main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT Greater Good

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by CaraJinn, May 3, 2018.

1. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Title: Greater Good
    Author: CaraJinn
    Era: During the Clone Wars
    Genre: Humor/Romance
    Characters: Anakin Skywalker, Padme Amidala
    Synopsis: Anakin Skywalker and Padme Amidala meets over a cozy dinner and Padme breaks the news that she's pregnant.
    A/N: Written as a response to the Disney Animated Movie Quote Challenge!

Greater Good

Anakin Skywalker felt utterly foolish. It might have something to do with the situation. At the highly dignified age of 21 he shouldn't have had to sneak out from the apartment he shared with his Master Obi-Wan in the Jedi Temple like an unruly kid. Not that he hadn't done that before, though. The difference was that 'before' he had actually been an unruly kid. Now he was a married man and as such he should have been able to go straight to his wife's, no their, apartment by the end of the day. Nor should he have had to sneak into her apartment late in the evening.

Well, he'd got a lot of practice in doing that recently.

He was greeted in the door by C-3PO, the protocol droid he had built all those years back on Tatooine.

"Master Anakin, it's a pleasure to see you. Come in. I will inform Miss Padme that you are here. Please take a seat," the droid said, with all his built in politeness and friendliness.

"I managed to bring this over myself," Anakin sighed quietly, following the droids advice. He knew fully well that following the -well- protocol was the easiest way to get rid of the talkative and meddling droid.

"Anakin, you're here! I'm so glad to see you."

His beautiful wife beamed towards him, and threw herself in his arms, all soft skin, unruly chestnut curls and a broad smile.

"I was sort of hoping you would drop by this evening," she said with a teasing smile, "so Threepio has been out fetching some dinner for us."

Surely he had. The table was ready with candles and sparkling glass and plates. The soup smelled deliciously, and so did the main course. After living on ration bars for the last week, he almost drooled by the smell of it. It tasted just as wonderfully as it smelled.

They were half-way through the dessert, a rich flavored baked fruit with blue ice, when Padme looked up at him.

"Anakin," there was a slight tremor in her voice, "I have something to tell you. Something important."

"Oh, what is it?"

She had seemed so happy the entire evening but now she somehow looked like a forlorn child, and it made his heart twist in agony. He couldn't stand seeing her nervous or unhappy. She was his Padme, his angel, and she should always be happy and smiling, at least if he could help it.

"It's…I…we…," she stopped for a moment, and he took her hand over the table.

"What is it? You are making me nervous."

"Anakin, we are…I am…we are going to be parents in eight months from now."

She stared anxiously at him over the table. Except the table wasn't there anymore. In his eagerness to take her in his arms and just hold her tight, he sprang forward, the table tilted over and the floor was covered with the remainders of the food, including droplets of soup and small pieces of fruit.

"What??? We are, I mean you are…are you sure?"

"Yes. Yes I am. Are you…happy, Anakin?"

"Happy? Of course I'm happy. This is wonderful. I'm going to be a dad. I will teach her to jump and run and duel and…"

"Her? You mean him?" Padme interjected, clearly amused by her husbands enthusiasm.

"Her!" He stated determinedly. "I'm sure it will be a girl with her mothers beautiful brown eyes and dark curls." And by that he scooped her up in his arms with a steady course for the bedroom.

"Oh, no, Master Anakin, what have you done now?" Threepio's exasperated sigh was almost human when he entered the dining room and saw the mess 'Master Anakin' had created. Then he called for a cleanbot. After all it was below his dignity to do housecleaning.

….

'beep-beeep-beeeeeeep'

Anakin turned in bed and tried to pull the pillow over his head to keep the annoying sound away.

'beep-beeep-beeeeeeep'

Oh, no! It was his commlink and he didn't even need the Force to know who was calling him at this time of the day, well night, actually. He jumped out of bed and set off for the table where his comm had ended up the evening before, and immediately found his legs entangled in the bedsheets, resulting in a less than dignified dive onto the floor.

'beep—beeep-beeeeeeep'

He managed to free himself and finally reached his commlink.

"Yes, Master. No, Master. I just needed some fresh air. What? You mean now? Yes, Master, I'll be back in a moment."

He switched off the comm and turned to find his clothes that had been scattered over the entire floor. A rather sleepy Padme looked up at him from her bedsheets which miraculously still seemed neat and almost without a wrinkle.

"What was it, Anakin? Or maybe I shouldn't ask - I heard who it was," she said drowsily.

"You're right," he sighed, "I'm sorry. I would have liked to stay. So very, very much. But it seems I have to leave you for the greater good again."

"'Greater good'? I am your wife! I'm the greatest good you are ever gonna get!"

Her voice had a teasing undertone now, clearly trying to make his departure less sad, and without skipping a beat he looked at her still slim waistline before answering: "…and even greater will you be, in about 7 months."

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Lovely teasing and euphoric tone with a bittersweet edge because of having to be secretive -- A/P are absolutely in character. =D=

Lady_Misty, CaraJinn and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Awww... this was so sweet! I love the look at the happier times they had! It's so sweet to see Anakin so excited about a baby, though kinda bittersweet.

Great job!

4. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Adorable. And the Disney line was super - "super"? [face_laugh] - obvious.

Raise your hand if you read that with Mrs. Frozone's voice. Be honest now, people. :D:p

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hah! :D Really enjoyed this glimpse of A/P at such a happy, sweet, even playful moment—this is a much sweeter pregnancy reveal scene than the one we got in ROTS, by far. Their banter about what kind of baby they’ll have is so adorable—little do they know they’re BOTH right! :p And wonderful use of that quote; yep, Anakin’s “greatest good” is only going to get greater from here on out! ;) Thanks sharing this very fun and sweet contribution to the challenge. =D=

6. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I love it!

I think you managed your quote well. :)

I'm embarrassed to admit I initially missed the quote and couldn't figure it out until I saw a review then went back and managed to find it.

CaraJinn and Findswoman like this.
  7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    This was very good, and a nice slice of life for this pairing.

I liked all of it, Anakin sneaking out of his jedi apartment; sneaking into the one he shared with Padme, and although I would have thought Threepio would know that, now I think about it, to stop an inadvertent word from the droid to other people, you probably wouldn't want him knowing.

I did not understand Anakin's comment to Threepio, about "I managed to bring this over myself"; was there more to that?

Good descriptions of the meal, and Anakin's inner turmoil over his wife's emotive states, and his reactions to the good news.

Due to my lack of imagination with hair descriptions, the bit that resonated most was yours for Padme:

Great piece. Well done. =D=

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  8. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Great response to the challenge! How like Anakin to leave the best thing he has to go off to help the "greater good." But what a treasure to leave behind, Padme, with her beauty and kindness. I like that double meaning at the end:

Of course she will be "greater" in about seven months! He's lucky he didn't get a swat for teasing a pregnant wife about her upcoming size!

Nicely done, CaraJinn!

9. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Nice job again!! Love how all your stories are funny and adorable... definitely laughed and smiled more than once [face_love]

CaraJinn likes this.