main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books “Flight of the Falcon” Book Series to Debut this Fall

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, May 8, 2018.

1. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    https://www.starwars.com/news/exclusive-new-flight-of-the-falcon-book-series-to-debut-this-fall
    Exclusive: New “Flight of the Falcon” Book Series to Debut this Fall
    Take a ride on the Millennium Falcon in a new series that connects all Star Wars eras for new adventures with Lando, Han, Hondo and more!
    She may not look like much, but the Millennium Falcon has got it where it counts. And this fall, StarWars.com can exclusively announce that kids of all ages will get the chance to climb aboard and make the jump to hyperspace with a new series of stories, “Flight of the Falcon,” from Lucasfilm Publishing.

Landing at a docking bay or bookseller near you in time for Star Wars Reads in October, the series of books and comics about the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy will help connect different eras of Star Wars storytelling through the adventures aboard the beloved ship. Each fiction title will include a map to trace the literal flight path and help readers understand the time and place where each story is set.[​IMG]

Bazine Natel, the spy seen on Takodana in The Force Awakens, is on the hunt for the Falcon, and her intel leads her across the galaxy to Batuu, a remote outpost on the galaxy’s edge. In order to find the Falcon, Bazine must learn all she can about the infamous YT-1300 freighter—the ship that countless bounty hunters and Imperials have almost caught over the years.

“These tales take us from a time just before Solo: A Star Wars Story, when Lando and L3 had the Falcon, through the original trilogy, and into the new trilogy, ending on the incredible world of Batuu,” says Michael Siglain, Creative Director, Lucasfilm Publishing.. The series will launch with a book by New York Times bestselling author Justina Ireland and the extraordinary illustrations of artist Annie Wu with Star Wars: Lando’s Luck, a middle grade novel aboard Lando’s pristine version of the ship.

[​IMG]

Among the other stories will be an installment from the new Star Wars: Choose Your Destiny line of choose-your-own-adventure tales. In A Luke and Leia Adventure, written by Cavan Scott with art by Elsa Charretier, the twins must steal the Falcon for a top secret mission. And in Star Wars: Pirate’s Price, written by Lou Anders with art by Annie Wu, the ship will be back in the hands of Han and Chewie, when the pair teams up with one of the most nefarious (and fan-favorite) smugglers in the galaxy—Hondo Ohnaka.

The books are aimed at middle grade readers, ages 8-12, but perfect for anyone who loves a good Star Wars story.

Check back on StarWars.com soon to learn more about the “Flight of the Falcon” series, Star Wars Reads, and other cool new titles.

2. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    I may be wrong but i think batuu is the new world in disney world so good tie in that you can go to the place ya read about

3. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    That is correct. Batuu is also set to appear in the upcoming Thrawn: Alliances novel.

4. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    I did not know it was going to turn up in Thrawn:Alliances ! this world may be more important than i first thought !

5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The Bazine link is interesting. Though I was kind of hoping it was going to cover the years in between ROTJ and TFA when Han lost it.

Also, I feel like they don't need to push Batuu so much. It's going to sell out even if it's not put in a few books that 1% of the public will read.

6. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    Was it ever confirmed who Bazine was working for in her short story ? and could it be the same person sending her on this mission ?

7. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Looked up that game and it looks like it got just roasted by the gaming critics. Got a 2 out of 10 score for one. A 4 out of 10 for another and 5 out of 10 was the best score I saw for it.

9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Dude...that's not the point :p. I just posted the image because the titles are the same and it reminded me of the game.

10. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    It says that one of the instalments will be a "choose your own adventure" book? How can that be canon?

11. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    One of the paths will be canon - the one that results in the Rebels saving the day, probably.

DarthJaceus and SilentGuy66 like this.
  12. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I've heard in the audio version of the story her contact sounds suspiciously like Kylo Ren, but never listened to it so I couldn't say. That being said, even though it was invented after her short story, it would make sense for her to be working for the First Order Security Bureau. I could see Terex being interested in getting the ship.

In any case, the Bazine story was one of the better of the short stories we've gotten since the reboot, so I'm interested to see the Bazine character get developed more.

BobaMatt and lordpixie like this.
  13. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    I’m going to be getting the recently released Han & Chewie “Choose Your Destiny” book on Thursday and plan to start a thread on here to come to a consensus on what we think the most likely canon path is. We can do the same in the fall when this one shows up! Yay for group activities!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarthJaceus and SilentGuy66 like this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    SW multiverse!

15. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    One of the wrong choices causes Legends to happen.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    ColeFardreamer and Sarge like this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The ST era one piques my interest the most, admittedly. Something to look forward to, though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    First of all, that illustration of Lando is incredible.

Second of all - this is really cool! Especially if Hondo's going to be in it! But I wish we got to see what the ship was up to in RotS.

DarthJaceus and Darth_Duck like this.
  18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I played that game back in the day.

19. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    I haven't seen any discussion of the recently released Luke & Leia Choose Your Destiny book, so I'll revive this thread..
    This one's a bit less variable than the Han & Chewie one. I only identified 16 paths to the good ending, and most of the variation was just in the length of a few dialogue scenes. Han & Chewie had 36 viable paths with actually different scenes. (There are a TON of less-good outcomes, so it's not like it's on rails.)
    Like last time, I won't do a summary because I don't want to ruin it, but I will put the decision path I think is most likely canonical at the end.
    But first a few notes!
    -I'm choosing to place this in the gap between Mutiny at Mon Cala and Hope Dies. Luke is still flying under Commander Narra in Red Squadron, the Falcon is based on Home One, and the Alliance seems pretty well organized, so it feels like a pre-Mako Ta setting. But I don't think it's too soon after Yavin. Han's fairly open at the end about caring about Luke & Leia, and Luke's Force skills are fairly well developed. Both feel like some time has passed.
    -Speaking of Luke's Jedi-ing, I'm pretty sure this is the first instance of a successful mind trick! Have we seen Luke actually pull this off on anyone before Bib Fortuna in canon? I know we've seen him fail a few times. I didn't expect it to come before Dagobah.
    -Neat one-off reference: when discussing non-Imperial groups that use TIE fighters, Leia mentions the Mining Guild and "the Forgesmiths of Matterhelm," which Luke notes are both loyal to the Empire. The Forgesmiths are never brought up again, but daaaang is that a cool name that I hope someone picks up on later.
    -Leia is able to calm a giant crab and does alright with a lightsaber in one scene, so we get a little bit of her Force sensitivity coming through.
    -Here's my suggested path! Others who have the book feel free to argue. 1, 20, 36, 38, 26, 7, 58, 40, 13, 10, 42, 98, 76, 53, 44, 72, 48, 84, 106, 51, 85, 77, 69, 62, 82, 65, 54, 94, 120, 130, 110, 91, 126, 122, 115, 102, 78.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    BIG bump! I finally got around to the last two books in this series, Lando's Luck and Pirate's Price. They were both very fun, both authors did a great job, though lol having read LL after Ireland's High Republic books I guess she has a thing for female politicians with rebellious daughters. Anything Hondo is great, so half a book from his perspective was immensely fun.

Having read all the stories now I can say it's a fun loose series. Not the strongest connective tissue but it was worth it for some of the stories, especially those two books.

21. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    @Todd the Jedi

Check out the Audiobook version of Hondo if you can, hilarious and even makes it better! And he does sing!

22. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    This is a challenging story to place timeline-wise. In some ways this feels like a companion piece to The Weapon of a Jedi - Luke and Wedge are both still Lieutenants and still flying under Narra in Red Squadron - but his Force powers are significantly farther along than they would be at that early point in the timeline (along with the mind trick, something Luke's still having trouble with as of shortly after ESB, Luke almost casually uses the Force to telekinetically call his lightsaber to him). That gap between Mutiny at Mon Cala and Hope Dies does seem like the best place to drop it since it does look like Luke is flying with Red Squadron again, although Luke's rank could be an issue. We don't know when or if he's promoted to Lieutenant Commander - does his promotion to Commander after Mako-Ta just bypass that rank altogether? Wedge, meanwhile, is a Lieutenant Commander at 18 months after Yavin, per Lost Stars, which is most likely after Mako-Ta.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh my, I don't envy Jim Cummings having to keep up that voice that long, but kudos to him for the commitment.