhauled but this does seem like it came from the 1990s

http://www.coronacomingattractions.com/movie/star-wars-episode-i-phantom-menace?t=details#twocents

However, one of the stronger rumors that has survived the past 8 or so years centers upon ideas that might appear in the new films. Of these, the IG assassin droids (one was briefly seen in the bounty hunter scene in The Empire Strikes Back), more than one but less than a dozen, are to be shown. As well, soldiers outfitted in the Mandalore battle armor Boba Fett wears are supposed to play a role. However, it should be noted that there is no confirmation of these rumors - but it would be cool. Lord Mandalore, creator of the Mandalore battle armor, was recently made part of genuine Star Wars canon recently in the Dark Horse Comics series "The Sith War" - meaning, there may be truth to some of these rumors.
    Here's a google groups link
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.sf.starwars.misc/sg72kq4kKow
    According to True Fan of Star Wars Prequel Watch, Ways of the Force (or
    any similar title) will not be used as the name for Episode I. In
    addition, Episode I was named "Star Wars: Genesis" in order to gain a
    copyright on the script. It is highly unlikely that this will be the
    real title. Also, Episode II was named "Star Wars: Betrayal of the
    Force" in order to gain copyright on that script. None of the actors know
    the names of the films, so it is highly unlikely that any titles out
    there are true.
    The Force.Net was informed by their Lucasfilm source
    that the possibility of the title "Balance of the Force" being used is
    entirely untrue.
    According to a report to the Force.Net from Paul Davidson, "The Clone
    Wars" may be the title for Episode II. This comes from a British
    Magazine called Dream Watch where Producer Rick McCallum reportedly says
    that this is the case.

And here's using the Internet WayBack Machine to this site (which is what I remember reading mid 90s)
    http://www.islandnet.com/~corona/films/details/sw1.html
    Which is quite dead now HOWEVER use this site:
    https://web.archive.org
    and punch in that address and it has captures from 1996 onward!
    https://web.archive.org/web/19961121231528/http://www.islandnet.com/~corona/films/details/sw1.html

March 29, 1996... One of our readers girlfriend's sister's friends (you see how rumors get started?) was apparently cast as the child version of Jennifer Jason Leigh's character in Dolores Claiborne. When the girl was asked what movie she may be working on next, she cryptically said that she had auditioned for a role in the "new Star Wars movie". Even our source added, "...take this how you will." [Scoop handed in anonymously.]

April 12, 1996... One source from ILM says that Kenneth Brannagh has been signed to star as a young Ben Kenobi, as well as looking to develop parts for Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher to play. Again, nothing official has been announced. [Scoop submitted by Tony Morgan.]
    June 24, 1996... We received an e-mail from someone who claims that George Lucas was in Scotland last week at casting auditions for an actor to portray an "unmasked Boba Fett" who's Vader's right-hand man to assassinate the remainder of the Jedi Knights during the Clone Wars. The auditions were held in a Newport South Wales film school under the premise that the roles were for parts in a "student film". Lucas reportedly watched the auditions in the room next door via a video camera linked in with audtions to avoid dectection. But isn't Fett supposed to meet Vader for the first time in the Empire film? [Scoop info handed in anonymously.]
    And it goes on and on...

This whole bit may be what I was remembering

Finally, the following plot sketch is as much as could be offered: ep. 1: Kenobi, depicted in a light somewhat similar to that of Luke in ep.'s 4 and 5, is a restless jedi knight who becomes infatuated with the boy Anakin and undertakes to take him under his wing. The film focuses very much on their close relationship, and they eventually team to help end the Mandalore threat. Yoda makes a brief appearance, and is defied by his pupil Kenobi. The film is cast as a dark counterpart to ep. 4, with much of the rousing spaceadventure colored by dark foreshadowing of what lies ahead. Ep. 2 begins to bring the disintegration of the Republic to the forefront, and Kenobi and Skywalker are re-teamed on a mission whose success may help restore order to the galaxy. The film parallels Ep.5 and ends ambiguously, the "mission" devolving into the first confrontation between Kenobi and Skywalker, instigated by an as-yet unknown force. Finally, Ep. 3, which is as yet not as fully developed as 2 and certainly not as much as the drafted Episode 1, will introduce Vader, the Emperor, and Boba Fett, and climax with the safe escape of Anakin's child(ren) from Imperial forces.The source refuses to disclose more, for fear not only of his job security but also of ruining a potentially great experience for many. He assures that what is conveyed above does not even begin to hint at the fullness of the experience that fans should experience come 1999. Lucas, it has been revealed, has deliberately added fuel to the fire of many rumors which, even when true, he considers dreadfully obvious "revelations," and he intends to really defy the expectations of both die-hard and casual fans, as well as complete neophytes. The one major sticking point, I might add, is the middle ground between eps. 2 and 3. Lucas is considering possible ways he can preserve continuity in the series by keeping the origins of Vader a mystery--that is, to not ruin the Vader revelation in Ep. 5 for new fans who Lucas wants to experience the eventual nonology sequentially. The Leia/Luke connnection is apparently not as great a concern." [

One thing here is the one thing that turned out to be kinda true is a line mentioning the "proposed third trilogy in 2010". I guess if you sling enough lies you hit something!

"Hello again. I wrote yesterday concerning some of the plot details of the new starwars trilogy, and I now have just a few more tidbits to pass on. The source a at lfl informs that Lucas is "100% sure" that 20th century fox will be granted the distribution rights to all three new movies, and any agreement will likely include a proviso covering the rights to the proposed third trilogy--which the source is convinced will be made and will begin to be released around 2010. Frank Darabont is not only a confirmed screenwriter on the ep.1 project, but is also tentatively the front-runner to direct ep.2, which is expected to be more character-driven, again paralleling the sequence of the original trilogy. No theories as to what may lie in store for ep.3. As conveyed earlier, the source reaffirms that Lucas' biggest hangup at the moment concerns the transformation of Anakin into Vader, which will be dealt with either at the close of ep. 2 or in ep.3. The rationale apparently is not only that lucas wants fans to be able to view the whole series of films sequentially from 1 to 9, but also that only three characters are to have direct knowledge of Anmakin's fall--Kenobi, the Emperor, and Yoda. The Mandalore-armored troopers are confirmed for ep.1, likewise the introduction of Boba Fett for ep.3, and I asked the source about the interesting rumor I read on your site about the Boba Fett doll with Anakin's features beneath it. As it turns out, the Madalore enemies will not be vanquished in ep.1, just as the Empire was not vanquished in ep.4, but their immediate threat to the republic will be repelled. Ep.2 will find the Republic-Mandalore conflict still in place some ten years later, and the figure MAY indicate that Lucas is planning to have the older Anakin infiltrate the Mandalore forces, much as Luke and Han dressed up as stormtroopers in ep.4 and Luke goes undercover as an imperial guard in Shadows. That is merely speculation, and my own prediction is that this suggests (considering what was conveyed to me earlier about the central twist of ep.2, the Anakin-Kenobi confrontation), that Anakin may take advantage of his incognito status to strike against Kenobi, having been corrupted in some way by this point, and Kenobi may unwittingly send his pupil into the lava pit mentioned in the ep. 6 novelization, only to see Anakin's face as he sinks to his "death." Or perhaps my vision is a bit too melodramatic--I guess that's why I'm not the screenwriter.

Interesting side-note: Lucas has reportedly expressed his interest in seeing the fabled Journal of the Whills printed in book form around the time of the release of the last episode. Why is it being discussed now? Because Lucas apparently envisions a tome of literally Biblical proportions (perhaps intended for die-hards only) that will chronicle ALL the major events of the SW universe comprehensively, much moreso than K.Anderson's epic. Lucas wants to begin contracting a large number of writers and artists to work on this project, which Lucas envisions as an elaborate mythological history in book form with majestic illustrations. At which point, Lucas MAY say, the SW universe is officially closed! and the saga may be brought to its end." [Scoop reported anonymously.]

I'm seriously not lying, that final line about the SW Universe as officially closed has been at the back of my brain for over 2 decades. Kinda blew my mind as a teenager and it stuck.

10. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Oh god I wish that had happened! Imagine if he had had that written and canonized! Everything would be right with the world!

11. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    The Star Wars Insider magazines from the mid-90s had some articles on the development of the prequels.

I remember one, from '94 I want to say, that talked about how the clone army would consist of "Boba Fett clones". The article was titled "A Bunch'a Boba" if I recall. (I had that phrase stuck in my head for many years :p)

So when I saw AotC I had that aspect a little bit spoiled, but I was satisfied with how the premise was ultimately executed. Much better than the vague and primitive early rough ideas. And yes, The nature of the article was intentionally somewhat vague.

12. Darth Bridge 167

Darth Bridge 167 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2017
    I found an old 'Cinescape' Magazine from February 1996.

They have various speculation articles about the PT from EU writers:

Timothy Zahn, "I hope to see the fall of Anakin Skywalker. I also want to learn the specifics of the Clone Wars, how the Jedi were exterminated and, most of all, how the Emperor missed Luke and Leia."

Kathy Tyers who also wrote one of the EU novels, "The logical thing we all expect is to find out about Luke's mother and father, and how Anakin got to be Darth Vader. But because that is the expectation, if I were Lucas I would do something that gives the information you want but in a whole different way then the fans tend to expect."

Also they list Episode 1 as coming out in 1998, which was pretty interesting to read.

13. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    I got my prequel spoiler info from supershadow.

14. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    FLAMESABER.

15. Darth Bridge 167

Darth Bridge 167 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2017
    Do you remember he claimed that we would see a Yellow Suited Darth Vader in ROTS? He stood by that rumor from 2003-05! [face_laugh]

16. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I remember one member (I think it was here) who said s/he had insider info that Obi-Wan had a cyborg torso underneath his robes.

IHeartKenobi89 likes this.
  17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Haha, those read-ups were great. I do actually remember that in 2010, rumours of a new trilogy did start to surface.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    IHeartKenobi89 and Darth Caliban like this.
  18. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    GOD, I remember all those rumors - Mandalorians being the "clones" in the Clone Wars, Branagh as Kenobi, Leonardo DiCaprio as Anakin, Yoda was always on Dagobah, Anakin and Kenobi BOTH being in love with the queen which would lead to their fallout, OB-1 being a clone designation - i.e. most Jedi's were clones, Kenobi's ship was the Millenium Falcon, Vader's mask would initially cover only part of his head, Anakin WAS a navigator on a ship and they got hooked up with Obi-Wan, who took Anakin as his Jedi apprentice.

19. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    God help me but I think that I used old fashioned copy pasting of yahoo chats from the mid 1990s when TPM was first rumoured to be released so I have probably got a VERY comprehensive collection of the speculation and leaks. In print.

Let me know if you want me to upload (and where and how).

20. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Was it not the inspiration for that particular scene in Zack and Miri? It was a powered/motorized something under the robes...

21. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I recently picked up a compendium book from the New York Times which captured everything they ever printed about Star Wars right up to the TFA. There are some interesting bits in there. What was more interesting was how their debut article on Star Wars, which was written during production gave zero ***** about spoilers.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Could have been? I found the idea of Obi-Wan as part machine/part man quite amusing but secretly was sold on the idea.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Man, to have been alive and able to remember all this would have been great.

24. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The late nineties was the beginning of my party years so....

25. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    It was a great time to be alive. I fondly remember these years.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk