main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Songs of the English Restoration Theater (1660–1715): A No-Deadline Fanfic Challenge!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Findswoman , Apr 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Certainly, @Chyntuck. :) You have received Eccles's wonderful mad-song "Haste, give me wings." The speaker of the song is a young shepherd (who in the play for which the song was composed was played as a "trouser role" by a female singer) driven mad by unrequited love:

Haste, give me wings and let me fly,
    That I may mount the starry sky,
    And there of all the gods enquire
    How I may quench my fierce desire.
    See, see, where the charming nymph does lie;
    Oh! Give her to me, or I die.

I’ll mount above and rescue my love,
    And I’ll tumble the tyrant down,
    He shall not dare to court my fair,
    Though graced with th’imperial crown.
    See! Neptune with his wat’ry train
    Come, come, ye Tritons, all around,
    Come plunge me in the briny main,
    And all my flames confound.

Here's a recording, featuring soprano Tara Bailey-Medina accompanied by Natasha Marin, harpsichord:

Enjoy! :)

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Just in case all the gooey ooey ones haven't all been snatched, could /would @Findswoman please pick /select one for me to write up something nice and SWEET? :D Thanks.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Yes, absolutely. :) There is one left that eminently fits that category: it's no. 16, "I attempt from love's sickness to fly" by Purcell. One of the composer's quintessential and most versatile love songs—it can be sung equally well in a sad, wistful mood or in a coquettish, lighthearted mood. And most definitely mush fodder, as you can see from the text:

I attempt from love's sickness to fly in vain,
    Since I am myself my own fever and pain.
    No more now, fond heart, with pride no more swell;
    Thou canst not raise forces enough to rebel.
    For love has more power and less mercy than fate,
    To make us seek ruin and love those that hate.

A recording by the fabulous Dawn Upshaw:

Hope this does the trick! :D

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Okay, this is going to make me feel like an idiot, but I'm going to ask anyway. I have no idea what I'll Sail Upon the Dog Star is about. I've even tried Google and not much comes up. I know that the Dog Star is Sirius as part of Canis Major. It's the brightest star so I'm going to assume the sail upon it means sail by following it until it disappears, then use the moon until it disappears when the sun starts to come up. Aaanddd that's where I lose it. I mean, I can get bits an pieces but those don't make a cohesive song to me. (It could be I'm misreading things, like to me 'coin the weather' would be to me as in to coin something, like a phrase.)

Help?!

Findswoman likes this.
  5. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    @mavjade, thanks for the questions. :) The thing about your song is that it’s not really “about” any kind of deeper cohesive meaning. It’s simply about the speaker imagining himself* going on a wild, whimsical rampage across the whole breadth and depth of creation, including commanding the elements. In a way it’s kind of a mad song too, though one in a happy, I-can-do-anything sort of vein. To “sail upon the Dog Star” really just means nothing more here than riding it across the sky (think of “Would you like to swing on a star...”), and “pursu[ing]” the morning” and “chas[ing] the moon” are in the same sort of vein, traveling all across the sky from morning to nighttime and back again. The “horning” of the moon relates to the way the crescent moon at this period was said to be “horned,” so the idea of “I’ll make her leave her horning” (leave = stop) is that he’ll command the moon’s phases. You are right about “coin” in “I’ll coin the weather”; it means in this case to create, or to make up—so the speaker is standing atop the “frosty mountain” controlling the weather at will. “Tear[ing] the rainbow from the sky and t[ying] both ends together” is pretty self-explanatory, also just part of the whimsical rampage. “The stars pluck from their orbs too, and crowd them in my budget” is about picking the stars out of the sky and sort of hoarding or collecting them—again, kind of like “carry[ing] moonbeams home in a jar.” (“Budget” at this period just means a leather pouch, usually used for storing coins—so its modern meaning is kind of the figurative version of that.) And of course at the end, “all the nation” is invited to marvel at what an amazing, unstoppable rip-roarer this person is! :D

So yes, I hope that helps make things a little more understandable and less baffling; I know the language of this period doesn’t always “translate” well to the language of ours. If you have any other questions about the song, please feel free to let me know—and that goes for anyone here, of course. @};-

— — —

*Based on the word “boy,” though a female college friend of mine once sang this on one of her recitals; I think she may have changed the word to “girl,” but that’s not a necessity by any means.

mavjade and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] Simply perfect. [face_love] Thanks.

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks Findswoman, that does help! I'm so used to trying to find the meaning in things I didn't even think about it just being what it is.

8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    The story of my life, right there. O_O

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  10. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Golly, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, I just noticed that I somehow never actually added that to the index—but I have now! Whew. Sorry about that! [face_relieved]

And I’m finally making a tiny bit of progress on an entry of my own, I’m happy to say. :)

11. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I should go back to mine...though it's QUITE disturbing.

Findswoman likes this.
  12. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Oh, what the heck....in for a penny, in for a pound. I'll take #10 on the hopes that it will be better then Right Said Fred.

GregMcP and Findswoman like this.
  13. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Excellent! You got Henry Purcell's "Thus the gloomy world at first began to shine," also from The Fairy Queen, and yes, I think you'll find it's very different from Right Said Fred. :p This song recalls a sort of ideal first moment of creation, a primordial time when all of us were what Yoda might call "luminous beings" and not concerned with pride or ambition. One of its distinctive features is its trumpet part, which adds a touch of brilliance that accords well with the luminous imagery of the text. Here are the lyrics:

Thus the gloomy world
    At first began to shine,
    And from the power divine
    A glory round about it hurl'd;
    Which made it bright,
    And gave it birth in light.
    Then were all minds as pure,
    As those ethereal streams;
    In innocence secure,
    Not subject to extremes.
    There was no room then for empty fame,
    No cause for pride, ambition wanted aim.

An absolutely gorgeous recording, sung by tenor Mark Padmore with the London Classical Players (conducted by Sir Roger Norrington):

14. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Okay.
    Number 5.
    Nothing containing ducks, please

15. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Congratulations, @GregMcP, you got the saddest, darkest, most depressing song on this list! :D Number 5 is Dido's Lament, from Henry Purcell's opera Dido and Aeneas (ca. 1688), which is based on the story of the two eponymous mythological characters as told in the Aeneid. This lament is what Dido sings just before she takes her own life out of grief at having been abandoned by Aeneas (who is of course heading off to found Rome). Here are the lyrics, and you will be pleased to note the complete absence of ducks. (The Belinda mentioned here is another character in the opera, Dido's faithful maid.)

Thy hand, Belinda, darkness shades me,
    On thy bosom let me rest,
    More I would, but Death invades me;
    Death is now a welcome guest.

When I am laid in earth, may my wrongs create
    No trouble in thy breast;
    Remember me, but ah! forget my fate.

Video, featuring soprano Anna Dennis performing with the ensemble Voices of Music:

Have fun! :D

Ewok Poet and GregMcP like this.
  16. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Woah. Heavy duty.
    Suicide and despair.
    Abandonment and lost love.

Fun indeed.

Do a bit of Reylo? Maybe not.

Edit:
    I'm reading the plot of the Opera.
    The Queen and Warrior in love, intending to unite their kingdoms of Carthage and Troy.

Evil sorcerers plotting the fall of Carthage by using a Elf pretending to be a messenger from the gods to split the lovers apart.

It's very overwrought with "if you leave me, then will die" melodrama. A bit Anakin and Padme.

Okay. I can do it.
    Go big.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  17. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Yes, all true. But at least it’s really super breathtakingly gorgeous “if you leave me, then I will die” melodrama. Which, if you ask me, is the best kind. :D

Ewok Poet and GregMcP like this.
  18. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    The paintings based on the story are gorgeous.

I will listen to some of the Opera to get the mood. (Can't here are work right now)

"Remember me..."
    I've spent a lunch hour walking and listening.
    How to get that grand emotion into mere words.
    High Baroque Star Wars. A Caravaggio painting.
    I have an angle.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  19. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    AW. YEAH. You had me right here. :D

GregMcP and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
  22. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
  23. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Woohoo! Glad to see another entry coming in, and I've put it in the index. :) Can't wait to see what else we'll get, and of course there are still several other gorgeous songs available for anyone who wants... [face_batting]

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :D I have a question ...
    I fell in love with the lyrics for divapilot's song.

Since she has not posted a fic for it yet, I suppose I cannot use it?

If that is the case, please select a number of a song that's just about as delectable ;) [face_love]

Thanks.

25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Sure, you're welcome to write a story based on her song—anyone is totally welcome to write a story based on any of the songs, whether or not they've been "officially" assigned to someone else. In this case, it'll count as an unofficial/ad-hoc entry, and I'll put it in a separate list in the index (the same approach Pandora and I took in the Celtic Song Challenge). Looking forward to seeing what you've got for us! :)

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.