main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Aliens, Hunters, Pirates & Justin Bailey: Metroid [General Discussion]

Discussion in 'Community' started by darklordoftech, Jul 2, 2013.

1. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    The announcement of MP4 was exciting, but seeing Samus Returns blew my mind.

Metroid 2 was the first game I became obsessed with as a kid. It wasn't the first game I played, but I credit it as the one that made me a gamer.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I still pull out my original M2 save file every now and then a d proceed to kill the Queen for old times sake.

The visual depth design for the remake to take advantage of the 3D is quite interesting (they've also released the trailer in 3D for download off of the eShop),going by the Treehouse demo footage. The environmental designs lose the desolate feel of the original's rock caverns and black backgrounds but does make SR-388 look more like the former homeworld of the Chozo that it's supposed to be, so that's a change I can't really complain about.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I noticed this in Zero Mission as well. In original and Super Metroid, Zebes is very dark, but in Zero Mission it's bright and cheery.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Part of it is the style of each title, I suppose. The NES went for a very high-contrast visual design to enhance the creepiness of the game and the sequel followed suit (albeit with more detailed sprites on lower-powered hardware).

I never really played Zero Mission much, so I can't directly compare the two.

5. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Considering Metroid Prime/Dark Samus is definitely dead after Corruption, I wonder if they're actually planning to resurrect her somehow for MP4. Or instead go the Halo route and move away from what the title is actually referring to.

Life likes this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Does anyone have Samus Returns?

8. SensationalSean

Dec 19, 2014
    I do, I've played about 3 hours and it's great!

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    A very interesting video that compares the two remakes of Metroid II, provides a well-argued defence of the original version and some deserved criticism of Samus Returns' more misguided tweaks, suggesting that the two remakes have either profoundly misunderstood or decided to deliberately ignore what the original was going for artistically.

10. Phasmus

Phasmus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2018
    Considering Metroid is my life, totally subbing this. :D

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
  12. Phasmus

Phasmus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2018
    ^ That was a great video. Thanks for sharing @Ichor_Razor :D

Ichor_Razor likes this.
  13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The Zero Mission manual says that the Federation found the Space Pirate base on Zebes "after a desparate search", yet also says that Samus was grew on Zebes. Why did the Federation have to search for Zebes if Samus was already familiar with it?

14. SensationalSean

Dec 19, 2014
    Maybe the coordinates were lost? I don't pay much attention to the lore outside the games!

This excellent series of videos analyzes the series starting with the first:

15. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I would also recommend KingK's analysis videos, which I find superior, as an alternative take. However, he has only covered the Prime trilogy and AM2R as of yet.

SensationalSean likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll have to check those video series out. About 10 years ago, Game Trailers did an outstanding retrospective series on Metroid. Only slightly outdated now, but it was worth saving the files.

I don't know the manga (or any Other M provided info) backstory, but one could speculate that the Space Pirates have multiple systems/planets and, though Samus may have been aware of the Space Pirate presence on Zebes, it took the search to find and verify that the base was on Zebes.

Alternatively, I'm assuming the part you're quoting is in reference to locating where they took the stolen Metroid from the original game's opening backstory. So, perhaps the pirates have multiple bases (as we know they do- Tallon IV, for example) and the search was necessary to find out which base the Metroid had been taken to.

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    For those who got all the Chozo Memories in Samus Returns:

I wonder if the evil Chozo are the masterminds of everything in Metroid. Maybe they created Kraid, Ridley, and the Space Pirates, created Mother Brain to sabatoge the good Chozo, and are behind the Federation's villainous turn in Other M and Fusion.

In the Manga, the Chozo and Mother Brain raise Samus on Zebes and create the Metroids during this time. When Samus is already an adult (but before the events described in the Metroid 1 manual), the Space Pirates invade Zebes and the Chozo summon Samus to stop the invasion, but she fails and the Chozo are wiped out with the exception of Gray Voice, who seems to side with the Space Pirates. Mother Brain reveals herself to be creator and secret leader of the Space Pirates and the Space Pirates make Zebes their base. Mother Brain asks Samus to join her, Ridley, and Gray Voice, but Samus refuses. Eventually, Gray Voice reveals that he was pretending to side with the Space Pirates and attacks Mother Brain, but fails and dies, seemingly bringing the Chozo race to an end. The Manga ends with the events of Metroid 1, but instead of the Federation searching for the Space Pirates as described in the manual, Samus volunteers as soon as she hears that the Space Pirates have a Metroid.

Zero Mission is a remake of Metroid 1 inspired by the manga. Here's the manual of Zero Mission:
    http://metroid.retropixel.net/gallery.php?gallery_id=mzm_manual&image_id=4

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  18. SensationalSean

Dec 19, 2014
    GT's retrospectives were amazing ... luckily they're all still available on YouTube!

I'm actually playing through Other M for the first time, having attempted to do so twice since its release and having been put off both times by the voice acting and stiffness of the narrative (and its impact on the gameplay). I love the movement and much of the combat, but the environments are dull and I don't feel any real urge to explore. Also ...

... Adam waited until I was right at the end of the volcano area to authorize the use of the Varia Suit - what a clueless jerk. The whole authorization element is so silly and takes me out of the game completely.

Life and The2ndQuest like this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I still need to get around to picking up a copy of Other M while there are still new copies in rotation. Just for completeness sake.

I saved the original QT files back then, since YT wasn't a reliable archive at the time.

SensationalSean likes this.
  20. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I loved the Timeline project they did for Zelda. I saw they did one for Kingdom Hearts as well but haven't seen any others. I was hoping for a Metroid one.

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    For those who beat Other M:
    Do you think the original Ridley started out as a "little birdie" or do you think that "little birdie" and "mystery creature" were results Ridley's genes getting mixed and scrambled?

22. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I remember liking Machinima's retrospective series too at the time. Dunno if they can still be found. Just saw the first couple episodes of GT's retrospective, and they were good indeed. Other than that, amateur creators have made a lot of high quality content in recent years. The Gaming Historian is an amateur channel that has become amazing at creating trivia videos. I highly recommend his documentary about Alexey Pajitnov and the development of Tetris. It's an hour long! Fascinating and well researched.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if Ridley came to Earth in ancient times, and if that inspired the concept of dragons.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ridley probably didn't exist in ancient times- and there's never been any indication of "ancient alien"-type lore in Metroid that I've encountered (except maybe Chozo?).

25. SensationalSean

Dec 19, 2014
    I know that feeling. I got my copy for about $10 not too long after it was released!