main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Resistance Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Ancient Whills, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-resistance-set-for-fall-debut
    [​IMG]

This fall, welcome to the Resistance!

StarWars.com is thrilled to announce that production has begun on Star Wars Resistance, an exciting new animated adventure series about Kazuda Xiono, a young pilot recruited by the Resistance and tasked with a top-secret mission to spy on the growing threat of the First Order. It will premiere this fall on Disney Channel in the U.S. and thereafter, on Disney XD and around the world.

Featuring the high-flying adventure that audiences of all ages have come to expect from Star Wars, Star Wars Resistance — set in the time prior to Star Wars: The Force Awakens — will feature the beloved droid BB-8 alongside ace pilots, colorful new characters and appearances by fan favorites including Poe Dameron and Captain Phasma, voiced by actors Oscar Isaac and Gwendoline Christie, respectively.

The series was created by renowned Lucasfilm Animation veteran Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels); executive-produced by Athena Portillo (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels), Justin Ridge (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) and Brandon Auman (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles); and art-directed by Amy Beth Christenson (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels).

“The idea for Star Wars Resistance came out of my interest in World War II aircraft and fighter pilots” said Filoni. “My grandfather was a pilot and my uncle flew and restored planes, so that’s been a big influence on me. There’s a long history of high-speed racing in Star Wars, and I think we’ve captured that sense of excitement in an anime-inspired style, which is something the entire team has been wanting to do for a long time.”

Marc Buhaj, senior vice president, Programming and general manager, Disney XD, said, “Our colleagues at Lucasfilm have created a compelling narrative for an untold moment in the Star Wars galaxy, and we are excited to partner with them again on this new original series. Star Wars Resistance will bring viewers across generations an engaging story with heart, humor and both new and familiar characters.”

In addition to Isaac and Christie, the voice cast includes actors Christopher Sean (Days of Our Lives), Suzie McGrath (East Enders), Scott Lawrence (Legion), Myrna Velasco (Elena of Avalor), Josh Brener (Silicon Valley), Donald Faison (Scrubs), Bobby Moynihan (DuckTales), Jim Rash (Community), and Rachel Butera (Tammy’s Tiny Tea Time).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    whostheBossk, V-2, Sudooku and 11 others like this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Interesting! Donald Faison is in it, so I hope that means Gary the Stormtrooper. :p

The 2D animation is a surprise. It's probably a good thing, as that allows them to play around with enviroments and characters more.
    I'm a little disappointed that the story is set so close to TFA, as well as the fact that it most likely won't follow up on the Rebels finale, and not have any Force users.
    Still really excited though!
    And... it premieres in the fall, so that's really soon! [face_dancing]

3. PongKrell

PongKrell Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2016
    Is it definitely 2D? BB-8 and the X-wing look 3D to me.

Either way I love the look, hopefully it's more in the vein of 2D Clone Wars than TCW and Rebels... really stylised, out there action.

TX-20 likes this.
  4. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Well Resistance has been rumored for a long while so I'm not at all surprised. As for 2D animation, I'm not against since I also like FoD animation but I wonder if they will ever come back to 3D animation. Also, it's coming in fall, so not that much a wait actually. That means they have been working on it for a while already.

KamenSentaiMetalHero and Snafu55 like this.
  5. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    Wasn't expecting this today. No fan fare no buildup a complete surprise to be sure but a welcome one. This sounds like it could be potentially fun and a different idea. I imagine the Lucasfilm Red Tails would also be an influence on this which admitedly didn't do well for some people. The pilots were fan favourites back in the day so I'm sure that will please people especially if Wedge appears or Snap Wexley. Also hoping to see Hera there as a mentor and teacher to the main character like a teacher at a flight academy which she is said to be doing in canon following Rebels if I'm not mistaken?

Only familiar with some of the cast but I'm sure they'll do well. Glad to see Isaac and Christie on board and I hope this is a way for them to expand their characters and the galaxy prior to the Force Awakens in general.

Hope it won't be too long before we get a proper first look at it.

Hopeless and Snafu55 like this.
  6. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Anime............................................................................

I'm alright with this but... I feel like meh

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    While this does seem interesting, I am kind of bummed it doesn't appear to be following what happened with the epilogue to the Rebels series finale.

8. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    One one hand I like the change of not focusing on a Jedi/force users and instead regular man.

However set post RoTJ and so close to TFA is a poor choice when it comes to portraying a series about pilots.

Instead it should have been set during the Galatic Civil War. Return to having a war time series. Sure the marvel comics are about that era, but those are about adventures of the Big 3.

Preferably a series about rebel pilots/soldiers/spies fighting the Empire and even entering post ESB and more about the final year of the war.

With his reference to WW2, what their doing is like focusing on pilots in the years between the World Wars instead of giving us a series about dogfights during WW1 or WW2.

Luke'sSeveredHand and kalzeth like this.
  9. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Since this is about the Resistance then this is at least set 6 years before TFA since it was created in Bloodline. As for anime influence, I love this. Not so excited to follow pilots, I hope it has diverse stories. I also hope to see some familiar faces *cough*Hera*cough* and maybe even a grown up Jacen being part of the Resistance?

10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm 100% on board with anime-inspired Star Wars centered around Resistance and First Order pilots.

11. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Interesting, Amy Beth Christenson as art director? Funnily enough, she was doing Star Wars animation before Star Wars animation was a thing.

12. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Doesn't mean they can't do comics/books about it which is most likely to happen imo.

13. Mandalorian Riddler

Feb 27, 2018
    Looks like sadly, we're gonna get the rebels cliffhanger into books etc, no TV series....

I can't get behind this... it seems like Disney have gone, Child only stuff now Dave.

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    BB8 and that fighter look 3D to me. Though they could be going for a mix.

The Starfighter reminds me of how you could customize your fighters in Star Wars Galaxies.

I wonder if that attachment on the nose is some sort of recon package.

How did you get that out of what was revealed?

Gudenruben2, TX-20 and revan772 like this.
  15. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Nice surprise with the official announcement. Sounds good, not exactly sure how the anime will end up looking but I'm looking forward to this. Real glad they are filling in that time before TFA now.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t see this series lasting that long. The timeline is only 6 years at the most.

17. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    I'm happy it will be set before TFA. Perhaps we'll finally get some Snoke back-story.
    Not really crazy about the anime style, though. They were doing so well with the Clone Wars and Rebels animation. Why get away from that visual style now?

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    My bet? Definitely cheaper.

19. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Well I'm not going to prematurely accuse this new series of targeting only the younger audiences. It just bothers me that they could leave that cliffhanger at the end of Rebels for what could be a very interesting story; and they'll likely use it just to sell a dozen or so comic books.

kalzeth likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    So anyone want to take a shot at how many seasons this show will get?

22. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Clone Wars and Rebels had different art styles.

23. Mandalorian Riddler

Feb 27, 2018
    People won't want that in books, they'll want action and memories not pages for something like that... I have hope Dave has something going... on elsewhere because Ahsoka is his child etc and he loves to get her out there with huge impact but overall... I'm sad that we're doing anime now and kinda ruining daves good run.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    A more stylized animation style could be less expensive, as money doesn't need to be spent on trying to make it look realistic, and it ages really, really well. If you know the Legend of Zelda games, look at the difference between The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

How does this ruin his run? And I'm sure Ahsoka, Ezra, and everything left dangling from the end of Rebels will either be dealt with here, or in a future animated series. No way he's leaving that on the table for someone else to resolve.

25. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    I'm excited. I've enjoyed the other animated SW shows by Filoni. So I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if he finds a way to tie up some loose ends from the previous series. He's actually been really good at that so far.