main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One After Rogue One, what's the best viewing order?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 21, 2016.

1. ralfyman

ralfyman Jedi Padawan

Jan 9, 2018
    OT, then RO, and if you have free time, PT and ST.

2. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    1,2, The Clone Wars, 3, (Hypothetical upcoming Obi Wan movie), Han Solo, Rogue One, 4,5,6,7,8

TadoFett likes this.
  3. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    After TLJ, I can no longer advocate TFA as an entry point. I now see it as...
    • IV-VIII
    • I, II, TCW, III, Rebels, R1
    I think the PT works best when paired with TCW in particular, with Rebels and R1 functioning sort of as "glue" between the PT/TCW and the other five films.

Taylore likes this.
  4. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    IV, V, VI, I, II, III, Rogue One, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII

Watma Rysou likes this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    For maximum confusion I recommend:

Caravan of Courage
    Rogue One
    The Holiday Special
    The Clone Wars (movie)
    The Last Jedi
    The Great Heep (Droids TV "movie")
    The Battle for Endor

6. Kladdagh

Kladdagh Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 9, 2017
    In my opinion ... Episode 1,2,3,R1,4,5,6,7,8 and 9 when it'll be out ...

7. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I'm a huge advocate for watching the original trilogy first. So I would say:

OT
    PT
    Rogue One
    ST

3sm1r likes this.
  8. Clint Bevis

Clint Bevis Jedi Padawan

Jan 16, 2018
    I would watch the canon material like this:

A new hope - an introduction to everything Star Wars
    The Empire Strikes Back - an epic that continues the saga nicely and builds intrigue moving forward
    The Phantom Menace - we pause and go back and fill in history now leaving viewer's in suspense and telling the origin story of Anakin
    Attack of the Clones - Continued Anakin backstory and the beginning of the Clone Wars
    The Clone Wars - This series does a great job of painting a picture of a heroic Anakin and how the galaxy functioned in the republic era
    Revenge of the Sith - The epic fall of Anakin to the dark side
    Rebels - painting a picture of the dark times described by Obi Wan in ep 4
    Rogue One - also painting a picture of the dark times (Han Solo and Obi Wan anthologies can follow along these lines)
    Return of the Jedi - The Saga Wraps up and Anakin's arc comes full-circle as he is redeemed - this order gives more tension to the throne room confrontation and Luke possibly turning and / or taking Vader's place

For me the story is wrapped up there and Ep VII, VIII and IX are a transitional trilogy which will be the beginnings of a new story for the new characters.

9. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    I haven't had a big SW marathon/binge fest since before Disney bought it.

I will say this though. Ever since Rogue One came out, I have seen it three times, and I watched A New Hope immediately afterwards all three times.

PCCViking likes this.
  10. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    For a first timer?

I think I would have to start them with 4-6, then 1-Rouge One, 4-6 again then ST?

May even start with Solo-Rogue One-OT if Solo features Rogue One cameos.

3sm1r likes this.
  11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    For me it’s going to be IV-VIII. I’ll watch Rogue One, Solo, and any other standalone films (Kenobi, Boba Fett, etc.) on their own as supplementary material. The films from the Rian Johnson trilogy and the Benioff/Weiss series will be their own order, so long as I like them enough to rewatch them. The PT I think I’m mostly done with, and I’m not saying that to knock them, they’re just not my cup of tea.

But yeah, the next time I do a big marathon, it’ll be IV-VIII, and IX will cap that off once it’s released.

EDIT: I'm physically incapable of quitting the PT, they're back in my viewing order, and probably episodic order now at that. I can't help it. I'm a slave to Star Wars. In a healthy way.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    I think either:

Episodes 1 to 3, Rogue One and Episodes 4 to 6 and so on.

Or:

Episodes 4 and 5, then Episodes 1 to 3 and Rogue One, then Episode 5 and Episode 6 and so on.

13. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I'm at the point where I like going in basically chronological order, with a few edits. I'd say TPM --> skip AotC/watch TCW highlights --> RotS --> R1 --> ANH --> ESB --> RotJ --> TFA -->| *STOP* (for now, pending IX).

Before R1 I'd say it's better to watch them in order of release. R1 is such a superb bridge between the PT and the ST, that I think it's cool to watch them in order and feel the progression.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    TPM
    AOTC
    TCW highlights
    First 45 minutes of ROTS
    Rebels
    Rogue One
    ANH
    ESB
    ROTJ
    TFA
    The Luke/R2 reunion, Luke/Leia reunion, and Crait scenes of TLJ

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I-V
    TLJ as a fever dream while Luke recovers from confronting Vader
    VI

This way I still get to experience the weirdly entertaining aspects of TLJ despite that overall the film doesn't align well with the Lucas Saga for me.

Togruta likes this.
  16. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Oh wow, I forgot Rebels highlights. That should go before R1. It's actually a great lead-in to that film and a great follow up to RotS.

17. Red Solo

Red Solo Jedi Knight

Jan 9, 2016
    Chronological order with an exception for the Newbies.
    For newbies: IV V VI - I II III RO IV V VI VII VIII

I know where IX will fit and I assume Solo will go after III and before RO.

Watma Rysou likes this.
  18. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Rogue One
    TPM
    The Wrath of Khan

19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    For people who don't like the pulpy silliness of most Star Wars films, Rogue One is actually a really good starter. Those viewers can enjoy it as a really good war film, if not as a Star Wars film.

Sarge and PCCViking like this.
  20. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    My viewing order is the same as it has always been:

There's a clear through-line there that's unaffected by anything made afterwards. Rogue One does not fill a needed gap. The hexology is not the story of the Death Star. I did not need an explanation of the Death Star exhaust port vulnerability - big government incompetence was a perfectly good explanation for me for 40 years.

TCW and Rebels have their own character through-lines and climaxes so I treat them as standalone watching events. I don't feel either deserves to be reduced to a "subplot" or "lead-in" to something else.

Anthology movies (the ones I choose to buy anyway), I'll treat similarly as standalone events.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think the difference is, though, that a) the events of Rogue One have always been referred to directly by the opening crawl of ANH, and b) the ending of Rogue One leads directly into the beginning of ANH.

22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    True. That said, it works perfectly well as a stand-alone film too.

EHT likes this.
  23. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Yep - for me, through-lines are about character journeys. R1 starts and ends Jyn and Company's stories. 4-6 starts and ends Luke's journey. The Death Star is ultimately a very big prop in that story so it isn't a strong enough connective tissue for me to take a detour through R1 while watching 4-6.

24. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Fair enough. For me personally, the movie was integrated enough that I see it as an extension of the Saga more so than a standalone. I guess for me, knowing how we got to the beginning of ANH makes that movie feel bigger then it did pre-R1 and having the history of that movie behind it gives the events more weight. I like to marathon the movies in chronological order annually, which might get really hard to do as more films are added (we're already up to fifteen made or in the works, with the three trilogies, the Clone Wars movie, R1, Solo, and Rian Johnson's upcoming trilogy). I might have to scale back, but I think the shortest version I would do is the nine Saga movies plus R1. Mileage may vary, as always.

25. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I'm watching it in order right now and I have to admit that ROTS does add something to RO which in turn, greatly enhances ANH. My infant nephews will be getting TPM to start with but then a big skip to the OT as ROTS is way too intense until they are much older.