main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph SyFy's Krypton

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Mar 31, 2018.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    As promised, a thread for the show. It deserves better than being mired in whatever **** fest/neverending death spiral about Jonathan Kent's ethics and the casting of Ares is constantly being resurrected in the DCEU thread.

So I'll probably break out a new thread for Krypton if enough people are watching it, but if not, I'll keep it in here.

Second episode. As is usually the case, benefits from not being the pilot. Outstanding storytelling and acting, and exactly what I was looking for. They're not shoehorning Braniac into the story right away, instead keeping him a bit more mysterious and looming, even though we got the brief shot of him last week. Loved the fight with Jayna Zod, and the dynamic between her and her mother. Really impressed this week - hope the show continues to grow as the stakes continue to get higher.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, I definitely think that the Voice of Rao is Brainiac (or Brainiac-adjacent) now, given the reveal he's already there on Krypton already...

... and that beatdown from Zod and approval from mommy was awesome.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's probably a Brainiac probe. The Voice of Rao.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Interesting - I never picked up on the Rao/Braniac thing. I imagine if he's not the entity himself, he's somehow a pawn - especially as he was the one who pushed Seg towards the Science Guild, which will likely allow Braniac to hone in on some of Val's tech. I really enjoyed that conversation with Val, too - reminded me some of the first interaction on Earth between Kal and Jor in MoS, which I found to be a strong point in the film. Phantom Zone likely will play a large role in how this first season plays out.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Barristan Selmy does make everything better...

heels1785 likes this.
  6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    IIRC, according to the "New Krypton" era of stories, there was a Religious Guild that existed on Krypton. But I don't recall a Voice of Rao figure. But they did worship the Flamebird. Given the timing of everything, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a probe or an agent of some sort.

heels1785 likes this.
  7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    sin, what are your thoughts on the show so far?

holy crap. i didn't even realize that was the guy from GoT - feel free to mock me.

yeah, i liked him a lot, and so far a lot on this show too.

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It's okay for what it is trying to do. I do like that it is using a hybrid of the different Kryptons since there isn't a single unified version. Setting it in Seg-El's era works since it doesn't trample on anything and the character is basically one-note, having only been used during the "World Of Krypton" series that Byrne and Mingola worked on. It's also fine that it doesn't connect to the CW shows, since the Legends would get their asses handed to them by Brainiac and the issues would be resolved before long anyway. Still not sure why they're relying on Adam Strange. I get that he's traveled to other worlds, but Booster Gold would be more fitting due to the time travel angle.

heels1785 likes this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Brainiac's on Supergirl...

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Brainiac isn't Brainiac

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    What? Could you clarify?

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    They're all Brainiac. Just some are good and some are evil... Brainiac 5 is roughly the same intellect, just a member of the LSH...

Brainiac is Brainiac.
    Brainiac isn't Brainiac.
    d-s = Sp

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    They are all different people who share the title of Brainiac. Vril Dox is not the same as Querl Dox, other than being related to each other and sharing similar intellect.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    @heels1785 -- WHAT IN THE HELL JUST HAPPENED ON KRYPTON!?!?

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    went to bed early last night and dvr'ed it - i'll get back to you as soon, broski

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    WHY ARE YOU POSTING, GO WATCH KRYPTON!!!

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    dp, I finally caught up on Krypton today.

I’m absolutely hooked. Glad we already know Season 2 is confirmed.

Master_Rebado, Luke02 and dp4m like this.
  18. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Please make a Krypton only thread; the show is great.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    How's Krypton on SyFy?

Master_Rebado and heels1785 like this.
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Very good. Also very different than any of the other DC/Marvel properties on television right now. Goyer clearly placed the heavier focus on quality actors, less so on effects.

I think at least three of us in here like it - me, dp, and RX_Sith. I think sin's on the fence, or was at last update. If we can get a few more fans, I'll break off a new thread for it. Already been renewed for a second season, so much to look forward to.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  21. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Definitely a weird ending on Krypton where Strange sees what I am guessing is Ona on the ship resurrected.

heels1785 likes this.
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I had thought that was Nyssa under Brainiac control, as if the future got changed but for the worse...

heels1785 likes this.
  23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think you're right.

This show can be so heavy and dark, but the storytelling is so well-paced, and the acting is top notch. Next week looks like a big episode.

@TiniTinyTony - you get a chance to start Krypton? Would recommend watching first two episodes - first is good, but like most pilots, not quite enough to make a judgment from.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think there should be a character called Beth-El. She can be very morally upright and go by Bethany among earthlings. Then since this show involves timtravel she can go back to Palestine for a big epic battle. In the shocker finale, they reveal her true Kryptonian name, as well as the city named in her honor.

Anyway I am going to try this show soon.

Juliet316 and Master_Rebado like this.
  25. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    @Jabba-wocky
    The movie Hitman: Agent 47 was on last night, and did the thing you're suggesting, but better. (There was nothing else on, and it was entertaining enough, don't ask... ) In that movie, there's a secret organisation of assassins who are genetically engineered superhumans. Instead of names, they have numbers. There's a pivotal character called Katia vonDees, who doesn't know that she's also one of them. It is revealed that Katia vonDees is actually a corruption of quatre-vingt-dix, the French way of saying 90. She was Agent 90. :eek:

(I specify that it's the French "way" of saying 90, because it's not just that it's in French, which is obvious, but because the literal meaning of how French people say 90 is "4-20-10", or 4x20+10, which is the weirdest lingual curiosity I've ever heard of. Swiss and Belgian Francophones say "Nonante".)